“NEEDS UPDATING”

Tulip Inn Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #297 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel March 21st for two nights. When we arrived the reception staff were helpful with storing luggage, and advised to return at 14.00. The reception area is dark, dingy and very old fashioned. We returned at about 17.00 and we were given a room number along with key. On entering the room it was quite shocking. The room itself was long, skinny with two single beds one behind the other. It looked as I imagine a prison cell to resemble. We were appalled!! I had paid over £100 a night for this room!! I went straight to reception to complain and after a while was given a triple room, that they called an upgrade. The new room was much better, with lots of room. However the room was dark and dingy, badly needed decorating, the bathroom was newish but smelt of sewers, and most important to me, there was no mattress protectors on the beds.

This hotel is in a really good position, a five minute walk from the station, just round the corner from the red light area and within a 20 minute walk from the museum area.

Apart from that it has not a lot going for it. I know Amsterdam, as all cities, is expensive, I am sure there are better hotels in this price bracket.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Tulip Inn Amsterdam Centre

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My first impressions were a little concerning as I felt the overall impression not only of the outside appearance but that of the lobby was the place was looking a bit tired. We were booked in by a straight faced young man and directed to the lift as our triple room was on the first floor. On entering the room I was pleasantly surprised, this was not the Ritz but the room was clean and spacious. We were at the back of the hotel and there was no view other than the wall opposite, however there was no street noise either. The people in the room upstairs seemed to like running around each night before settling into their beds but this was the only noise we encountered. Their was a kettle in the room and only 3 sachets of tea/coffee but then we were paying £30 each per night and for the location which was 5 mins walk to central station, 10 mins walk to Dam Square and on edge of red light district we couldn't complain. If you want a clean bed to rest your head when in Amsterdam this is the place, if you want fuss and fancy I would suggest you book something more expensive. If I had to stay here again , I would easily especially for a girlie fun time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of hotel seemed quieter.
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is right on the edge of the red light district which is a bit grim! It is easy to access from the Central Station as well as the rest of the city but it can be noisy and when we arrived back one night there was a very drunk party outside blocking the doorway. I would stay away if you have children!

We paid EUR120 for our twin room and when we checked in we were pleased with the hotels main lobby and friendly staff. We arrived at our room to quite a shock, the room number did not show on any hotel signage or in the lift which we thought was odd but when we arrived it was clear that it was a converted cupboard! The two single beds were joined head to head and it had a narrow gap between the beds and the walls. More like a cell than a hotel room. We immediately complained and were given a new room and upgraded which was lovely. The new room was airy and had plenty of space and the bathroom looked newly redecorated although smelt strongly of drains.

On the Saturday night the hotel was loud and we did not get a lot of sleep, the beds do not have mattress covers so if you move around in the night you are likely to be sleeping directly on the mattress. This happened to us and we found it pretty disgusting! The sheets and duvets all seemed quite clean.

The hotel breakfast was very average but was ok for what we wanted.

One thing to note is that the free wifi is only available in the lobby which is a bit of a pain as I would expect this to be available in the rooms.

Overall I thought that this hotel was very expensive for what we received, good for hen and stag nights but maybe not what your looking for if you are looking for a nice hotel for a city break.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 144 which was ok for what we needed and large enough to be conferable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Booked in for 3 night through a third party website for cheaper price but maybe you can get a better deal if you contact directly the hotel Was a bit afraid when I read previous comments about the noise and cleaning and the beds are not comfortable....was really impressed with the hotel, has a great location if you are a traveller and want to visit lot of thing around the city centre. Me and my partner had one of the most comfortable sleep ever in a hotel as the bed was really comfy, if the street is noise ( as the hotel is located in the city centre as many other hotels as well) close the window or visit an other quiet city! Amsterdam is a lovely city enjoy it!! We did not have any issues with the cleaning, As I am working in hotels since a few years I could of see behind the scenes, but I was satisfied whit the value what I have paid for! Thanks, would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Was looking for a swift stay in old Amsterdam...and as my usual hotel was fully booked...looked elsewhere....picked this one purely on it's location....and being a stones throw away from the Grasshopper....clean rooms....very friendly staff....will come back....thank you....;-)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SCOTRAY
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed at the tulip in with friends for the weekend two nights.
Excellent customer service staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were really nice and clean and the beds were really comfy. We got a room beside our friends also which was really good. Location is amazing you step out the front of the hotel and everything is around you within walking distance. Its also about a two minute walk from central station. I would definetly stay at this hotel again :):) love amsterdaaaaaaam

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just as the title says. Really good location in the centre of Amsterdam, 2 min walk from where the bus drops you off from the Hull to Rotterdam Ferry port. The staff were all really pleasant, the rooms were clean and comfortable. We had a room which sleeped 4 with 4 single beds and the room was very spacious with a good lay out. Breakfast was reasonably priced at 10 euros, it was also very tasty. The breakfast had bacon and sausages etc, continental, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc, plenty to choose from. I will definately stay here again on my next trip to Amsterdam.

1  Thank Lara P