“Tiny rooms!”

Hotel Vondel
Ranked #134 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Tiny rooms!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Does not deserve great value.Tiny rooms, dirty bathroom and average service.But great location!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

No way near 4stars. Overpriced for accommodation. We were up in 411 in the attic reached by either very narrow twisty staircase or teeny weeny lift. It was like living in a shoe box for 5 nights. The bathroom area to stand in is no bigger than my tiny downstairs loo at home (3'x4'). Lost count how many times my hubby banged his elbow drying himself in the morning. It must get unbearably hot up in the attic rooms in the height of the summer months as there is no air con - but they do provide a large fan! The walls are so thin and I am a very light sleeper and was kept awake til 4 am one night by two dutch ladies competing against each other in who could talk louder over each other without drawing for breadth. Our view in the loft was of next door's pantile roof. I could not tell what the weather was like til I went down for breakfast. It was a special celebration for both our 50th birthdays and cost a fortune. With hindsight we should have complained and requested to be moved. Breakfast was OK so on my birthday my treat was pancakes which was the best thing of our stay. The staff in the bar/dinning room are inexperienced and shorthanded, always offered more coffee at breakfast but would forget to come back with the pot! Got peed off with the business men having business meetings at the breakfast tables (loudly) when there were so few tables in the first place to cater for the number of guests. Ideal location away from the noise of the main route of trams and buses but try the Best Western.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angle13_11
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

It's a nice boutique hotel, convienent in the center of Amsterdam. They put me in room 207 which is very, very small. No space between bed and small desk. No airco and, how nice, paper walls between room 206 and 207. The TV set of 206 was playing so loud I thought it was the TV on my room at 3.00AM... I complained and the nightporter sorted it out, but the guest received two phone call that night at 4.00 and 6.00 am...
Nice bar, nice breakfast.

Next time ask for a large suite on the roof, a collegue of mine was lucky to have one of those....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Boutique hotel, awesome location near museums and restaurants. Drawbacks: no WIFI but there is one PC available for guests to use and they will allow you to print your boarding passes. Rooms are smaller than seem to appear pictures, but the place is clean and modern in the converted three old buildings which make up this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

- Noisy room - no sleep
- Blood stains on the wall in new room when moved..
- is a shabby 2* as decor is tiered.
- Double room booked - got a twin.
- Rude receptionist upon check out - called me a liar and demanded we pay for breakfast when we had not eaten there!
- Attitude from staff when no coffee/tea left in room - plus Only 1 mug!
- No communication between staff.
- Our luggage got lost!

Stayed 3 nights here. The room seemed okay until we TRIED to get to sleep. Even with ear plugs in we couldn't sleep as our room was below the bar with a fire escpae right ourside/above our window. Every 5 mins poeple were coming out for cigarettes so no sleep and couldn't even have a window open. Then at 4.30am they began preparing for dinner

At 7am I went upstairs to complain and the chap at reception was VERY helpful I have to say! When i mentioned the room I was in he smiled to himself and appologiesed and said that we would be moved. So we left our bags in our room and went out, came back at 1pm when we were told our room would be ready but it was not - this was ok as we went out again for the afternoon.

We returned at 6pm and the receptionist had NO idea that we were being moved and advised that she couldn't find a room as everyone had checked in so we would have tio stay where we were - then the concierge checked our original room and our luggage had been m,oved - it took the receptionist 30mins to sort this out and she when I explained I was tiered after NOT sleeping the night before - she TOLD me "well I can't find any information here so just wait ok."

When we got to our new room I was so tiered I went straight to bed for a few hours.

Then went out for dinner and noticed that a bottle of red wine had been put in our room - this was a nice gesture I thought (don't drink red but even so I was impfressed!)

THEN.... I noticed the blood on the walls just outside our room!

Ah i could go on and on as I was made to feel like I was an inconvenience being there and it just wans't nice. When we checked out we had breakfast on our bill which we had not had and when disputed this was made to feel like we were trying to get out of paying. When I mentioned I work in the travel industry she did not care!!! Funny though as I will NEVER send my clients there I have never experienced such bad manners and bad communication!!

Stay at another hotel in the area - The Best Western is next door and the marriott down the road!!

AVOID AVOID AVOID - is a shabby 2* as decor is tiered.

Room Tip: not on 1st floor - demand to be moved
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank L0ttie06
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I used to live in the area so when I came back to visit I decided to try the hotel where I had been putting up my family and friends over for a visit, including my in-laws. Big mistake... It is a shame, really, because it is such missed potential.

My biggest gripes are that: (i) My room was not properly cleaned. (ii) The staff is extremely hit or miss. I was in the (very small) elevator with two of them (who obviously did not realise that I understand Dutch) and they were griping about everything. Not really welcoming to say the least. (iii) They charge for EVERYTHING. It is a pet peeve of mine for all hotels, but I suppose the big, upmarket, chains can get away with it...Hotel Vondel really can't. I suppose others would complain about the size of the room (very, very small) and the disappointing breakfast, but as I had seen both before I was expecting them.

Good points are that the staff that do like their job are friendly and helpful and the location. The building could also be a positive, if they would renovate...

In short, it could have been so cool (and I really wanted it to be), but it was mostly missed opportunities.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank dutchguy2
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

The positives:
1) central location,
2) romantic courtyard restaurant,
3) free use of a laptop (even though it is in a corner table in the restaurant and usually occupied)
4) an upgrade to a considerably roomier executive room at 20 euros per night as the normal room was too small.
The negatives:
1) noise from the courtyard (mostly staff out for a quick smoke)
2) the sink in some rooms was less than 10 cms from the end of the faucet to the bottom of the sink! It's difficult to get all of your hands under the faucet, especially for a big person.
3) service was of uneven quality - the front desk and the restaurant had some very positive & attentive people and some that were sulky & some with an attitude; my guess is that there is a lot of turnover and no hotel-wide quality standard can be implemented.

Also, keep in mind that some rooms are split level. My friend's 75-year old Mom was initially placed in such a room with very steep steps, but the hotel helpfully assigned another room for her.

Room Tip: Beware of split level rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family