“Average At Best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #134 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, UK
“Average At Best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here on business - upon checking in, the receptionist told me I had been upgraded at no extra cost! I was very excited by this - however less so when I got to my room, which was in the basement. It was a decent size, very clean with a nice bathroom, however very little natural light, and the desk lamp didn't work.

The two "windows" were close the ceiling and as it was so hot (and there was no aircon) I opened them - only to have my room then smell of smoke from the smokers on the path outside. If I hadn't already unpacked all my stuff by then, I would have requested a different room! So I shut the windows and the staff very helpfully brought me a fan.

I ordered room service, which arrived within the stated timeframe and was of OK quality - but the menu itself was pretty limited. On the plus side, they were very quick to exchange the wrong drink that they had brought down.

Breakfast was good and I thought the dining room was pleasant but the chair I sat in was just a fraction too high. I had wireless internet in my room which I didn't think was free, but I didn't enter any credit card details and it wasn't on my bill when I checked out either. So maybe it was :)

I'm not sure I would stay here again as I'm sure there are nicer hotels for the same price.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms at all costs!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed from July 1 – July 5 2011. The hotel was constructed from a group of row houses that had the structural walls removed between them, creating one larger, wider space. This creates a different look between the “houses” which is visible as you walk down the hallways (with many dividing ledges running along the floor). The rooms are all different, so it’s a kind of unique hotel and you probably wouldn’t get the same room twice.

Front desk is slow (compared to US and Canadian standards), but service in Europe is slow. The elevators are tiny, so we had to make two trips with our bags. The room had a king bed, small desk, small table and 2 chairs. No air conditioning, no dresser. We had to live out of our suitcases. The bathroom did not have a counter, so I had to balance things on the sink, hoping they wouldn’t fall into the sink. We ran out of toilet paper (as they don’t replace what you’ve used), so I had to go to the front desk to get some more. They also do not have facecloths, so I had to go to the front desk again to beg for some. The front desk gentleman on that night was very grouchy and basically yelled at me stating there was nothing he could do as “housekeeping has left already!!”. Okay, okay. No need to yell at me. I went to the bar, hoping to get a kitchen cloth, and the fabulous bartender got me 2 facecloths in less than a minute.

For over $250 a night, I would like my toilet paper replaced as well as any toiletries – daily.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

Amsterdam is now one big tourist trap and the vondel is intent on getting it's share of that market. Rooms come at 139 euros/night, excluding breakfast.

I was originally given a room on the 4th floor (attic) which was very small and had a bathroom built into a cupboard. The bathroom was windowless and so small one had to open the door in order to physically turn around. I complained and was moved to a normal sized room after a discussion around the point that such 'attic' type rooms were typical of 'boutique' hotels. It is is this sort of hotel that 20 years ago would have been a guest house charging a fraction of the price.

On checking out an 80 euro charge appeared on my bill for early 'book in', which I had not had and they subsequently removed it. But it was interesting to know that the hotel charges 20 euros per hour if you check into your room before 3.00pm. What happened to customer service when you could check into your room when it was ready. What else was the Vondel planning to do with it?

Not all things are chargeable at the Vondel; watching the mouse scurry across the dining room floor was complimentary!

If you don't mind paying these prices..then go to a proper 4 star.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room offered on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank stopo
Brussels
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I arrived at this hotel when amsterdam had a heatwave(35°C in the evening)
Check in was very quick, no questions, they ask you just name, that's it(no more - no less). They don't ask you if this is your first time, no welcome drink, etc.
The kind reception girl told me my room was at the second stairway case down. I though a room in the basement. To my surprise, when opening the room, the room had an enjoyable atmosphere but no airconditioning, no remote control for the TV, bathroom's floorheating couldn't turn off (with 30°C in room) and the bathroom had an unpleasant smell. Next morning, i was out again.
Checl out very smooth, no questions, no advise, just pay and bye bye.
Price wise this hotel is ok, but do not expect high service.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

The only good thing about this hotel is the location.
Tiny rooms, no ventilation in toilet- disgusting, couldn't swing a cat in the bathroom.
Lack of ventilation in whole hotel.
One day our room didn't even get made up and I was told housekeeping finish at 1700hrs.
Breakfast an absolute rip off at EUR19.95. No cooked breakfast in buffet area, no hot water to make your own tea with a tea bag in a lousy glass cup.
I could go on, but my advice is don't stay at this hotel. It isn't even cheap!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank seanpaultaylor1964
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in June and initially loved it, the rooms are specious and nice, the hotel is located in a quiet street only one block from leidseplein, a very central square.
We were however struck with how RUDE the receptionists were- already a arrival they were rather harsh and unfriendly, and when we came in one day in the evening and our beds had not been made up she blamed us and then continued stating that she was just the receptioninst and had no idea- very unprofessional. For the rest the stay was pleasant.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Does not deserve great value.Tiny rooms, dirty bathroom and average service.But great location!

• Stayed June 2011