“Reasonable price and place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Vondel

Hotel Vondel
Ranked #134 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Reasonable price and place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Main criticism would be the size of the rooms. As they were also very dark with all the doors etc being black this made it worse. Bathroom and toilet were also very small. Toilet smelt of drains. The fittings were okay and the bed was very comfortable. The rooms were clean. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful although a couple of them seemed very inexpierienced. We did not eat in the hotel mainly because we like to try different restaurants. We did'nt have the breakfast as this was very expensive even by Amsterdam hotel standards. Very convieniently situated for the city centre. Overall reasonable value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I did my research, especially on trip advisor, so I knew there was the risk of the hotel not pleasing me completely.....and that was the case! The rooms are small and packed full of furniture, depressing, and in need of updating in terms of paint, etc. Although, I was traveling with my children so I thought to downscale things, and don't regret my decision to stay there. The price was right, the location is great, and the hotel does have a good feeling in the common areas.
The areas where I did have problems was the following: the reception staff cold & unwelcoming, breakfast expensive for what it was, wifi not free even in common areas (come on people!!), and I had a major problem to get my sheets changed. Finally on day 4 of our stay I had to throw a fit in the lobby with the management asking why do I have the SAME PILLOW CASES after 4 days. I started my complaint the first 3 times with the reception staff who treated me like I was a difficult client and they were rude....then on the 4th day I called in the management into the story. They were very surprised, very helpful, very apologetic, and had the situation resolved immediately. And to go further they offered us dinner in their restaurant, which is quite good, and the staff there very nice! So although we had some problems, and I was not at all impressed with the place.....it is well located and the hotel is not the worst I've seen. And not sure they deserve 4 stars!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tatude
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Our stay was brilliant the hotel is lovely rite in center but just dwn nice quiet road away frm noise but it is perfectly safe..the staff are really nice and always there to help to get there take train to central station and tram 1,2 or 5 to leidisplein nd as u get of look to ur left and there a street straight over it just dwn dere.. the only ting we didnt no bout was we had to give 50euro deposit u had to give at start of stay for if u used internet telephone or minibar i wuld recomend tat u dnt use these cos very expencive if do room to room calls free.. the drinks nd food quiet expensive i wuld recommend u get tram to dam square tram 1 2 or 5 again food is lot cheaper.. overall stay was brilliant nt one complaint bout hotel nd we stayed in a small double

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank anastid
Crawley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed at Hotel Vondel for two nights beginning of February. We arrived early morning, but the room wasn't available until 3pm. The hotel allowed us to check in and leave our luggage with them. When returning back at 3 they told us they were upgrading our room for free from the small double to the executive suite. The room was lovely especially the bathroom. Brilliant shower and very well decorated. The bed was the comfiest bed I have ever slept in. I had no complaints about the room. It was very cold outside around -12 at times, but the room was really warm too warm some may say, even when the heating wasn't on it was still very warm which some may find uncomfortable. Rooms were cleaned daily.

The hotel was in a great location and I didn't find it noisy at all. We didn't eat in the hotel as it was rather expensive, especially the breakfast. Food did look nice and was well presented.

Public transport is on the doorstep and is very cheap. Used the bus to get to the airport which only cost €4 much cheaper than a cab.

If returning to Amsterdam I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MI5TY
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. Our room was small but having booked for a very reasonable price it was acceptable. The room was newly decorated as was the bathroom with beautiful tiles. Although very modern sometimes it seems they lost their focus on functionality. The tap at the sink in the bathroom leaves you little space to wash hands properly which was highly weird.
However since we got the room for a good price we checked the guest information. To our astonishment we found the DVD player that you can lend from reception is 10€ plus a mere 200€ deposit. A bike will be 13€ plus a 500€ deposit. Although the daily charges are ok, the deposits are just extortionate!
Also one evening we spent in the lounge area. One member of staff was asked about the charges for breakfast. I did not catch the amount but just heard the guest mentioning this is a very high charge to which the member of staff answered "yes, this is so the owner can buy another car." hmmm, nothing the customer needs to know, and seems like there are some problems between management and staff..

The housekeepers have always done a great job and were very respectful of the do not disturb signs.. I have eperienced otherwise before.

I found the rooms to be very warm at times and leaving the window open is not ideal as there is a lot of noise coming from the street in the mornings.
But all in all, the location of the hotel was great, we could experience the whole city by foot. I can recommend this hotel to people who do not have a problem with small spaces.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juli-scot
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I booked this hotel at the eleventh hour as i just could make up my mind on where to book and was just running out of time! As I had left it so late, I couldn't afford the rooms that were left in the other few hotels I wanted to stay in. Upon arrival we were immediately charged about 50 euros for what I understood after asking a few members of staff a safety deposit, i thought this was a bit crude to assume that we were going to damage anything! We were allocated room 204(?) it was midway up the stairs. The room was dark and a bit cramped, the bathroom was small with a tiny sink that you could hardly wash your face in. The more I looked at this room the more I wanted to kick myself for booking it. The walls were not insulated at all so being that it was around -10degrees outside you could feel a draft when you were near the walls. the lighting wasn't great and there was no cupboard for clothes. The hotel does have a restaurant(we didn't eat there) but it was nice and quiet at night so we slept well. Mornings however was another story, we could hear the buzz of breakfast service and all the guests walking up and down past our door....not a happy bunny. We found that the staff were not very friendly either and when i asked where Albert Cuyp market was the receptionist circled the nine streets???!! They barely cleaned the room and didn't replenish the tea/coffee sachets unless we asked. On the plus side, the location was very good as we were within walking/tram distance of most places, the shower was very very good and there is free internet. They did also leave a bottle of wine for my husband as we were there for his birthday, that was a nice gesture. Overall I would definitely stay in that area but not in this hotel.

Room Tip: Dont book a small double unless your on your own!