“Absolutely perfect”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #19 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 April 2014

It's so rare these days to find service at this top level. The concierge staff, bell staff, wait staff and reception staff were all perfect. It was the epitome of service. We were offered a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite or a canal view for 200 euros a night. We took the comp. The junior suite was ample in space with plenty of closet and storage space for a one week stay. The bathroom was simply perfectly practical, beautiful blue heated tile walls with a large soaking tub and separate shower along with a double vanity with more than sufficient counter space for all the toiletries that we brought, or for that matter, could have brought. The towels were soft and huge and there were plenty of them. Room provided a comfortable refuge at the end of each day of our sightseeing. I really can't say much more than it was perfect and we can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade as I believe that they will give it freely if it's available
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,606)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Perfectly ok stay but no more. Friendly staff in the main but lacking finesse in some areas. Decor uninspired. Slightly out of control situation in the Brasserie. We booked a canal side table (and in fact went to the restaurant to confirm earlier in the day) only to find on arrival for the dinner with our friends, that the tables had been booked by others, so not available after all.

Room Tip: Do not have a room in the eves - no views!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abigail58
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Have stayed here a few times, before and after the expansion. Always outstanding service and accommodations. The bathrooms and rooms are large, furnishings very comfortable & high end. Great location, will stay again when next in town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Luxury. Service. Satisfaction. Those are the three words that describe my impression of the Hotel De L'Europe. This was our first stay in Amsterdam and if ever we return, this will be where we will stay again. We were upgraded to a junior suite and upon entering, we were impressed with the room immediately. The king-sized bed had the biggest pillows I had ever seen! The room was immaculate and equipped with high-tech features that helped to enhance our stay. We loved the lighting feature which softly illuminates the floor and bathroom when you need to get up in the middle of the night without turning on the overhead lights or nightstand lamps and appreciated the lighting within the closet as well. An iPad was also available in the room for use. Rembrandt replicas adorned the walls, which was very appropriate for the location.

The staff...I'm not sure I can do the staff justice in trying to convey their dedication to service. I often felt they were going beyond the call of duty, but I am sure this is simply their standard service model. Excellent in every way!

The centralized location allowed for easy walking to all of our local destinations. I enjoyed how the Hotel De L'Europe is featured as one of the points of interest on the canal cruise we took, which helped validate how special this hotel is!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rajj976
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Disappointing service. The receptionist tried to sell us an 'upgrade' on arrival for 50 Euros 'for a room of the same calibre' but a better view. Seeing that we checked in at night, and that they were unlikely to fill this 'better' room with another guest, it seemed particularly unfriendly and unwelcoming. I found this kind of service embarrassing - clearly, they were trying to put pressure on us as a couple. I think a younger couple might have felt the need to take the upgrade.

I emailed the hotel to ask about this. They acknowledged receipt of my email, but have not had the interest to reply.

Also, why have two separate mattresses on a kingsized bed? A bit disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A N
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to write to us about your experience at De L'Europe. I am very sorry to read that your arrival experience left you dissappointed. Please note that it is by no means our intention to pressurise anyone into accepting a higher room category. Depending on our ocupancy levels it is sometimes decided to offer our arriving guests a higher room category at a reduced rate due to last minute availability. Please accept my sincere apologies if this proposal came unwanted and for the fact that the Front Desk was not in a position to offer the upgrade free of charge. Unfortunately I was unable to trace any correspondance asking for a reaction rom the management. If you decide to visit Amsterdam again at some point in the future I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly in order for me to personally overlook your stay.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I recently stayed here for the second time. After being extremely happy with the hotel the first time i was afraid it could only be a disappointment this time. I was wrong. I even stayed a night lobger than planned. Mainly because I wanted to enjoy the brand new Spa and go to the Rijksmuseum again.
Now I could go on and on about the staff and hotel and rooms, but I have said how great it is in my previous review. I had yet again a perfectly nice room. This time I would like to mention I used the new Spa and absolutely loved it. Beautifull treatment-rooms and relaxing sauna, steambath and infra-red sauna. Each with their own showerroom. Nice friendly staff and very good treatments. Good Pedicure (also medical), lovely bodywraps and massage and an absolute perfect facial. My eyebrows have never ever looked so good (ask for Joyce) The Spa alone is worth going to Amsterdam for:)

Also had lunch in their awardwinning restaurant. wich was ABSOLUTELY fantastic. Lovely flavours and so amazingly presented.

Ofcourse no Hotel is 100% perfect. Surely little things may go wrong here also. But i find them not worth mentioning as they would totally be irrelevant within the whole experience of staying in this Hotel. I advice everybody to please go and try.

Room Tip: dont think they have ANY bad rooms. If you want the window to open for fresh air ask for a room in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sigrid66
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and me on a short trip to Amsterdam decided to stay at this wonderful hotel owned by the Heineken Family. We had a nice Junior Suite overlooking the Amstel river. A nice large bathroom with a heated marble floor and a large king bed made the stay extremely comfortable. The house keeping and room service staff were efficient. The restaurants at the hotel were great and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family