“5 Star Hotel with 2 Star Service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #15 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Knoxville, Tennessee
“5 Star Hotel with 2 Star Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I will net this out:

Cons:

- Requested room to be made up at 10AM, returned to hotel at 11:30 - not made up, made 2nd request to hotel staff "I am so sorry" at 11:30 when leaving for lunch, returned at 12:30 - still not made up, 3rd request to to front desk "I am very sorry, will take of it immediately" at 12:30 - returned to hotel at 2:30PM - still not made up.

- Turn the TV on - 1 to 2 minutes later it would turn off by itself. Contacted front desk, "So sorry, will get it fixed right away". Next day turned TV on - 10 minutes later it turned off. Tried it again that evening, stayed on for 25 minutes, then turned off.

- Bathroom light turned on and off by itself. Contacted front desk, "Very sorry, will send someone fix it right away". About 30 minutes later 2 men came to the room and asked if I was having trouble with the bathroom light. I responded yes. He said he needed to get something and would return - never returned.

- I was told I was upgraded from a Superior to Deluxe room. I would hate to see the size of a Superior room. One window you could not see out of because it was in an alcove above a table. The room's wardrobe closet had 6 hangers with enough room barely for a few shirts, jacket and a pair of pants. Average amount of clothes for 2 people would never come close to fitting in this tiny space.

- Placed "Do Not Disturb" sign on door. Knock, Knock, opened door - hotel staff member wanted to check the minibar. I asked if he could come back later, he insisted "would just take a moment". I again requested he come back later and again he insisted and wouldn't leave. To get rid of him I agreed, he came in, checked the minibar, thanked me, and left. Maybe he couldn't read.

PROS:

- The elevator world well
- Wonderful check-out process
- Good internet
- Good location

Room Tip: If you need an adequate sized room with normal closet space, a window you can actually look out of...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Itravel19
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback and I am very sorry to read that you did not experience the service we like to pride ourselves with.

There is no excuse for the fact your Do Not Distrurb request was not honored and neither for you having to ask for Housekeeping service 3 times. Our rooms feature motion detector lighting which explains your bathroom lights going on by themselves however please accept my apologies if this was not explained properly.

I am sorry we did not get to meet whilst you were in residence but I would like to invite you to contact me directly via my personal email which is jbronsveld@leurope.nl in order to have the opportunity to turn things around.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visiting Amsterdam for business this week I decided to stay somewhere different and booked this small luxury hotel for 2 nights.

The hotel is well positioned and more traditional than the Conservatorium where others in my group decided to stay.

We booked through Expedia VIP Elite and were upgraded on check in to Junior Suites on the 3rd and 4th floors. Whilst small, the accommodation was very well appointed with small sitting rooms, iPad and full entertainment system although I found the lighting impossible to fathom, as indeed was the coffee maker which should come with clear instructions.

Comfortable big beds, quality bed linen and in room amenities and the biggest and heaviest pillows I have ever seen. Large, beautifully appointed floor to ceiling marble bathrooms with good showers.

Whist expensive by any standard this hotel gets my vote as a serious alternative to other allegedly 5 star hotels in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WorldTravellerFirst
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We spent our honeymoon in Amsterdam so we thought we would go back for our 50th. We had a fantastic time. The room was excellent, the staff so helpful, the restaurants top class. The bed was huge, very comfortable and about the size as the room we stayed in on our honeymoon. The size of the pillows was beyond belief. The marble bathroom was very special. The concierge staff were very efficient and organised trips for us, provided tickets so we did not have to queue and gave us excellent advice where to eat, including booking on our behalf. Truly a world class hotel. We are seasoned travellers and know a good thing when we see it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Galloway, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The title is a large one to fill but I believe this hotel was the BEST overall hotel I have stayed (with the Marmara Bodrum in Turkey very close!).
I would consider myself an above aaverage traveler who recognizes good value and service.
From the moment we checked in, to the exit, this hotel exceeded our expectations.
Quick and easy check in (with a tour of our room and ameneties), a great concierge and staff, great breakfast, our room was large and clean with an ipad to go online, the best hotel shower, awesome breakfast, great location, Freddy's bar is nice and great reviews on their Michelin Star restaurant (we had other reservations), elegant and historical buiulding.

What impressed me the most was the staff's attention to detail, top to bottom. That made a world of a difference.

My wife and I cannot rave enough about this hotel. Thank you to the entire staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Curzay-sur-Vonne, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I booked De L'Europe Amsterdam Hotel as my husband's advice for my vacation. The hotel was truly awesome as the first class hotel. I love it from outside to inside, it seems perfectly perfect. It looked like an old castle, so historic, royal and luxury. I felt like a queen when I stayed here. My room was spacious, cozy and classy with classic design, high quality furniture and amazing river view. The bathroom was small, but clean and comfortable. I love gym centre, it had modern equipment. The indoor swimming pool was small, but peaceful. Few customers used this pool, so it was the quiet place to enjoy cocktail and read a book.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ggodoa
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

i booked this hotel for just a night, it was comfortable (the lighting system was a little too clever for me though, with sensors and a complicated setup in the bathroom where i was mostly in the dark) The location was great, very central.
As the hotel did have many available rooms I asked if I could have a larger room as mine was quite small but this could sadly not happen without a significant increase in price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Over the last 17 years I have stayed in countless different hotels in Amsterdam and the hotel De L'Europe is without a doubt the best of the lot.
The most spacious rooms, the best service and staff and an excellent location.
They say you get what you pay for and although this hotel is not cheap, it is definitely value for money.
I will definitely be staying here again on my next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple