“A Fantastic beginning for a wonderful Castles on the Rhine River Cruise”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #16 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tifton
“A Fantastic beginning for a wonderful Castles on the Rhine River Cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed 2 wonderful nights at this first class hotel in Amsterdam before our Uniworld River Cruise. Before we even unpacked our luggage the super concierge recommended that we take the canal cruise from the hotel. That was the highlight of our stay and our photos were gorgeous. The pictures of our hotel at night were spectacular and we enjoyed our table by the window in the bar with the nicest bartenders. The fresh flowers, nothing but beautiful and unusual orchids, were breathtaking. The doorman was so helpful in finding us restaurants and even helped me get into the luggage room to change into warmer clothes in my suitcase!!! The room was the prettiest room we have ever stayed in , a room fit for a king and queen! We speak English and the entire reception staff were so helpful . Our pictures were posted on facebook and everyone loved them and wished that they were there ! We hope to come back!!

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad room in this hotel!!!
1 Thank TiftonTravelers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed only one night at the end of a cruise, but we were totally impressed and, therefore, satisfied! It has been refurbished in the recent past and we had a newly added room. The room was superb and was very quiet even though overlooking a busy canal. The service couldn't have been better. We have been fortunate to have stayed in many of the "big name" hotels in Europe, Paris and London for example, and this is as good as any of them!

We ate dinner in the Brasserie and it was also superb. My wife, who knows her food, said that her pan-fried sole was as good as any she had ever had, including 3-star Michelin restaurants in Paris.

While not inexpensive, for a world-class hotel in a great location in a major city in Europe, we thought the value was excellent.

We have stayed at other Amsterdam hotels through the years, but this one is our new "home" in Amsterdam!

3 Thank GeeAtl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two nights, the rooms are spacious, and seem to be recently refurbished. Staff was fine, i had no issues. The breakfast buffet was very limited in choices.
In general, I think it's good hotel, not value for money.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank B_traveller_2050
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I will net this out:

Cons:

- Requested room to be made up at 10AM, returned to hotel at 11:30 - not made up, made 2nd request to hotel staff "I am so sorry" at 11:30 when leaving for lunch, returned at 12:30 - still not made up, 3rd request to to front desk "I am very sorry, will take of it immediately" at 12:30 - returned to hotel at 2:30PM - still not made up.

- Turn the TV on - 1 to 2 minutes later it would turn off by itself. Contacted front desk, "So sorry, will get it fixed right away". Next day turned TV on - 10 minutes later it turned off. Tried it again that evening, stayed on for 25 minutes, then turned off.

- Bathroom light turned on and off by itself. Contacted front desk, "Very sorry, will send someone fix it right away". About 30 minutes later 2 men came to the room and asked if I was having trouble with the bathroom light. I responded yes. He said he needed to get something and would return - never returned.

- I was told I was upgraded from a Superior to Deluxe room. I would hate to see the size of a Superior room. One window you could not see out of because it was in an alcove above a table. The room's wardrobe closet had 6 hangers with enough room barely for a few shirts, jacket and a pair of pants. Average amount of clothes for 2 people would never come close to fitting in this tiny space.

- Placed "Do Not Disturb" sign on door. Knock, Knock, opened door - hotel staff member wanted to check the minibar. I asked if he could come back later, he insisted "would just take a moment". I again requested he come back later and again he insisted and wouldn't leave. To get rid of him I agreed, he came in, checked the minibar, thanked me, and left. Maybe he couldn't read.

PROS:

- The elevator world well
- Wonderful check-out process
- Good internet
- Good location

Room Tip: If you need an adequate sized room with normal closet space, a window you can actually look out of...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Itravel19
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback and I am very sorry to read that you did not experience the service we like to pride ourselves with.

There is no excuse for the fact your Do Not Distrurb request was not honored and neither for you having to ask for Housekeeping service 3 times. Our rooms feature motion detector lighting which explains your bathroom lights going on by themselves however please accept my apologies if this was not explained properly.

I am sorry we did not get to meet whilst you were in residence but I would like to invite you to contact me directly via my personal email which is jbronsveld@leurope.nl in order to have the opportunity to turn things around.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visiting Amsterdam for business this week I decided to stay somewhere different and booked this small luxury hotel for 2 nights.

The hotel is well positioned and more traditional than the Conservatorium where others in my group decided to stay.

We booked through Expedia VIP Elite and were upgraded on check in to Junior Suites on the 3rd and 4th floors. Whilst small, the accommodation was very well appointed with small sitting rooms, iPad and full entertainment system although I found the lighting impossible to fathom, as indeed was the coffee maker which should come with clear instructions.

Comfortable big beds, quality bed linen and in room amenities and the biggest and heaviest pillows I have ever seen. Large, beautifully appointed floor to ceiling marble bathrooms with good showers.

Whist expensive by any standard this hotel gets my vote as a serious alternative to other allegedly 5 star hotels in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WorldTravellerFirst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We spent our honeymoon in Amsterdam so we thought we would go back for our 50th. We had a fantastic time. The room was excellent, the staff so helpful, the restaurants top class. The bed was huge, very comfortable and about the size as the room we stayed in on our honeymoon. The size of the pillows was beyond belief. The marble bathroom was very special. The concierge staff were very efficient and organised trips for us, provided tickets so we did not have to queue and gave us excellent advice where to eat, including booking on our behalf. Truly a world class hotel. We are seasoned travellers and know a good thing when we see it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Galloway, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The title is a large one to fill but I believe this hotel was the BEST overall hotel I have stayed (with the Marmara Bodrum in Turkey very close!).
I would consider myself an above aaverage traveler who recognizes good value and service.
From the moment we checked in, to the exit, this hotel exceeded our expectations.
Quick and easy check in (with a tour of our room and ameneties), a great concierge and staff, great breakfast, our room was large and clean with an ipad to go online, the best hotel shower, awesome breakfast, great location, Freddy's bar is nice and great reviews on their Michelin Star restaurant (we had other reservations), elegant and historical buiulding.

What impressed me the most was the staff's attention to detail, top to bottom. That made a world of a difference.

My wife and I cannot rave enough about this hotel. Thank you to the entire staff!