“Luxory Hotel in MOST respects but not all...”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #16 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Westlake Village, California
“Luxory Hotel in MOST respects but not all...”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

For our first visit to Amsterdam, my family and I chose this hotel because of its amenities and the fact that it is centrally located to most attractions. We did find that we were able to walk to the museums, restaurants, etc. in 5-20 minutes. The service was excellent - starting with the bellman and continuing throughout our stay here. The room had an excellent view of the adjoining canal and neighborhood. The pool is very nice (which is important for the kids.) Unfortunately, there are a few things missing that doesn't make this a 5 star hotel. The room does not have an iron - they expect you to send your clothes to their laundry service if you need pressing. (At exorbitant rates of course.) The breakfast buffet is fairly simple and (at least on the days we checked it out) populated by flies. Finally, the sound from the downstairs bar seeped up into our room at night. For the price we paid, I would have expected better.

2 Thank Steve P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'd like to provide some examples of subpar service that do not correspond with a 5 star hotel.

At the breakfast buffet, while getting my food, I noticed there was some dirt or debris in one of the cereal bowls. I asked the hostess if I could have some low fat yogurt, and she asked a young waiter to take care of it. I saw him walk over and pick up that very bowl, flick the dirty object out of it with his finger and take it into the kitchen. He returned with the yogurt in the bowl. I was disgusted.

I prepaid for my room, which was clearly indicated on my reservation, but there was a small charge for the room anyway. Rather than just immediately removing it from the bill, the receptionist had to research it with the back office and only then remove it.

The taxi arranged by the doorman charged almost 60 euros to take me to the airport, early in the morning when there was no traffic. I know that the proper rate is around 42 euros. I know this kind of nonsense goes on at many hotels, but why try to fleece the guest who has just spent a bundle at your hotel.

Each of these is a small thing perhaps, but taken together they display a bad attitude that undermines the hospitality that one should expect at a great hotel. Of course, management might now comment or apologize. That means nothing. I suggest more quality control so that it doesn't happen--then everyone will be happier.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank john23
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear John,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with me in regards to your recent visit to De L'Europe.

It shocked me to read about your breakfast experience and I sincerely hope that you pointed this out to the person in question or the managemnt on the floor that day. If not, please do contact me directly in order for me to investigate this incident further. Hygene- and service standards are our highest priority and are being monitored on a daily basis.

I am happy to read that the small charge on your bill was removed after a short investigation. The charge in question was most likely the City Tax which is included in certain room packages but not with all.

Taxi fares to Amsterdam Schiphol from our hotel (Nieuwe Doelenstraat) are usually between 50 & 55 Euro. Taxis work on a meter basis and are not affiliated with our hotel. Please use the following link for future reference:

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me via direct mail if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
jbronsveld@leurope.nl
Perth
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my third stay in Amsterdam but this hotel was a great find. It is so central. The staff were amazingly helpful. The junior suite we were upgraded too was beautifully furnished and overlooking a canal. The large well appointed marble bathroom was beautiful. Their spa and beauty centre was great. The only small criticism was breakfast which was expensive and not consistent. It is 5 star so not cheap but also not over the top. You can walk everywhere from this point.

Room Tip: Room overlooking canal - then you know you are in Amsterdam!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed in riverside suite room with my teenage daughter and we had a wonderful couple of days. The atmosphere of the hotel is warm and welcoming. Hotel is decorated throughout with Old Master reds, deep blues and hot yellows which make a welcome change from the usual hotel neutrals. First class service. No unnecessary fuss. Our suite was large and had the best hotel bathroom/wet-room I've ever used. Three huge windows overlooking the river meant you could happily stay there all day and watch the boats and passers by if you were so inclined. Breakfasts gorgeous. Everything we possibly wanted and with that beautiful view to enjoy. The spa on the river level was a hidden gem. The gym was a good size and well stocked. Beautifully presented, clean and appealing. Can't recommend De L'Europe enough.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a riverside view and you won't be disappointed
1 Thank Sophia5151
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Had a fantastic stay at The De L'Europe!! My friend and I were greeted by the most welcoming staff who really looked after us for the entire stay. Our room was lovely with a small balcony,good view and an amazing marble bathroom with heated flooring. The bed was also ridiculously comfy!

The staff at the hotel really made our trip extra special by recommending some great bars and restaurants and also made sure we found our way round the city with ease.

Great hotel in a beautiful location!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We recently returned from a trip to Amsterdam and Belgium. I wanted our first five nights in Amsterdam to be special so I selected a suite for five nights at this hotel. This hotel is magnificent. It overlooks the canal and exudes European charm. Our suite was spacious with a gorgeous bedroom and a separate are to bath and shower with a TV and separate bathroom. The bed was so comfortable and they provide slippers that are like walking on marshmallows. My daughters bed in the living area was super comfy as well. The hotel staff is top rate. Our early flight was cancelled. They responded immediately to our email regarding a later arrival. The concierge helped with restaurant recommendations, directions and reservations. They are so friendly. One night we wanted a snack and we were brought a delightful array of nuts. The cleaning staff was also wonderful. The night manager who assisted with train reservations to Brussels was patient and kind even though I was a little irritable. (Glad we did not book later return train from Brussels to Amsterdam as we could not wait to return to Amsterdam and got out of Brussels on earliest train. The location is perfect. Within walking distance of great restaurants, museums, and shopping. If you really ant to be treated like royalty then definitely stay at this amazing hotel. It made our trip to Amsterdam really special. (we are the family who had a cell phone loss. Thanks to all of your staff.

Room Tip: I would recommend the suite. Fresh flowers in the lobby and room. Like having a spa in your own r...
1 Thank skittlesdog
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was our first visit to Amsterdam. My husband and I were extremely impressed with the welcome we received on arrival. Amanda, at the reception desk, had excellent customer service skills (and a smile that did not leave her for the five days we were there).
We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Deluxe suites have a super view of the city and the flower market.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple