“Wonderful”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #19 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We did not have a room with canal views but the hotel staff is so friendly and the hotel is so well situated that it did not matter.I would highly recommend this hotel and would not stay anywhere else when visiting Amsterdam.Thanks D L'Europe for a memorable stay.

1  Thank Brian-Estelle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of staying 4 nights at this wonderful hotel. I would highly recommend it. The staff and service were outstanding. We have stayed at top hotels worldwide and this one ranks right up there. The location is superb.....right in the middle of everything and within walking distance of most major sights. The rooms were great. We were in suites both times which could not have been nicer. The food was excellent at the restaurants in the hotel. We also enjoyed the spa on two occasions and had very enjoyable treatments. This is a great hotel and I can assure you that you will have a wonderful time there.

Room Tip: The suites are lovely and spacious
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is beautifully positioned at the corner of a canal with great views of passing river craft. The interior is a bit of a puzzle with gestures to grandeur in the form of very large chandeliers and over scaled reproductions of famous Dutch paintings clumsily obscured behind the chandeliers,set against nasty pink walls. The rooms have more controls for temperature and lighting than can be found in a cockpit. Once you work these out there are benefits like lights that guide you to the loo should you be geographically challenged in a 4 meter square room. However I found it all rather over designed and needlessly complicated. The linen is superb however and the breakfasts were freshly prepared. The bar is well stocked and if you like a gin martini the bar has a good range of gins and the barman is skilled.
But on balance I would look for something with less strained decor effects on my next visit to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The rooms looking onto the central court are gloomy. Make sure you have a view out.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank auroramarquard
Reviewed 22 August 2014

For our first visit to Amsterdam, my family and I chose this hotel because of its amenities and the fact that it is centrally located to most attractions. We did find that we were able to walk to the museums, restaurants, etc. in 5-20 minutes. The service was excellent - starting with the bellman and continuing throughout our stay here. The room had an excellent view of the adjoining canal and neighborhood. The pool is very nice (which is important for the kids.) Unfortunately, there are a few things missing that doesn't make this a 5 star hotel. The room does not have an iron - they expect you to send your clothes to their laundry service if you need pressing. (At exorbitant rates of course.) The breakfast buffet is fairly simple and (at least on the days we checked it out) populated by flies. Finally, the sound from the downstairs bar seeped up into our room at night. For the price we paid, I would have expected better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'd like to provide some examples of subpar service that do not correspond with a 5 star hotel.

At the breakfast buffet, while getting my food, I noticed there was some dirt or debris in one of the cereal bowls. I asked the hostess if I could have some low fat yogurt, and she asked a young waiter to take care of it. I saw him walk over and pick up that very bowl, flick the dirty object out of it with his finger and take it into the kitchen. He returned with the yogurt in the bowl. I was disgusted.

I prepaid for my room, which was clearly indicated on my reservation, but there was a small charge for the room anyway. Rather than just immediately removing it from the bill, the receptionist had to research it with the back office and only then remove it.

The taxi arranged by the doorman charged almost 60 euros to take me to the airport, early in the morning when there was no traffic. I know that the proper rate is around 42 euros. I know this kind of nonsense goes on at many hotels, but why try to fleece the guest who has just spent a bundle at your hotel.

Each of these is a small thing perhaps, but taken together they display a bad attitude that undermines the hospitality that one should expect at a great hotel. Of course, management might now comment or apologize. That means nothing. I suggest more quality control so that it doesn't happen--then everyone will be happier.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank john23
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear John,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with me in regards to your recent visit to De L'Europe.

It shocked me to read about your breakfast experience and I sincerely hope that you pointed this out to the person in question or the managemnt on the floor that day. If not, please do contact me directly in order for me to investigate this incident further. Hygene- and service standards are our highest priority and are being monitored on a daily basis.

I am happy to read that the small charge on your bill was removed after a short investigation. The charge in question was most likely the City Tax which is included in certain room packages but not with all.

Taxi fares to Amsterdam Schiphol from our hotel (Nieuwe Doelenstraat) are usually between 50 & 55 Euro. Taxis work on a meter basis and are not affiliated with our hotel. Please use the following link for future reference:

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me via direct mail if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
jbronsveld@leurope.nl

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my third stay in Amsterdam but this hotel was a great find. It is so central. The staff were amazingly helpful. The junior suite we were upgraded too was beautifully furnished and overlooking a canal. The large well appointed marble bathroom was beautiful. Their spa and beauty centre was great. The only small criticism was breakfast which was expensive and not consistent. It is 5 star so not cheap but also not over the top. You can walk everywhere from this point.

Room Tip: Room overlooking canal - then you know you are in Amsterdam!
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed in riverside suite room with my teenage daughter and we had a wonderful couple of days. The atmosphere of the hotel is warm and welcoming. Hotel is decorated throughout with Old Master reds, deep blues and hot yellows which make a welcome change from the usual hotel neutrals. First class service. No unnecessary fuss. Our suite was large and had the best hotel bathroom/wet-room I've ever used. Three huge windows overlooking the river meant you could happily stay there all day and watch the boats and passers by if you were so inclined. Breakfasts gorgeous. Everything we possibly wanted and with that beautiful view to enjoy. The spa on the river level was a hidden gem. The gym was a good size and well stocked. Beautifully presented, clean and appealing. Can't recommend De L'Europe enough.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a riverside view and you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family