“Clean, close and reasonable ”

Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam
Ranked #186 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for 4 nights on a recent get away to Amsterdam.

Prior to going I had asked the hotel on their Facebook page the best way to get their from central station and they were quick to reply with good directions.

The hotel is easy to find from the Leidseplein team stop and was very welcoming.

The room we had was a twin and it was more than adequate for what we wanted and for what we paid for. I've seen much worse and also much better but with better and extra facilities comes extra cost.

In the small dining area was free coffee and tea which was a nice bonus and just down the road is a supermarket (were we bought breakfast items from).

Why get an over priced extravagant room when all your doing is sleeping and showering in it.

Worth the stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJ P
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It pleases me to read that you enjoyed staying with us and appreciated our services.

With kind regards,
Stefaan, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The location was very good.all the attractions like Anne frank house,Van Gogh museums,etc,and the main shopping streets were all within walking distance.The trams costs 7euro for an hours useage if you fancy the experience, and it stops just by the Marriott.Redlight district and the de Bijenkorf mall is slightly further but is a pleasant walk across the canals,the flower stalls and historic buildings.
The Hampshire is modern and clean.Reception staff were polite and friendly. The room is clean albeit not very big...there was no where to put the suitcase.the towels were changed during our 3day stay and the beds made daily. The only complaint we had was the quality of the breakfast which consisted of the same plate of sliced cheese and same plates of ham and boiled eggs,toast and muesli.I didn't think the ham and cheese were fresh and had been there for some time...and we had it for the same 3 days!
Best thing was the free coffee machine which made lovely lattes.if you have to check out before 730am on a Saturday,you won't get any refreshment as the machine is not on till 730 as per "house rules"there is no tea making facilities in the rooms.
I would advice that you request for twin beds instead of a double as you may get a bigger room....and take your own pillows.never seen a lumpier pillow in my life!
But it's been a pleasant stay and the location was great for a weekend break...lots of shops,lots of restaurants.i

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to write your findings about our hotel and your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important for us, so we can learn from our guests' experiences and may even better ourselves, where it is needed. I would like to comment on our Continental Breakfast Buffet; please be assured that all items are fresh and prepared daily. The health and safety of our guests has our top priority and we therefore securely follow the regulations in place for the hospitality industry in the Netherlands. The other points raised will be discussed internally, so thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

230 euro a night? A tiny room which you can barely move around in. The beds were bowed. The walls were paper thin. It was convenient location wise. 36 euro parking a day... Although it does allow you to park in their own garage. There was a local shop with average bits close by and a short walk to get a bong and a crepe, or smoke and a pancake.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Saffire,

I guess you stayed with us during the holiday season and were confronted with high rates in Amsterdam around New Year. We are a small three star city cntre hotel located in three former townhouses. Our standard rooms may seem small, but are within regulations for a hotel of our standard, For more comfort (and space) we recommend our Superior rooms. Thank you for your feed-back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Hi

I stayed here from 09/12/13 to 14/09/13

My room was small and so was the single bed. But it was clean and for me the bed was very comfortable. No problem sleeping, if however you are planning to bring someone back its going to be a tight squeeze. The view was of a courtyard but it was better than a room that faced the 'busy 'main road that run in front of the building. It was very difficult to hear any road noise in my room.

The breakfast room was nice and there was a small selection of foods on offer. I did not try eating out for breakfast because I was up early every day and so 9 euros for a simple breakfast was adequate. There was free tea and coffee in the breakfast room but not in the rooms, slightly annoying but no real hassle for me.

They cleaned the room every day except Friday for some reason but on Saturday it was cleaned and with the 'manager of cleaning' asking if everything was ok. So no real harm done for that minor slip.

My battery for my room safe failed on the second day and so they put my valuables in their safe for no charge and they had my safe battery fixed by the time I came back to the hotel. The guy on the desk did not want a tip for this when I offered it but I practically forced it on him.

My only real complaint would be of my room was I would have liked the lighting to be a bit more brighter. Also I could only find one plug socket in the room to charge my stuff up but that was no real problem. Bathroom was ok with a shower-I am never fond of them and the soap dispenser was always empty but I always bring my own stuff anyway.

Location was excellent only a five min walk from Leidseplein square where the airport bus dropped me off. Walk across the bridge and do a right its about a 10 min walk. Leidseplein square has may tram stops where I could get to Amsterdam central station. I never went out really late but it is a main road and 'should' be ok. I had more trouble crossing the bicycle lanes than anything else.

Many museums are in walking distance of this hotel-wear very good shoes. Lots of places to eat with cinemas and theatres near by.

I would stay in this hotel if a went to Amsterdam again.

I have stayed in a lot worse for a good deal more of money!

Room Tip: Location location location-small rooms may put some off but not me, I would not like a room facing t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. You booked a single room, which means a single bed in the room. For more comfort it is possible to reserve a double room for single use. Your points raised about the room and housekeeping will be discussed internally. Thank you agian and please stay with us for your next visit to Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel from 1-6 December 2013.
Upon arrival some of the staff were a bit cold but a man did ask about flight, if we had been before etc before giving us our keys to our room.
We arrived at 1pm and on our request was an early check in (which I thought would be fine by now as our flight had landed at 10am)
He said no it was just a request but was happy to keep our luggage in a secure locked room until 3pm when we can check in.

Upon arrival he asked for a credit card or 50 euros for a deposit. I handed him 50 euros then he passed back a receipt in which I would get 36 euros back when I check out due to tax! (Never the less I did get this back as soon as I checked out!)

To get to your room there are lifts which can only be used by your room key which made us feel safe no one else can come up.

When arriving in our room 221 (2nd floor) it was spotless. Well cleaned and arranged. Small room but we don't holiday for the room, just somewhere to sleep!
The beds were SO spacious and the pillows very comfy! Had great nights sleep!
The bathroom was basic enough toilet, sink,shower
Free shower gel attached to wall which was lovely and scented.
There was a safe in the room which was for use free of charge no deposit needed!

When we went back down we were looking at a small printed map we had bought with us, when a member of staff came straight over with a map, he then circled where we were and all the areas of interest around which was a big help each day when I needed direction!

They were very welcoming every day we left and came back we were always greeted with a smile and hello which was lovely.

We often stayed out passed 12 so the hotel door was locked, but once you rang the doorbell they were happy to let you in!

Our 5 nights here were spent happy and we would definitely re book as everyone was helpful, was clean and a 2 minute walk over to leidseplein where a lot was going on and a tram every 5 minutes!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Daryl,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I will forward your kind words to our staff and let them know you enjoyed staying in our hotel and apprciated our hospitality.

Wit kind regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We booked the hotel as it looked quite nice on the pictures and because it was the most affordable option from all the others. To be honest we were a bit scared that upon arrival we would find out that the hotel didn't exist or that it was shabby. However we were pleasantly surprised. :) The location is excellent, within a 2 minutes stop from tram (liedsplein -- not sure how it's spelt), They found our reservation immediately and gave us the keys without delay. Our room was small as advised on their website but more than enough for 2 persons. The bed was comfy, the pillows were a bit too thin and the room not so warm but other than that it was great. The bed was made up, bins emptied everyday & towels replaced daily. The receptionists could have been a bit friendlier as some of them don't even acknowledge you but there was one man (who features in the website , maybe the owner?) who was very helpful. They also offer free coffee & water from the coffee machine downstairs.

I would definitely book again with this hotel as it is just what we needed; a clean safe place to sleep in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stef C

Dear Stef,

Thank you for taking to time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read about your pleasant stay.
Your comment about our staff will be discussed internally. I am sure it was without purpose, but I agree that acknowledging our guests is key in our job. Thank you again for your kind words and please visit us again when you revisit Amsterdam.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I’ve been with a friend in Hampshire Hotel Theatre district for our holidays during de last week in November and we would like to report our comments to let everyone know what’s going in this hotel.
When you are working hard during all year just wondering your holidays, you really want to make a good election of your place to stay when you are in holidays. Thas why we would like to invite you to read our comment to try do advise you about his Hotel.

We made our reservation for a Economic Twin bed in September 2013 to travel the last week in November. Our reservation was made by expedia (really good rates).
We had a nice non refundable offer for our travel.

The first problem was when we’ve contacted the hotel a week before our journey. We wanted to confirm our room (Economic Twin). When they answered to us, they have told us wrong details about my reservation saying to us that we have booked in October a Double bed economic room (When we booked it in september a twin). We have selected TWIN and we also let a note in september saying them that we are two boys when we made the reservation.
Them they said that no more twin beds are available for us.
After 3 e-mails just trying to get what I have booked, they apologized to me saying me that they will give me a twin room. (Read later more about)
The reservation department service in my opinion isn’t very professional. They don’t check the reservations and also they don’t check the preferences and observations to try to make your future stay confortable. So, don’t loose your time giving them many details about your preferences, they will not read it.
Also, I would like to say that the treatment by e-mail that I had by the reservation department wasn’t very correct, using imperative tone in their e-mails.

The hotel it’s easy to find. It’s well located (not at the centrum) but it’s very easy to arrive by tram from Centraal and also by bike. It’s just 10 minutes by bike from Dam and 20-25 by tram from Centraal.
There are many shops and eating options just crossing the bridge. There aren’t many options just next door from the hotel.
Nice and safe place to leave your bikes outside the hotel. Just in front of the hotel entrance.

Check in it’s a very slow process, quiet and not very warm.
They don’t ask you about your flight, if this its your first visit or anything. They just introduce the details into the system and that’s it.
Very cold check in. You have the feeling like being just a room number.
No smiles in their faces.
When they give you the explanation about where is your room, it’s like being in a plane. They give to you all the explanations in a mood like feels like boring to them. No interest. Monotony.

Our room was at the basement. There are two rooms there. D20-D21.
They feeling going downstairs it’s like going to the punishment room.
In this level you’ll find the engine for the lift and more rooms for the cleaners and maintenance, so it’s a very noisy level and ugly with estrange sounds at the middle of the night.

Our room was so so so so so so so small.
They said to us that they will give us a twin bed. They try to cheat us.
D20 it’s a single room!! They just put another extra bed in our room trying to make us know that it’s a twin bedroom. It was’t a twin bedroom!
All the room was setup as a single room. Even the plugs!
So please, don’t cheat to your guests, we are the most important value for your bussines.
If you try to make someone believe that a single room it’s now a double twin, at least prepare the room for two people and provide 2 services for everything (2 towels, 2 plastic glass, 2 extra duvets etc).
The room was very small. We couldn’t fully open our bags or put our clothes in the closet!
There isn’t view at all. Just an old and very depress patio with nothing special. Don’t believe the nice pictures at the web site.
No minibar or fridge.
Central heating it’s working well during day time, but at nigt time, during the late night, they switch it off. So imagine… In Amsterdam 0ºC and no central heating at night time! So sad. I couldn’t sleep well and warm any night. I have asked for a extra duvet (Because of course, it was a single so only one) and it never came.
Have a shower during a morning it’s just a nightmare!
The bathroom hasn’t got central heating and it’s so so so cold there!
It’s uncomfortable. Also it’s impossible to fix the hot water. There isn’t water pressure. To have a nice and warm shower when you wake up to start your exploring day in a new city it’s very important. When your are in this cold bathroom your really think that it’s not going to be a nice shower. Please! You should provide some heaters to your gests or some central heating to the bathrooms! Amsterdam it’s a very cold city to don’t have it!
The decoration at the room it’s old and basic. Nothing special.
You can see from your window the staff making they meetings!! Hehe!!

We had only bed so we had breakfast outside. There are many nice morning caffes around! Much cheaper that the hotel!

Guests services are poor and routinely. They cant solve easy questions like give some directions to by just an adaptor. Of course they have it at the hotel, but you have to buy it (7.50e) and if you ask where to buy it outside they just answer you “in a shop”.
One more time, there aren’t smiles in reception.
No guests services are any service at all.

A good thing in Hampshire Theatre it’s the coffee and tea machine. It’s always available and nice to have a nice and warm drink after a long day exploring the city.
Just one complaint. If the milk it’s finish, during the morning the girl from breakfast provide you more milk but she will just push you to put the new bottle into the machine. They don’t wait until you finish or they even never excuse their self to change it. They just move you. No excuses or apologizes or smiles.
It’s quite uncomfortable. Be aware of it.

I will not complaint about the stairs at the entrance because it’s easy to understand. It’s a traditional building in Amsterdam.

Cleaning service it’s really poor. They just make the beds and change the towels. They haven’t clean our desk in for nights! Rooms are not very clean. Its necessary to improve.
Toilet and sink was dirty the arrival day.
Also, the cleaning ladies are very noisy at morning. The make lot of noise with their trolleys. Please! There is people on holiday inside sleeper longer than 8am!! Please!!

During check in, they ask you for a credit card (it’s a normal process around the world) just to guarantee the extras. They say to you that it’s just a guarantee but… It’s not! They charged me 60e into my AMEX without any permission or any signature! And if you ask for any receipt for this transaction they won’t give it to you saying that they cant’ print the receipt because it doesn’t exist. So… Why it’s a charge of 60e into my AMEX?
I have travelled a lot and my credit card always was as a guarantee, in any hotel I had this problem like in Hampshire Theatre
They don’t inform you about this charge. Really bad information during check in.

Check out It’s like always sad and slow. They never asked you about how was the stay or if you have enjoyed it. Just pay. That’s it. It’s just a procedure for them.

There it’s a luggage room but it’s not totally safe. No one goes with you to check that you are taking your bag or they don’t give you any ticket with a reference number. They just open the door and that’s all. They don’t really take care about the bags in there.

In resume about my review… It’s just a place to sleep. Don’t expect lot about this hotel.

There are many hotels around this price better around that area with better services and facilities.

When you go away from home, it’s very important to feel you warm in a new place. It’s not all about if the room it’s nice or not, sometimes it’s all about dedication and professionalism.
There are more than 500 hotels in Amsterdam, but now I know one that I will never come back or recommend.

Thanks for reading. I hope to help lot of people with the hotel election!

Room Tip: Don't accept the rooms at the ground floor! They are so bad! no view at all and so so so small!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alex C

Dear Alex,

I am truly sad to read about your experience with our hotel. It seems that we have not been able to provide accommodation and service as we usually do. I apologise for this, but also regret that I was not informed about this during your stay. I am sure I could have made your stay more comfortable. Your comments about staff will be discussed internally. Although I can understand your feelings towards us, I feel that we are able to provide hospitality as one may expect from a hotel of our standard.