“Clean, convenient and affordable”

Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam
Ranked #190 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here in Sept 2013. The hotel is fantastically situated close to all the attractions we wanted to see. A variety of transport modes are nearby. There are a plethora of charming eating establishments in close proximity. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was tasty, plentiful and healthy. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Tim,

NIce to read about your positive experience with our hotel. Although you stayed with us a while ago your feed back is much still appreciated.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel for several days in a double room. The stay was extremely pleasant.

Pro's:
- Clean room with working heating
- Good view. Even though we didn't get the view on the canal, the view into the garden made the possibility to see backyards of typical amsterdam houses.
- Wifi was fast!
- Free unlimited coffee and tea
- Staff was polite and helpful

Con's:
- none

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for your review. It pleases me that you enjoyed staying with us.

kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was our last stop in a three week self guided tour of five countries. This is the only city which we didn't have a reservation. We walked down the street checking several hotel prices. We returned to this hotel in about an hour. We asked for a room in the front. We had a great room on the fourth floor overlooking the canal. The whole hotel is very clean. Our room was perfect. The staff was very helpful and extremely friendly. Easy access to every thing.

Room Tip: Don't show up looking like a bum.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay at our hotel. Nice to read that we contributed to "beautiful Memories" during your journey around Europe, and provided you with comfortable accommodation in our great city.

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for 4 nights on a recent get away to Amsterdam.

Prior to going I had asked the hotel on their Facebook page the best way to get their from central station and they were quick to reply with good directions.

The hotel is easy to find from the Leidseplein team stop and was very welcoming.

The room we had was a twin and it was more than adequate for what we wanted and for what we paid for. I've seen much worse and also much better but with better and extra facilities comes extra cost.

In the small dining area was free coffee and tea which was a nice bonus and just down the road is a supermarket (were we bought breakfast items from).

Why get an over priced extravagant room when all your doing is sleeping and showering in it.

Worth the stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJ P
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It pleases me to read that you enjoyed staying with us and appreciated our services.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The location was very good.all the attractions like Anne frank house,Van Gogh museums,etc,and the main shopping streets were all within walking distance.The trams costs 7euro for an hours useage if you fancy the experience, and it stops just by the Marriott.Redlight district and the de Bijenkorf mall is slightly further but is a pleasant walk across the canals,the flower stalls and historic buildings.
The Hampshire is modern and clean.Reception staff were polite and friendly. The room is clean albeit not very big...there was no where to put the suitcase.the towels were changed during our 3day stay and the beds made daily. The only complaint we had was the quality of the breakfast which consisted of the same plate of sliced cheese and same plates of ham and boiled eggs,toast and muesli.I didn't think the ham and cheese were fresh and had been there for some time...and we had it for the same 3 days!
Best thing was the free coffee machine which made lovely lattes.if you have to check out before 730am on a Saturday,you won't get any refreshment as the machine is not on till 730 as per "house rules"there is no tea making facilities in the rooms.
I would advice that you request for twin beds instead of a double as you may get a bigger room....and take your own pillows.never seen a lumpier pillow in my life!
But it's been a pleasant stay and the location was great for a weekend break...lots of shops,lots of restaurants.i

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to write your findings about our hotel and your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important for us, so we can learn from our guests' experiences and may even better ourselves, where it is needed. I would like to comment on our Continental Breakfast Buffet; please be assured that all items are fresh and prepared daily. The health and safety of our guests has our top priority and we therefore securely follow the regulations in place for the hospitality industry in the Netherlands. The other points raised will be discussed internally, so thank you again for sharing your experience.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

230 euro a night? A tiny room which you can barely move around in. The beds were bowed. The walls were paper thin. It was convenient location wise. 36 euro parking a day... Although it does allow you to park in their own garage. There was a local shop with average bits close by and a short walk to get a bong and a crepe, or smoke and a pancake.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Saffire,

I guess you stayed with us during the holiday season and were confronted with high rates in Amsterdam around New Year. We are a small three star city cntre hotel located in three former townhouses. Our standard rooms may seem small, but are within regulations for a hotel of our standard, For more comfort (and space) we recommend our Superior rooms. Thank you for your feed-back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Hi

I stayed here from 09/12/13 to 14/09/13

My room was small and so was the single bed. But it was clean and for me the bed was very comfortable. No problem sleeping, if however you are planning to bring someone back its going to be a tight squeeze. The view was of a courtyard but it was better than a room that faced the 'busy 'main road that run in front of the building. It was very difficult to hear any road noise in my room.

The breakfast room was nice and there was a small selection of foods on offer. I did not try eating out for breakfast because I was up early every day and so 9 euros for a simple breakfast was adequate. There was free tea and coffee in the breakfast room but not in the rooms, slightly annoying but no real hassle for me.

They cleaned the room every day except Friday for some reason but on Saturday it was cleaned and with the 'manager of cleaning' asking if everything was ok. So no real harm done for that minor slip.

My battery for my room safe failed on the second day and so they put my valuables in their safe for no charge and they had my safe battery fixed by the time I came back to the hotel. The guy on the desk did not want a tip for this when I offered it but I practically forced it on him.

My only real complaint would be of my room was I would have liked the lighting to be a bit more brighter. Also I could only find one plug socket in the room to charge my stuff up but that was no real problem. Bathroom was ok with a shower-I am never fond of them and the soap dispenser was always empty but I always bring my own stuff anyway.

Location was excellent only a five min walk from Leidseplein square where the airport bus dropped me off. Walk across the bridge and do a right its about a 10 min walk. Leidseplein square has may tram stops where I could get to Amsterdam central station. I never went out really late but it is a main road and 'should' be ok. I had more trouble crossing the bicycle lanes than anything else.

Many museums are in walking distance of this hotel-wear very good shoes. Lots of places to eat with cinemas and theatres near by.

I would stay in this hotel if a went to Amsterdam again.

I have stayed in a lot worse for a good deal more of money!

Room Tip: Location location location-small rooms may put some off but not me, I would not like a room facing t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. You booked a single room, which means a single bed in the room. For more comfort it is possible to reserve a double room for single use. Your points raised about the room and housekeeping will be discussed internally. Thank you agian and please stay with us for your next visit to Amsterdam.

Kind regards,