“Doll's house room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam
Ranked #185 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Doll's house room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

OMG I have never seen such a small hotel room, no room to move and hot and stuffy, just as we'll we only stayed 3 nights. If you're visiting Amsterdam book a 4star, this was meant to be 3star but I would rate it as 2.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here last month on business and was terribly, terribly disappointed. Much to my dismay, I did not choose to stay in this property, my company did. I checked in to the first room and found a BED BUG (yes, red little creature) crawling on the bed. I immediately went downstairs and told the front desk agent of the situation - showed her a picture and video of the bug and all. I was then moved into a different room, still terrified. A few days into my stay (I was set to stay 8 nights) I noticed red dots all over my skin; I went down to the front desk to check out early (I couldn't possibly stay in this infested establishment any longer) and the front desk agent - same one as the one who moved my room - who pretty much told me there was nothing she could do for me and had to charge me for the night because I was "within the cancellation period." She did not even help me find a laundromat to wash all of my clothing that came in contact with that hell-hole they call a "hotel." The only person that was even the least bit helpful was the Housekeeping Supervisor who at least sympathized with me. Cut to a month later, all the hotel did to redeem themselves was refund me the cancellation fee; that's it. Despite the fact that I paid for my laundry & had to buy an entirely new suitcase.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay here. It is NOT worth the aggravation.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank quething247
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Monica,

We have been in contact with regards to this issue on several occassions. As you are an employee of one off our biggest suppliers I will not react to your review publicly on Tripadvisor.
We have informed your company about your feed back.

With kindest regards,
Stefaan, Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Higher Bebington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My daughter and I spent 4 days in Amsterdam May. We stayed at the Hampshire. Initially we were in a room 021 but I felt this room to be noisy as it was on the lower ground floor and was quite dark in the daylight. I asked Edourd he night porter if we could get an upgrade and we were moved to the top floor the next dy. Edourd is a super member of the team and we had lots of interesting conversations There is free coffee facilities in the lobby but none in the room.

Room Tip: do not go for 021 as it is on lower ground level
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ann H
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I visited Amsterdam over Easter and booked this hotel as part of a British Airways holiday package. It was the closest decently priced 3 star hotel to central Amsterdam that we could find. When we booked, we found that it was only a tiny bit extra to upgrade from a standard double room to a superior double room, and I think that made a lot of difference. We were on the top floor and had a spacious room with a comfortable bed, writing desk and clean bathroom. There was free tea and coffee making facilities in the dining room area and the staff were friendly. The location, while a bit of a walk from central Amsterdam, is extremely close to several other attractions such as the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, the Royal Concertgebau and the city park. All in all we were very impressed. It may be worth noting that, on check out, you need to pay the Amsterdam city tax and this is quite substantial. For two people, three nights over Easter it ended up being about €40 or so.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. It was our pleasure to be of service.
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a cheerful and inexpensive little hotel which provided a free coffee machine in the ground floor, producing such excellent coffee that guests commonly mingled there before going out. As we arrived late our room had been rented out, but we were given a free transfer by taxi to a better hotel for that first night and the rest of the time was calm and without incident. Location is quiet enough for somewhere so near to tram lines and major attractions. Our room was really pretty small, but not really any worse for that.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ross M
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Ross,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It pleases me to read you liked staying with us and enjoyed our hospitality. For more convenience and space I can recommend our Superior Rooms. These rooms are equally furnished and have identical facilities but are bigger in size.
In case you revisit Amsterdam, you are More Than Welcome to try out this room type.

With kind regards,
Cheshire, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

First impression from outside was 'scruffy & dingy' - dirty, steep black steps leading to Reception.
Reception area very small & minute lift for 2 slim persons 'who know one another'! Stairs were spiral and very steep - would not be good in an emergency/fire situation. Our room was on the second floor at the front of the hotel and was stiflingly hot, necessitating the window to be fully opened and, thereby, allowing us to be 'seranaded'!!! by the unceasing traffic noise and engine revving of loutish yobs. The room was tiny & sparsely furnished - the bed being about 18" from the floor, with little space around it. We had virtually no sleep during our 3 night stay. The bathroom was tiny & the towel rail was over the toilet......
The breakfast area was adequate & there was a reasonable choice of cereals, cheese & ham etc.
We found the staff to be very pleasant & helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read your review regarding you recent stay with us. All in all it is clear to me that you expected to have booked a different kind of hotel. We are a typical Amsterdam hotel situated in three former historic townhouses. Located in the very heart of Amsterdam (LeidsePlein area). For more comfort and space, we offer our Superior Rooms available at a supplement.

Although I appreciate your concern I would like to emphasize that our hotel operates within the health & safety regulations, checked and approved regularly by the responsible authorities.

With kindest regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I only paid £45 per night for a twin room for 3 nights (no breakfast) through lastminute.com (on a "secret" basis - they didn't tell me which establishment I'd be staying in until I'd paid). So there is part of me that wants to be generous about this hotel, on the basis that you get what you pay for; at the end of the day I paid very little for a city centre hotel room. But I am aware that a lot of people have paid a lot more than that for their room, whilst some of the things that this hotel gets wrong would not cost them any money to put right. So my review is going to be fairly negative.

Yes, the location is good. Not only is it an enjoyable stroll for the energetic from the city centre, but it is right next to the bus, tram and canal boat transport hub of Leidseplein. Take the 197 bus directly to and from the airport; it takes 35 minutes and costs €5. The No. 1,2 and 5 trams go directly to the centre of town and in the other direction the No 5 tram goes to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum. The tram drivers seem to let you on for free if you're only going a few stops, although I'm not sure how legal this is, given that officialdom seems otherwise hell-bent on screwing every last dime out of every man, woman and child who visits the city. The canal boat trips leave from Leidseplein too but I'd only recommend them as a tourist attraction in themselves rather than as a means of transport, given that the buses and trams are so much faster, cheaper and more frequent and continue into the evening.

The rooms are reasonably clean and the chambermaids do a good job replenishing towels etc. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I was not disturbed by them on the mornings I lay in.

The other positive is the free tea and coffee in the lobby. Unlike in the UK, I've very rarely come across tea and coffee facilities in a continental European hotel room, and accordingly there are none in the bedrooms here, so the lobby facilities are definitely a bonus.

BUT the rooms are tiny. I mean, REALLY tiny. We were in Room 305. And the furniture is such a poor use of space. There is a huge desk-like thing fixed to the wall that juts out about four feet into a room that is barely more than ten feet long in total - who wants a DESK in a touristy hotel anyway? The similarly fixed-to-the-wall bedside tables mean that you can't separate the twin beds into, ahem, twin beds. Seriously, the twin beds are designed to be pushed up against each other so they resemble a double. So they would disappoint a couple who want a double bed and also disappoint a non-couple who want a twin room. Lose-lose situation. Well done, Hampshire Hotels!

In fact I specifically emailed the management prior to my arrival to ask for a twin room, telling them that I was a guy travelling with my 12-year-old daughter. Did they respond to my email? No, they just ignored it and gave me what was effectively a double bed.

So we managed to separate the beds somehow by squeezing a mattress slightly underneath the bedside table. It then became apparent just how narrow the single beds were. I haven't seen such narrow beds since I went on a canal boat trip years ago. Barely wider than 2 foot! And the pillows - square! It's like fitting octagonal wheels to your car - ignore what's been working for centuries and try something stupid!

The rooms get very hot at night even during a wet and slightly chilly May, so I can only imagine how hot they can get in August. There's no aircon, and the traffic noise on the street is far too loud to consider opening the window. The desk fan they provide instead didn't work properly, the blades clattering against the mesh frame, making an unholy noise that woke my daughter up.

But probably the worst thing about this hotel is the attitude of the staff. They appear to have an almost Fawltyesque contempt for their guests - there is no warmth whatsoever from them, from check in to check out. Like all Dutchmen (yes, all the reception staff were male), they spoke perfect English when they needed to, but most of the time you got barely more than a grunt out of them, with no "please"s or "alstublieft"s.

Their attitude was probably best exemplified on our last night, when the fire alarm went off at 01.30 am. Every guest stumbled out of bed and down the difficult-to-negotiate, churchtower-like spiral staircase, congregating either outside in the rain or, like me, in the lobby. When the alarm ended, the guy on reception simply announced, (and I quote verbatim) "I'm sorry, it is a false alarm, you can all go back to your rooms now." That was it! He then went back to fiddling with some papers behind the reception desk.

Now, if I ran a hotel and this had happened, I would be falling over myself with embarrassment and multiple apologies. Premier Inn, the budget UK hotel chain, would refund everybody for their night's stay under their uninterrupted night's sleep guarantee policy. But no, not Hampshire Hotels Theatre District. A quick "I'm sorry" and an instruction to the pesky guests to stop clogging up his precious lobby. He didn't even go outside to let the guests standing out in the rain know that they could come back in.

I came to check out six hours later and his colleague didn't ask how my stay had been, didn't apologise about the alarm, and, after asking deadpan for my room number, just presented me with a bill for city tax of €2.25 per night. A quick "thank you" when I handed him the cash, and that was it.

• Stayed May 2014