“Mixed review from our two trips to Puri Indonesia”
Review of Puri Indonesia - CLOSED

Puri Indonesia
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We found this restaurant as soon as we stopped off the #16 Tram in Amsterdam. It was in the de Pijps area not far from our apartment, and we put it on the visit list for as soon as we got settled.

As our first foray into Indonesian food, we decided to both order the whole nine yards with the Rijsttafel Daging. This provided us with a portion each of chicken soup, two types of rice (white and yellow), ten mini portions of various beef and chicken entrees off of their menu (two of these mini portions would have made a nice meal!), and also dessert. At 24.50 euros each the meal was pricy, but we also enjoyed a serious amount of food and a wide variety of entrees during the meal as well. Service was really good throughout this meal.

The second time we stopped at Puri Indonesia, our experience was not the same. We each decided on a single entree after asking the waiter many questions. The order was taken swiftly, but the food took a long time to appear. We were also very surprised when the menu item she said was spicy was the least spicy of the two we ordered. Oh well. The food was quite good once we received it.

One final note: Just like in the States, a big part of your bill can be made from what you order to drink. Each time I ordered tap water (free) and they would only bring a six ounce glass and fill it once. Past two glasses, they came back instead with still water (which is from a bottle but poured into a glass), and that cost per bottle. I would encourage you to keep those water bottles with you and filled up at all times. Since many of the items here at Puri are spicy, that water bottle will be worth its weight in gold if you have it with you and at the ready!

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

The meal was superb, not overly spiced when not necessary, spiced to perfection when required. The service was friendly, but the food was a long time coming. Would highly recommend if you r not in a rush.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We had the rice table which was plenty of food, tasty, not too spicy and the service was fantastic. Along with imported Bintang - a great meal.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We arrived by accident on our walkabout looking for dinner. The food served to the folks sitting at the window table looked very tasty, so we stepped inside. It was quiet enough for conversation and pleasantly appointed. Ordered Rice Tafel that included lamb, beef, tempe, & chicken dishes. We enjoyed it all. The meats were decent quality, soup was tasty. Service was very slow and that is the reason for the downgrade.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Having traveled to Amsterdam to sample some different cuisines and culture, I have to say I found this establishment below par, I'm afraid. It has nothing to do with the staff, who were friendly and spoke good English, although we tried speaking some Dutch and most people in Amsterdam seem to speak English any how.

The service was quite speedy and having ordered a Rice Table- a plethora of different dishes- it arrived piping hot without delay. Our Chinese tea was quite flavorsome and the soup starter had an interesting mix of spice and tastes, but the main courses really suffered due to the very poor quality, gristly and fatty meat used, which really put me off. If my local Indian takeaway can manage to source decent lamb, chicken and beef, then I'm sure Puri can too.

The Lychee and Ice cream dessert was pleasant enough, but one dollop of squirty cream, a tinned lychee and a scoop of vanilla seemed a little bit lazy, in my humble opinion.

Given that this is seemingly a small establishment I was expecting good quality food, rather than mass produced rubbish -especially at 28.50e per person, which isn't particularly cheap for a meal of this type.

Overall we both felt let down by the quality and the price and I think I'm a fair reviewer in saying this- so alas we wouldn't venture back.

1  Thank AndyYorks77