“This hotel really shocked us”

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station
Ranked #64 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We travelled 3 weeks in Europe and have lived in many hotels. This hotel is the only hotel purchased in advance non-refundable hotel and only one that had big problems. when we got there around 6pm, a frontdesk lady checked our reservaion and asked us if we had car, when I told her yes, she told me there was a problem with their PCs, so there was no rooms for us. What they could do was to get us rooms in their hotel at airport. She said we had to take trains for city center anyways, just few stations more didn't hurt us. She told us so calmly and coldly, and I felt she just wanted to get rid of me from the frontdesk. Since no more rooms I had to accept this. Then 5 of us, including 2 kids checked in at the airport hotel. Then we asked the staff how to get to city center, they showed us a small map. We had to walk for 15mins to a train station, took train from there. Ticket costed 7 or 9Euro(can't remember exactly) a person. Then we thought this was too difficult and we wanted to move back for the second night, so we called the staff at Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station hotel. A gentleman answered my call. He still insisted the two hotels have no difference rather than few more stations further, he even said the ticket cost the same. This is not true! the Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station hotel is right on top of the train station while the airport hotel had to walk 15mins to train station. One ticket cost at least 7Euro, while the Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station hotel to main station is only 2Euro, 4mins! I really don't know the hotel staff is not familiar with these, or they just tried to fool their guests! I got angry with him and told him we were moving back, no matter what excuses, even on a first come first server basis, we could check in after 24h we have arrived, not to mention pre-purchased non refundable reservation, so he agreed. The next morning, we got there early. A very warm lady received us and finished the checkin for us although the rooms were not ready, but guaranteed for us. She told me both rooms were on 7th floor, and showed me room nmbers. When we got back in the evenng to get keys, another guy told me one room on 7th F, the ohter one on 6th F. I said this is not right, why you changed our room again. He said he didn't change anything. I told him this was not the case in the morning. He showed me the reservation done in the morning, I saw a room number for 7th F, but the number I remembered was not there, so I told him the other room shoud be 7XX, pls. check. The guy didn't want to check, then another staff came, and asked what was going on, then he found out that the room on 6th F was not under my name! I really don't know what to say about them and couldn't help wondering whether there was PC problem or human problem in this hotel.

Room Tip: good rooms and location, hope you have better luck than us.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Xixi066
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Xixi066,

I regret to read that your experience did not match your expectations at all. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen technical problem, we had to book you a room with our colleagues near the airport. This hotel is indeed a bit further from the city centre and train tickets are not priced the same as was suggested by my colleagues. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience all of this has caused. Please rest assure this will be addressed to the team. On the other hand I am confident that the experience you had is not exemplary for the service we pride ourselves in delivering. I would be grateful if you would stay with us again during your next trip to Europe to show you our true spirit of hospitality.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel in early October and it was excellent. I chose it because of the location (next to a main train station and just above a bus station - less than 10 minutes away from the city centre) and the price was very competitive. Although we only had the option of booking a double room, when checking in I asked if they could give us a twin instead and it was no problem.

Breakfast was included and it was far beyond the regular continental breakfast you normally get at these places. There were bread rolls, croissants, toast, cereal, butter, jams, yoghurt, cheeses, egg, meats, juice, tea and coffee.

The room itself was very clean and well decorated, and while not very spacious, it was more than comfortable. The mattress and pillow were very firm (which I love) and as for the duvet... I was seriously considering taking it with me as it was so warm and soft. A very good night's sleep indeed. The bathroom had a hair dryer (not the best, but it worked) and thankfully soap/shampoo as I had forgotten mine.

All the staff were courteous and friendly and they were happy to store our luggage for us until we were ready to leave that night. A very good stay at this hotel and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear smashmash,

Thank you for the positive review on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our free continental breakfast. We put a lot of work in keeping our hotel as clean as possible and strive to provide all our guest with the most hospitable service we can. It is nice to see that this is much appreciated and shared by our guests.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Train station couldn't be no closer and yet the room quiet. Easy access to central station and the city. Will hopefully be coming back for a short stay Xmas time. The staff were friendly and helpful and even got a free tester shot of something I can't remember.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Jammy69,

Thank you for our kind words and thank you for sharing this through Tripadvisor.
Please let us know if there is anything we can do assisting you in planning your Christmas trip to Amsterdam.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you're looking for an affordable overnight stop with parking space (Park & Ride) and/or good public transport access into the city centre (and airport), then this is a property to consider. Reasonable fares, modern, spacious & clean room (better than I expected for an Express). Free Wi-Fi access in the room was not so reliable (I was at the end of the hall) but worked fine in the lobby. I could hear my neighbours bathroom very well so, at least for the room I stayed in, acoustic isolation is up for improvement (reported this on hotel's review system).

Friendly staff at reception and especially at the lobby bar. Efficient & fast check-in and check-out, as it should be.

All in all would stay again for an overnight stop.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear bvdo,

Thank you for your time in sharing your experiences through our HeartBeat questionnaire as well as through Tripadvisor. Feedback is a valuable thing and it enables us to improve our services. I am happy to inform you that we recently have signed an agreement to upgrade our internet to a glass fibre connection early 2014. This should enable us to provide a strong signal throughout the entire hotel.
Please rest assure that your feedback regarding my colleagues will be shared.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Friendly staff, easy parking €15 per day, rooms clean, tidy and had high quality fixtures.

Good location, the hotel was right next to the train station which has trains running to Amsterdam Central constantly, as the train is only a 5 minute journey we road the train for free every day/night.

Breakfast was your standard continental breakfast with no cooked food. Saying that it was all fresh and high quality. Would defiantly stop at this hotel again as it was good value for money compared to the hotels in the centre which were triple the price for a similar standard of hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear chrisrey,

Thank you for your kind words. It is very nice to read you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the location of the hotel. For any future visits to Amsterdam it might be good to know that the trains in The Netherlands do not run for free. In the central hall of the station it is possible to buy the tickets from the yellow vending machines.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have just returned after spending 5 nights at this hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The hotel is ideally situated about 5 minutes from Amsterdam Central Station. The trains run frequently. Our room faced onto the station but you were not disturbed by the trains at any time. I would certainly use this hotel again if I return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bill322,

Thank you for your kind words and for the time you have taken to share your experiences with us through Tripadvisor. We would be very happy to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was organising 1 day business conference close to Utrecht with people flying over a night before. The hotel seems like perfect location for business travelers. Less than 10 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes to Amsterdam central station.
And in the morning you just drive to the highway and of you go - no traffic jams.

The hotel is brand new. Much better than regular HI Express. Room is cosy, bathroom nice. If you come with a car, you get free parking in a garage.

All guests have free WIFI.

Lobby bar was just good enough to have couple of drinks before heading for downtown.

Breakfast was also good - much better than what you would expect from Express version of HI.

Stuff friendly and helpful.

Definitely a hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear George1133,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your time to write this review. It is always nice to read that our guests had a nice time and that they enjoyed our free WiFi as well as our free Continental Breakfast.

We would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future.