Flying Pig Uptown
US$348
US$314
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Sir Albert Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$256
US$194
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$237
Agoda.com
US$525
US$447
  • Pool
All reviewssmoking roomfree breakfastbed dormbathrooms and showersfantastic hostelbar downstairsperson roomamsterdam signamsterdam experiencevan gogh museumflights of stairsno elevatorfirst floortop flooryour luggagebeds were comfortableenjoyed my stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Awesome hostel! Good breakfast! Cereal toast and jam, juice A.J. and O.j. instant sanka. But it's a hostel! Thanks for breakfast!!! Bar was great! Jack lives there! Cool staff and friendly atmosphere!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Flying_Pig_UT, Manager at Flying Pig Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Hi

Thanks for your great reviews, we hope to see you back in Amsterdam in the future.

Happy Travels
Flying Pigs

Reviewed 8 March 2011

This hostel was beyond belief! . Me and my freinds i travlled with arent really ones to moan and i would settle with almost anything to have a cheap holiday but this was poor! you have cleaners and people changing sheets every five minutes when your trying to sleep. I had my phone stolen so did my mate, couldnt even fit in the toilet it was so small the smoking room is more like a skag den that hasnt been cleaned in months, i ended up checking out early and stayed at the tourist inn witch for a one star hotel and 10 pound more expensive per night was a palace compared to this hell hole!! ive never wrote a review never moaned about a hotel hostel and ive been to a few badish ones but this is just not even sleepable i cant belive people are giving this a good review AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank CALDERZ8

Hi

Thank you for you feedback and we are very sorry you did not like your stay with us at the Flying Pig, it is important to remember we are a hostel and not a hotel and therefore you will get lots more beds being changed and also at odd time especially if guests take the wrong beds or mistakes are made. It is always sad when one guest takes another property and rarely happens but we do provide security lockers for valuables and it is always advisable to use them when sharing a room with many others. I hope you notified the staff about the theft and if you would like to give us any more feedback please do so.

Safe Travels
Flying Pigs

Reviewed 13 January 2011

i stayed here for only four days and loved every minute. the hostel is great it has an atmosphere hard to part with and all the staff are really laid back and friendly. its within walking distance of everything thats if you want to leave. there was definately some trippers running around but great for entertainment if your doing the same thing. would reccomend this hostel to most people my age ill definately be back there soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Good value, convenient and good atmosphere. Unfortunately had a bad night sleep because of a very loud snorer in the room but aside from this really liked the hostel. Friendly staff, generally clean and tidy.
You do get what you pay for, if you are expecting high standards then its not for you, but if you are happy with a typical hostel this is a good one.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2010

My friend and I stayed at the flying pig uptown in September 2010 - we had booked a queen bed in a 6 person room with a private bathroom inside the room. When we got there the guy working (who was very nice) told us to accommodate some other gusts who were there before us they changed us to a 14 person room with no bathroom (we had to use the one on the floor). We had booked the room months in advanced as we didn't want to avoid both of these things. He told us we would get some money back which was almost nothing as they charged us the current price of the room not the price it was at the time we had booked our original room. So we dragged our bags up the very narrow stairs and found we were in a room with all males (we are two females). All the guys were really nice but the room stunk like drunk smelly boys. The lockers are deep but not very wide so my backpack did not fit and I had to leave it sitting on top of the lockers (luckily I had a small lock for the zipper). We went down to the bar which at the time we thought was a great idea...got a few beers for a very good price and went to the smoking room. The idea of the smoking room is great BUT it was soooo messy that there was nowhere to put your glass down as the table was completely covered in empty glasses and filled ash trays. The girl working in the bar (not bartending) was super nice and super cute but she was just sitting in the smoking room chatting not cleaning up the mess. The ashtrays looked as though they had not been cleaned since the night before and the floor was sticky in places. The pillows on the bench seating were thin, flat, stained and had burn holes in them. After a few beers and some smoke we left to hit up some coffee shops with some other people staying at the hostel. When we came back at about 1130 we went back to the bar had a beer and decide to head to the room around 1230 as we were beat from the flight and just wanted to watch a movie on my ipod. When we went to our room the lights were out and there were so many people already in bed. We didn't want to be rude and turn on the lights and it would have woken everyone else up (a lamp or 2 would have solved this problem)...so we climbed into bed with our clothes on and went to bed (my ipod was in my suite case which I couldn't see as it was so dark). As much as we had loved the idea of the bar when we arrived we ended up hating it because all we could hear was techno music till about 4:00am not to mention all the really drunk people wandering around the halls. In the morning at about 7am we woke up and went to go for a shower...which was a tiny little room with a shower and a change area separated by a current with a clogged drain and a grime and scum filled floor. At that point we decided to skip the shower, brushed our teeth...left our bags and took the tram to the train station to visit the tourist info booth and they helped us find a hotel on the other side of the park...my friend said that there was no way she could stay there another night and pulled out her VISA to cover the 129.00 euros a night the hotel cost (ended up staying there for 2 nights). We came back checked out and took off to the hotel - which btw was amazing.

I will say that if I was still 22 or younger (I am 27) I probably wouldn't have minded AS MUCH...I still would have wanted a clean shower but I could have put up with some of the other things. I found the crowed to be a little young with the exception of 2 really cool and super friendly guys we met there, who showed us around and brought us to a really cool locals coffee shop. I also found there were a lot of really rude "hostel hos's" (meaning girls that never leave the hostel and just screw the guys that come through there – they are pretty territorial so watch out) and guys who were there solely to pick them up. The staff was nice but a little lazy and almost too laid back.

If you are looking to party till all hours of the morning, don't care about showering or having any form of privacy then stay here - I am sure you will have a blast and I actually mean that, there was a pub crawl and lots of partying. But if you are looking to party and get up see sites and experience everything Amsterdam has to offer...stay somewhere else.

The area was perfect, close to everything - I would 100% stay in this area again but not at this hostel.

Also while on our overnight train to Germany we met a guy who had been traveling for 3 years who said that the Flying Pig Downtown is much much better...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends