“Good enough!”
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

Flying Pig Uptown
Reviewed 25 February 2008

If your looking for a lads weekend in Amsterdam then this place is ideal. Cheap, no hastle of staff, laid back etc etc. Its within walking distance to all bars/clubs/shops... heinekien muesuem worth a look gd day out! Have a good time :)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 December 2007

I was extremely surprised on how cool this place was bathrooms were descent, hence a lot better than a gas station. I am very anal about public areas and cleanliness and this place was not too bad.

We shared a double bed in a room with another 10 people and I personally thought it was ok.

The cafe in the basement was awesome, they sold some food and drinks. I do not remeber if they sold any "smoking accessories" but I was pretty "tired" the entire time we were there. LOL!!

My friend on the other hand was not so happy and ONLY due to the fact that people kept coming in and out of the room.

NOTE!!! Take a good pair of ear plugs and a good pad lock, to lock your valuables.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wizeazzgurl
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Six of us stayed here for three nights in july 07 in a mixed dorm of about 30. First impressions were bad as security seemed abit lax and there seemed to be a few oddballs wandering around(think they were just stoned though and were probably rather nice people). Anyway, we had no problems, just remeber to take a good padlock for your locker. Clean enough, always hot water when i wanted it, good breakfast and free internet. What more do you want from a hostel?

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2007

Stayed here June 2007. This place is ok if you're a bit crusty but it's not really my scene. Would definitely recommend booking out your own room as that's what we did, which meant we were only sharing with each other and could leave valuables etc in our room without worrying or having to share with creepy randoms.

The room itself was clean enough, and the sheets were clean. One of the toilets was ok, the other was a bit dodgy. I really didn't like the showers though, they were weak and not very clean at all.

On the plus side though the location is really good, the bar area is cool and free internet is handy. Must say though I wouldn't stay here again as I know I could easliy pay not much more money and stay in a two or three star hotel. We came to amsterdam to have a smoke and are chilled as much as anyone else, but i would have rather stayed somewhere with slighly less... 'character'.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank andy2581
Reviewed 25 March 2007

Very bad experience there!
It was so dirty!!!! Indeed we had a mouse in the room!! I´ve never been in such a dirty place!
I´ll never be back there!

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled with friends
1  Thank beawallabee
Reviewed 27 February 2007

The flying pig palace (also known as the Flying Pig uptown) was without doubt the best hostel I've ever stayed in. I've just come back from a mini tour of Germany, Holland and Luembourg staying in hostels and this was easily the best one I've come across. It was close to the centre and right next the famous Vondel Park. The rooms were clean, adequately sized and we didn't have to make our own beds as I usually have to in hostels! The bathrooms (which is normally the worst part) were really clean too with proper working showers which don't completely soak the floor so you can get changed afterwards- which I find everywhere else! The free included breakfast was great, with a toaster to make your own toast, bolied eggs, cereal and hot drinks. The bar downstairs was amazing with cheap drinks, great music and special deals and entertainment nights. The internet was free with skype phones so you could call home too and there was loads of information about what's going on in Amsterdam. The staff were helpful and friendly also. All in all an amazing hostel, it was all these little points that made it such a great stay, as they're not usually things you'll find in hostels!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2006

The flying pig was tight. They put me in a room with two bunkbeds, so four people. I was by myself, however all the people that stayed there were cool. The bar in the basement is radical, you can stay down there till the early morning. The kitchen was very suspect, i didnt eat in there. The water closet-bathroom was really small, not ideal for a large person. The location is nice because its close enough to everything, but gives you some distance from the wild side.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled solo