“Fantastic Hostel!”

Flying Pig Uptown
vannarii
“Fantastic Hostel!”
Reviewed 28 February 2008

This hostel was great! Everything was very clean, and although the bathrooms were small, they had these nice disinfecting spray stuff for the seats. The beds were small but clean, when it's cold I would recommend bringing another blanket because I was cold. The showers are clean, but there are only a few of them so get up early! The water was also surprisingly hot.

We stayed in a 13 person dorm room and had no problems with anyone. I brought earplugs, which I highly recommend. We brought locks with us, but they were too small to fit on the hasps. I went downstairs and they sold me two very nice locks for a very reasonable price. The sinks have both hot and cold water in the rooms, and the carpeting etc. is all clean and in good condition.

The staff at the Flying Pig is outstanding. We had a few problems with check in because they just started using a new system, but the woman at check in (which was at the bar) made sure that we were comfortable and brought us a round of drinks on the house while we waited. This was indicative of the whole staff. Any problems were dealt with promptly and courteously.

The bar and kitchen are very nice! The bar has the most reasonable prices on beer etc. that I saw, and everyone seemed really nice in the bar. The only problem was that it was so nice we rarely wanted to leave it, but we wanted to see the city! They have just about everything you might need for your stay behind the bar, and it's reasonably priced. The kitchen has many many utensils, etc. and is a good way to save money on food. Another way to save money on food is by taking advantage of the free continental breakfast. While we were there they had 2 types of cereal, milk, orange drink, water, bread for toast, croissants, hard boiled eggs, and a selection of jams, peanut butter etc. We ate the breakfast every day we were there, and while it may have been plain, it was free and filling.

A few things I read about in reviews and wanted to address.
First, the mice. A new freeway is being built and there are mice everywhere in Amsterdam, but the Flying Pig is doing everything they can to get rid of them, and we didn't see any, although we found evidence of them in the garbage can. All of the homes, hotels, and hostels have problems with mice right now.
Second, after three if you are checking in you have to go down to the bar and check in there. After three, you have to get to your rooms through the bar, which means you have to go down one staircase and up however many flights your room is from the basement. While this may seem puzzling at first, it becomes obvious this is for security purposes. It means that whoever is coming in is observed by the staff to make sure there are no problems. There are some people who get a little kooky when the visit Amsterdam, and this is a way to keep an eye on everyone.

We stayed here for my friends' birthday, and they took great care of her and us! I don't have much money to travel with, and the Flying Pig was reasonable and fun. Until I can afford a posh hotel, this is the only place in Amsterdam I'd stay.

• Liked — The great atmosphere
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fishguard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2008

If your looking for a lads weekend in Amsterdam then this place is ideal. Cheap, no hastle of staff, laid back etc etc. Its within walking distance to all bars/clubs/shops... heinekien muesuem worth a look gd day out! Have a good time :)

• Liked — Laid Back Staff
  • Disliked — Walking up stairs, stairs and more stairs
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 December 2007

I was extremely surprised on how cool this place was bathrooms were descent, hence a lot better than a gas station. I am very anal about public areas and cleanliness and this place was not too bad.

We shared a double bed in a room with another 10 people and I personally thought it was ok.

The cafe in the basement was awesome, they sold some food and drinks. I do not remeber if they sold any "smoking accessories" but I was pretty "tired" the entire time we were there. LOL!!

My friend on the other hand was not so happy and ONLY due to the fact that people kept coming in and out of the room.

NOTE!!! Take a good pair of ear plugs and a good pad lock, to lock your valuables.

• Liked — Cheap and Descent
  • Disliked — I did not have my own bathroom
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wizeazzgurl
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Six of us stayed here for three nights in july 07 in a mixed dorm of about 30. First impressions were bad as security seemed abit lax and there seemed to be a few oddballs wandering around(think they were just stoned though and were probably rather nice people). Anyway, we had no problems, just remeber to take a good padlock for your locker. Clean enough, always hot water when i wanted it, good breakfast and free internet. What more do you want from a hostel?

• Disliked — poor lockers for bags
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 15 June 2007

Stayed here June 2007. This place is ok if you're a bit crusty but it's not really my scene. Would definitely recommend booking out your own room as that's what we did, which meant we were only sharing with each other and could leave valuables etc in our room without worrying or having to share with creepy randoms.

The room itself was clean enough, and the sheets were clean. One of the toilets was ok, the other was a bit dodgy. I really didn't like the showers though, they were weak and not very clean at all.

On the plus side though the location is really good, the bar area is cool and free internet is handy. Must say though I wouldn't stay here again as I know I could easliy pay not much more money and stay in a two or three star hotel. We came to amsterdam to have a smoke and are chilled as much as anyone else, but i would have rather stayed somewhere with slighly less... 'character'.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank andy2581
madrid
Reviewed 25 March 2007

Very bad experience there!
It was so dirty!!!! Indeed we had a mouse in the room!! I´ve never been in such a dirty place!
I´ll never be back there!

• Liked — Situation
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed July 2005, travelled with friends
cardiff
Reviewed 27 February 2007

The flying pig palace (also known as the Flying Pig uptown) was without doubt the best hostel I've ever stayed in. I've just come back from a mini tour of Germany, Holland and Luembourg staying in hostels and this was easily the best one I've come across. It was close to the centre and right next the famous Vondel Park. The rooms were clean, adequately sized and we didn't have to make our own beds as I usually have to in hostels! The bathrooms (which is normally the worst part) were really clean too with proper working showers which don't completely soak the floor so you can get changed afterwards- which I find everywhere else! The free included breakfast was great, with a toaster to make your own toast, bolied eggs, cereal and hot drinks. The bar downstairs was amazing with cheap drinks, great music and special deals and entertainment nights. The internet was free with skype phones so you could call home too and there was loads of information about what's going on in Amsterdam. The staff were helpful and friendly also. All in all an amazing hostel, it was all these little points that made it such a great stay, as they're not usually things you'll find in hostels!

• Liked — The great breakfast, nice bar and free internet
  • Disliked — having to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to my room!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends