“Best if alone or just a couple people”
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

Flying Pig Uptown
“Best if alone or just a couple people”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I visited her with my mother while in Amsterdam and the environment was a little too much for her. I enjoyed it here and it is a great place if you want to mingle and meet new people while staying. We were here to sleep and move on so this wasn't the best choice. However, if I was going back to Amsterdam I would visit this hostel again. I booked from hostelworld.com. Flying Pig Downtown is in a better location being more in the center of the city.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This hostel is the place to go in Amsterdam if you want to meet young people looking to party. Friendly people are always at the bar in the common area around 5 pm and there's a pub crawl that starts at 8 every night. The rooms were decent, nothing fancy nor disappointing. Staff was friendly and helpful. Only complaint is that we had trouble getting hot water in the showers. The smoking room is also a nice touch. I would definitely recommend it to anyone sociable and not too picky for everything room related. P. S. be aware that this hostel is one of the most popular in Amsterdam so book your stay as early as possible!

• Stayed May 2013
World Nomad
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This honestly is one of my favorite Hostel's I've stayed in, and I've been in a lot. The hostels staff were excellent, particularly throwing props to Astrid, she was really awesome and super friendly. The rooms were clean, the beds were clean, the bar was clean, the showers were great and hot, the toilets were clean the breakfast was pretty great too. Cannot recommend this place enough. The location might bother some, but I really enjoyed the walk to and from town, plus if you hire a bike (which you should) it's barely a 10 min ride. The Vondelpark right next door was an awesome place to chill out if the hostels a little busy which it was when i was there over Queens Day, I was impressed at how efficient the staff were at handling the place during that busy time. Thanks again guys, I will be back as soon as I can believe me :)

Room Tip: Chat to the staff on desk, always happy to help with anything they can :)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BuckmeisterJ
canada
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I had heard good things about this hostel so I decided to stay here for a couple nights. Accommodations in Amsterdam can be pricey so this is a good budget option for backpackers. I stayed in a 12 bed dorm, each bed has it's own lock box to store your backpack. I noticed that there was always someone sleeping no matter the time of day so you pretty much have to keep quiet at all times while in the dorm.

The location is great as it's right beside Vondelpark and is a close walk to restaurants, attractions and shopping. This a busy hostel so it's a great place to meet fellow travelers, especially in the social room over a few pints.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Belfast
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Was feeling a little bit dubious about staying in a hostel for the first time but I was travelling as part of a hen party and we wanted to all share the same room so booked a 10 bed dorm. Beds were clean and comfy, room was fine for basically just washing and sleeping in. I felt it was very safe and secure. The bar seemed lively in the evenings but we didn't stay as we wanted to head into the city. Very handy to the bars etc in the livelier area of Amsterdam.

We had our own bathroom but there were also extra showers and toilets on each floor and these were clean also.

I went with an open mind and was expecting a very low standard but this was not the case - by no means is it a 5 star hotel but your paying for a hostel and in my mind is well priced for what it is.

I didn't realize that breakfast was also included. The staff set out bread, eggs, fruit and cereal for making toast etc and this was all very laid back and you just helped yourself.

Overall I enjoyed my stay : )

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I really enjoyed my time here, the rooms are big, showers are good, beds comfortable, bar is cheap and the location is great. The staff are really friendly (be nice to them and they may help you carry your bags up all the stairs!) This is a great place to stay, 100% recommend, don't be put off by any negative reviews, I've stayed in a lot of hostels in my time and this is one of the best.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Fun atmosphere, clean, plenty of showers and toilets, tours of the city, a bar and smoking room. It has a lot going for it. But it was too rowdy for my tastes. I didn't really want to eat every meal in a bar. Don't expect to be able to cook much in the kitchen because its the size of a walk in closet and most of the time it is taken over by staff. There is a huge staff, mostly travelers that came and never left. I saw a few working, otherwise most were at the bar or in the smoking room. Again that's just me. There are plenty of people that would have an absolute blast here.

• Stayed April 2013