“Not too shabby” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

Flying Pig Uptown
“Not too shabby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2004

Don't be too put off by these reviews. I think that the other people on here may have expected too much. My rating is above average for this place as it was above average for the price.

We had a private room for three nights on the first floor and although it was slightly cupboard-like in size, it was bright and clean with a huge window.

The showers were excellent. They were very powerful and very hot so I can't really understand the previous complaints.

The location is a real winner and you get left completely to yourself within the hostel if you want. There is obviously a bit of noise now and again as it is a hostel but trust me, if you're not too worried about special surroundings, then this place is a pretty good place to put your head down for the night.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2004

I thought the Flying Pig wasn't bad. I stayed in a twin room for 3 nights. The beds were clean and comfortable and although we had to share the WC (slightly whiffy) and shower (excellent), you have to remeber this is a hostel and not a hotel. Expect what you would from a student hall of residence: a bit of noise in the early hours, a queue for the shower at peak times.

Check in and check were quick and reception were very helpful. The PIN for the door at night was excellent so there was no curfew. Although we didn't use the bar downstairs, it sounded lively and busy.

Don't expect luxury because that's not what they're promising!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2004

I stayed here in Jan 03, in a 6 bed dorm. The room was small, the beds were just ok. The shower was a bit awful but bearable. The location was ok, but not very central and not much around. I wouldn't stay again, but there are worse places around.

• Stayed January 2003
Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2004

Definitely only for backpackers who are not very concerned with quality. The place was overall dirty and some of the other people staying in our rooms were slightly sketchy and appeared to be staying there a lot longer than 1-3 nights. the bathroom was gross. I didn't even shower here..just waited for our next destination. the one thing i can grant the Flying Pig is that it is very well located on a quiet street close to all the action.

2 Thank inkwave17
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2004

Where to start! A friend and I were visiting Amsterdam before and booked this hostel as it seemed a decent and cheap place to stay, and not having had any prior problems with hostels we've booked in other places, we felt quite confident. We arrived and the reception staff seemed pretty inept as it took over half an hour to book us in, even though we had booked months before. We booked the private 2 person room....The following is no exaggeration, i wish it was!! The room was a very small box, which was wide enough to fit 2 thin beds, with 2cm most between them, leaving for a very 'cosy' feeling between my friend and I :-s it was grotty to say the least, but anyway we figured it was just a place to sleep as we'd be out all day. However, sleep wasnt an option!! We settled in to sleep one night and no sooner were the lights off than the patter of tiny feet were running amok --- mice!! Now i had mice as pets so they dont exactly freak me out, but when theyre scuttling under your bed it isnt the most pleasant experience!! So on came the lights - about 40 times throughout the night. We moved all our stuff so it was all piled on top of our suitcases out of their way. The noises continued...one sleepless night later and we managed to laugh about it the next day, whilst frantically looking for somewhere else to stay. We couldnt manage to find anywhere for that day, only the next, which meant spending another night there. There was another problem too - we relished visiting the toilet as it was a cupboard, and i dont know whether the dutch have particularly short legs or what, but you had to face away from the toilet and reverse in as there was no space to manoeuvre whilst in the toilet, and if you dared to sit down, your knees would touch the door :| Also, the showers were totally gross, and after travelling and a day walking around, a shower was the thing we craved most, yet feared most. Time for bed again and the noises appeared to stop. So we're there chatting, and we suddenly noticed this rustling noise getting louder and louder...the lights were slammed on and we poked around at the source - a multipack of hula hoops - fair enough if theyd been left about but they were IN A SUITCASE!! it was a bit of an operation from then on, i was in charge of dragging a bin from the corridor to a suitable distance to fling the bag into. My mate tentively grabbed a corner and lobbed it in the bin...there was a resounding thud. The mice were still in it :| Ok it was funny as hell but it was just so gross!! Our nerves could stand no more so we made arrangements at this hotel, and made our excuses (pretty imaginative ones - we figured if we told the truth they'd say it was our fault blah blah blah mice are part of amsterdam blah blah blah so we took the easy route to ensure our money back - cowardice!!) and left...we made our way to our new hotel (at least the free internet at the hostel was useful for something ;)) and we were so surprised! It had been arranged over the phone, and we got it relatively cheap,,,when we arrived it was a really posh hotel - Hotel Luxer. It was immaculate and such a great place, location wise it was in the red light district but not right in the busy bit. There were no disadvantages to it at all. However, when we looked in the welcome book under the rates, it was marked up a LOT higher than we had gotten it for....im not sure to this day whether we ended up at the wrong place or what, as when we arrived they didnt seem to have any record of us having rung to book...however, we told them how much theyd quoted us and they gave us a key...so im thinking haggling is the way forward :-D
So yeah....Flying Pig Palace - 0
Hotel Luxer - 100!!

• Stayed August 2003
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2004

I'll admit this was my first time in a hostel. Though I really had no interest in staying in a hostel, everyone told me that it was a great experience and I'd be glad I'd tried it. Well, this wasn't such a great experience. If you're a cash-strapped traveler without many expectation, this place is great. But if you're used to hotels and privacy, you might want to reconsider your decision to stay in a hostel. My sister and I booked a queen-sized bed. It was a top bunk, which made climbing up or down in the dark impossible and perhaps dangerous. The room we were in was co-ed. This didn't bother me until we found out there was no other place to change clothes. A creepy guy watched us get dressed in the morning. That's when we decided that a hostel was probably not best for us. The staff seemed nice enough and understanding -- they gave us our money back when we checked out a few a days early. Overall, I understand why so many people who are travelling on a budget would stay there. But if you are willing to spend a few more euro a night, you can get your own room at a basic hotel and undress whenever you want. The Flying Pig was an OK place, it just wasn't for me.

• Stayed April 2003