“GOOD HOTEL”
Review of Hotel Abba

Hotel Abba
Ranked #182 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 October 2007

we liked.But,the rooms are small.WE stayed in 3th floor,there was many stairs.The breakfast is very good.The location is excellent.We recomend.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cesareduardopinto

Reviewed 16 September 2007

Due to a large convention in Amsterdam, I was unable to secure rooms for more than 1-2 nights at any hotel. I found the Hotel Abba through Booking.com. The hotel is near the Rijk Museum but not in the most favourable direction or location. Tram 1 from AMS Central Station runs right in front of the door – a 10-15 minute tram ride depending on traffic. I was only able to get 1 night at this hotel, a price of 90 Euros for one room with 3 separate single beds. I had read that they take cash without discount and up charge to use a credit card – so paid in cash at check in as requested. This room had a shared bath outside in the hall shared with one other guest room. The room was small given it was for 3 people – and furnished very simply. The TV did work. The shared shower had no trays or shelves to hold any soap or shampoo. No toiletries were provided. The room was on the 3rd floor, and required use of 3 separate keys and rooms had to be double locked to ensure security. The view was of a busy street. Below the hotel is a large supermarket that occupies the first floor, which upon arrival was the scene of a fight involving 3-4 people. The windows are tight and keep out most noise, so I could not hear street traffic and shoppers from below with the windows closed. There is no air-conditioning or fan. The bed(s) were OK but not great. Breakfast is served in a room on the 2nd floor of the building (same floor as the hotel entrance). Breakfast included one type of cheese, one type of sliced meat, bread (no rolls), juice – but there was none left for me), coffee, and no eggs or cereals were displayed. It was the most frugal and poorly provided breakfast I have experienced in my 20-30 stays in Holland. Hotel staff was affable.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank CanadianBoys
Reviewed 6 September 2007

We stayed in this hotel in November 2006.

Pros:

-Price was great
-Clean Room
-Good Location (right near tram stop)
-Above a good supermarket
-Comfy bed

Cons:

-Shower was small and yuck
-Walking to our room up the stairs had a horrible smell everytime
-No lift (hard to carry all our luggage upstairs)
-Room was very basic

I wouldn't stay here again in the future. If you can, spend a little more and stay somewhere nicer.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank softiegal
Reviewed 28 August 2007

I booked 5 or six months before and I was expectant for my holiday in Amsterdam!!! Then I arrived there, I thought it's not so good but it's accetable....then during the first night I heard noises out of the window, I thought there was a man on the window sill so I slept with an eye opened....the noises continued and I said to my boyfriend to switch on the light..He looked outside but the noise became strongly from the basket trash!!! there was a mouse in that rotated
whirling!!!
We go downstairs (at 4 a.m.) and the man at the reception said "it's the middle of the night I cant hepl you, it can't kill you!!!" but a mouse has a lot of diseases and for a man they are very dangerous....the plague, the tifo, the toxoplasmosis, the elettrospirosis can be lethal...
after 15 minutes of discussion, I said that I wouldn't have wanted to go upstair and I would have called the police if hehasn't made nothing so he said that he would have given back our money...We spend the rest of the night on the stairs until 8 o'clock then the reception opened and we went to another hotel...the fantastic Rho hotel....

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marzia80
Reviewed 7 May 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed in a private room with a bathroom for 5 nights at the end of March 2007.
Pros:
1. Directly above a nice grocery store.
2. Directly in front of a tram line which you can take to almost anywhere in downtown Amsterdam within minutes.
3. Very close to the beautiful Vondel Park.
4. Friendly enough staff, front desk people speak english well.
5. Smoker friendly.
6. Price was very reasonable for Amsterdam.
Cons:
1. The shower was too small even for Amsterdam showers, and the shower curtain was like from a dollar store.
2. No elevators, but you have to expect that there.
3. Small room.
4. Trams stop at around 11pm during the week and a liitle later on the weekends, so if you want to be out later than that it is about a 15-20 min. walk to city center. Don't take any taxis in Amsterdam.
Not many other cons I can think of. Overall I would definetly recommend the Abba to Amsterdam visitors on a budget.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AaronCalhoun
Reviewed 20 March 2007

Hotel Abba is not bad if you don't mind sharing a bathroom or paying extra to have a bathroom in your room. It is in a very good location right of the Leidseplein and compared to most places to stay in Amsterdam it is very cheap. Just don't go with high expectations...Very friendly service. There isn't a lift so be prepared to haul all of your luggage up several flights of stairs (it's above a market) and there are also two or three keys for different doors before you get to your room...not bad for one or two nights, i wouldn't stay for an extended period of time...

• Stayed: February 2004, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2006

As a 22 year old first time traveller through europe i was pleasantly surprised with hotel Abba.

We stayed at the same level of accommodation throughout europe and you never know what to expect but hotel Abba was simple with not much to complain about.

Positives
-the room size...booked a double but for some reason it was a triple and it was nice and spacious...a nice change as most budget accommodation = tiny rooms.
-good location, close enough to walk to the center but not too close that you feel everything's on top of you.
-tram stop right outside
-nice area with food stores and bakeries nearby
-comfy beds and pillows (which we found is not a given in budget places)
-we had quite a large bathroom

negatives- our room faced the street, was cool except when you wanted to open the window at night which let in quite a bit of noise. (when windows were closed was fine)
-the stairs were steep but really not a big issue

overall i felt it was basic in a nice way - not much can be wrong :P
would deff stay there again

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends