“great fun”

Ranked #203 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Belfast, United Kingdom
“great fun”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed here a few years ago in 2006, I think. great place to stay for a weekend or a few days. rooms are average with a shower and toilet. Breakfast is pretty basic with a selection of bread and cold meats......you are in the Netherlands after all....There is a supermarket next door and loads of shops and bars nearby. It's a bit far from Amsterdam centre, but a tram is no problem.....they are right outside the door. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. Just ask and they deliver. I was there in November, a bit cold and rainy, but the bed was cosy and warm and heating in the room. It's great fun going to breakfast the next morning and everyone has a hangover....you are made so welcome. give it a go.....well worth it

Room Tip: all the rooms are good......
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Payson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in Hotel Abba in May 2013. I'm positively surprised at how well everything with the hotel went, because some of the reviews here got me kinda worried.

However, everything went great. Our room was plain but it had everything we needed, and the shared bathroom was clean. Being young and healthy I didn't mind climbing the stairs. I slept well - but recommend having earplugs in case you've got noisy neighbors. Luckily, we didn't.

• Stayed May 2013
New York, NY
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Those are my two priorities when traveling so if you are looking for luxury look elsewhere. The breakfast included was okay, nothing amazing but when on a budget it's a nice addition. The room was a nice size in a clean safe location. I'd say its shabby but certainly not dirty. We had a pretty courtyard view from our window so it was pretty quiet.

We went summer of 2011 but I wasn't allowed to choose a date that fear back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hollydc13
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We booked this hotel because it was cheap and was in a great location (walking distance from main attractions). The room was pretty big considering this was Europe, but everything was dimly lit. We were having some issues with the faucet, and when we went to the front desk they basically told us that they couldn't do anything about it and that we would have to have it running all night until they had someone who could come look at it the next morning. Showers and bathrooms are communal and weren't dirty but not exactly the cleanest. For the price it was ok, but next time I might pay more for something better. The free breakfast in the morning is very good I must admit.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 29 March 2013

when we arrived i feel good..... it is in a nice place of Amsterdam: near voldelpark.. and walking in 3 minutes you can arrive at leidsplain. The rooms are not so big but the little park iinside is wonderful. you can stay there for smoke... just sigarettes.. ya.... and drink, is very beautiful.
the guys that work inside have kindly approach and verry pretty. the breakfast's food have much choice. ENJOY YOURSERLFES!!! ABBA IS GREAT!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed at the Abba Hotel for 4 nights last year. We chose it as we were looking for BB at a reasonable price and close to the city centre. It turned out to be a perfect choice. When we arrived at the hotel in the evening with both our jackets and luggage wet as it was pouring with rain from the bus stop, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that the heating was on (it was June!). The room and the bathroom were small, with basic equipment only, but clean and sufficient for a city break. It was adequate for our purpose because we used to leave just after breakfast and come back late in the evening. Breakfast was rather simple but tasty and plentiful enough to keep us going until lunch. We stayed on the top floor so had to climb up the narrow, steep stairs, but we found it as being a part of the Amsterdam experience where most buildings are narrow and tall, so such stairs are probably the only way up in many other places.
The location was very convenient: within a walking distance to the heart of Amsterdam and all its tourists' attractions, with a good tram connection to the Central Train Station.
Our only concern while booking this hotel was possible the smell of cigarettes as Abba is a smoking friendly hotel. Fortunately, there was no unpleasant smell in the room and - as we learnt from a notice - visitors are only allowed to smoke with a window opened, if not, the smoke detector turns on.
An additional advantage can be that a man at the reception speaks Polish so tourists from Poland can communicate in advance with the hotel by emails in Polish.
We were considering coming back to the Abba Hotel for Easter this year but it was fully booked. We hope that next time we will be more successful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Swampscott, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have not stayed in this hotel yet, my booking is for July, but I have already gained a favorable impression of the hotel staff.

I booked the room through Priceline/Booking.com which turned out to be a mistake. The room was not advertised correctly by Priceline (aka Booking.com). It was advertised as a “Pay When you Stay” room which the hotel was not aware of. My credit card was charged the day after the booking which came as a shock to me. Priceline/Booking.com refused to assist in cancelling the charge which aggravated me, denying responsibility for the way it was advertised and blaming the hotel for the misunderstanding.

However, the hotel contacted me directly and offered to rectify the matter in whatever manner suited me, which was quite a refreshing, customer service focused way to conduct business. I am now looking forward to staying at the hotel in July because I have full confidence in the management of the hotel.

I would recommend to others who are considering a booking with the Hotel Abba that they arrange the booking with the hotel directly. That way there will be no surprises. The hotel itself can be trusted, but many of the travel websites cannot.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family