“Think Twice Before Staying Here”
Review of Hotel Abba

Hotel Abba
Ranked #186 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I realize this is a budget hotel but I've gotten great deals before without sacrificing basic quality. This hotel was disgusting. The rooms were tiny, I could touch both walls with my hands extended, and the walls were paperthin. I was put in between two couples travelling together and got very little sleep, even with earplugs. I could hear every word they said. I could also smell every joint they smoked - which was apparently at an hourly interval. I have no problem with people smoking pot but it was pervasive and constant. The only ventilation was achieved by opening my patio doors, which opened onto a common patio so it wasn't feasible for me, a solo female, to leave them open at night. Thus, despite the moderate temps outside, I slept in a very warm, pot-infused, noisy environment. Had it not been my first couple of nights after landing, I would not have slept at all. The breakfast was so-so. The management and other staff were not particularly helpful in that I was not offerred any assistance in climbing the crazy steep Amsterdam stairs with my luggage. The room was filthy - hair on the walls, debris on the floor, let's not even talk about the sheets. The common toilet and shower were slightly cleaner but not by much. I will never stay here again and will steer people clear of it when possible. So, if you're looking to save money, this might be for you, but I imagine there are better deals out there.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank jeamon

Reviewed 4 September 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights on a budget trip back in June 2007. Spent about 55 EUR per night for a single room with breakfast. I had to go through small stair case to reach the room.The room was small, carpeted, but 'quite' clean. There was a single bed, a cloth hanger, and that's it. The toilet is separated from the shower. I found different person everytime I went to the reception, but generally all were very helpfull. Nothing special with the breakfast, bread, butter, ham, cereal, etc - but since it's included in the room rate, it was OK.

The location is a little bit out of the city center, although Amsterdam is not a big city. I had the "I Amsterdam" card, so travelling was not a problem. There's a tram stop just outside the hotel. I would recommend this hotel if you're travelling in a budget.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2009

The toronto man at the reception desk was very unfriendly - made multiple snarky comments about our "uncivilized" country of origin. It calls itself a hotel, but it is more akin to a bad hostel. Rooms were very small and exceedingly hot - but if you open the windows to let in some air, you won't be able to sleep in past 6am because of all of the noise. Bathrooms were communal. Warning: the stairs are extremely steep; if you have limited mobility, this "hotel" will be impossible for you. Definitely not worth the 90 euros - stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2009

I was upgraded to a twin room from the pe-booked single at no extra cost.
Room just adequately furnished, but clean and warm.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Bathroom shared with one other room.
No washbasin in room.
Breakfast goodish - plenty but a bit unimaginative.
A bit noisy because on a main tram route.
Close to main museums, Vondel Park and Leidseplein.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ComfortseekerEngland
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We were on the top floor, so we had to carry suitcases up four flights of steep stairs. The shared shower/toilet with one other room was a surprise. Otherwise, breakfast, service, welcome, advice and safe deposit box were very good. We chose the hotel because it was the only one with a reasonable price for our visit. As advertised, we had to pay by cash in advance.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in late May. We were on the next to the highest floor and the stairway is very steep. Located right at a tram stop so that is the best way to get to the hotel from the train station. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was included. The room included a double bed, bed end tables, closet, table, 2 chairs and TV. The window looked out onto a courtyard. The bathroom included a sink, toilet and compact shower. The weather was warm and with the window open it was rather smokey during the evening. The hotel is within walking distance of many tourist sites and located right over a grocery store. We booked by email about 3 months prior to our stay and paid 85 Euro per night including breakfast. It was a good value for the price.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oregonhiker6
Reviewed 28 January 2008

This review is a little late as I stayed at this hotel around the World cup in the summer of 2006. It was very hard to get a room at any hotel for a decent rate because of the world cup but managed to get a decent rate at the Abba for 3 people.

I was a little skeptical at first as whoever was at the front desk did not appear too friendly but my friends and I got a decent rate for a room with 3 beds. When we went to our room we noticed in the closet that "Aqui robin" was written on the back which means "robbed here" in Spanish. After seeing this we very cautious in locking our stuff away but at the same time gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt.

The room was moderately clean and comfortable and made for a decent stay overall for 3 young travelers. If you are looking for a fair priced place to crash after partying and in a good location then this is an alright place.

It is right above a grocery store as well which is quite convenient if you are on a budget while traveling.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends