“Cheap 'n' cheerful B&B - recommended” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tourist Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Tourist Inn
Ranked #269 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Cheap 'n' cheerful B&B - recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

I haven't stayed in Hotel Brian for a while, but was pleasantly surprised. I booked it because it was cheaper than any of the other 1* or 2* budget hotels with private rooms in Amsterdamage. It has new owners, who have made-over the place considerably with new carpets and beds. The room was pretty basic, with a bed and sink, and shared showers and toilets on each floor. Breakfast was included, only I never woke up in time. No lock-in, unlike some of the crappy hostels in 'Dam.

The main plus point for me was that the sheets / duvet and towels were clean, and there were NO bed-bugs or mice (unlike the Utopia or Hotel Jimmy, where I stayed the last couple of times I was Amsterdamned).

Good points: Cheap rates, friendly staff, good central location (on Singel canal), clean / tidy. Room could do with a TV though! Will definitely come here again next time I crash and burn in Amsterdamnation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

Listen to what everyone else is saying. This place has bed bugs - I've just got home from staying there and I'm covered in bites. I don't think anything else needs to be said about the hotel apart from that.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Malaga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

I always book the cheapest option in each city I travel, so Im used to small rooms, noisy young people, poor breakfasts and shared bathrooms,thats why they are cheap.
Even so, I get impressed with the dirtiness of this place. They didnt clean the room and bathroom in all 4 days we stayed. There are bed bugs, possibly because I guess they dont change sheets between guests.
But the worst thing is, we found a mouse in our room running over our bed. If you are asking why the black cat at the hall is so fat, well thats the reason. We complaint at the owner, who was drunk and smelly and simply told us "is just a mouse". So book here only if you like to sleep with mice.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Iowa, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have stayed at this place 10 time over the last 10 years.I have always enjoyed it and said so in reviews. However The Brian is NOT SMOKER FRIENDLY ANYMORE. I do not go to Amsterdam for uptight, mainstream and boring.The best part of staying there was hanging out with people from around the world and sharing a smoke.Stay up the street at the Hotel Liberty with the old owners of the Brian,if you want a real laid back Amsterdam experance.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
b'ham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

shocking accomodation, dirty, smelly, basic, there were stains on sheets, bedbugs,rubbish in room when we arrived, i definately would never stay there again! when we arrived, we unpacked our clothes and went out, we took all our valuables with us....thank god, as wen we came back an hour later, someone had been in our room and taken our perfume, the staff were rude, especially the cleaner who i suspect was the perfume thief...i cant comment on the breakfast, as i wouldnt dare consume anything prepared on those disgusting premises!! amsterdam was a lovely place, just a shame it was spoilt by the accomodation

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

I stayed here for three nights. When I arrived the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. Stairs are very narrow and hard to walk up especially with luggage. Entered the room and the door hit the bed it was so small. Room was very basic had a double bed and a sink thats about it. Walls are very thin and can hear the rooms next door. Was bitten by a bug dont know what one lol but left some nice itchy marks for me and my boyfriend. Was not too keen on the shared toilet was smelly and hardly cleaned shower was ok. Did not wake up for breakfast attempted to on the last day and all the tables were full so no breakfast. Overall I believe the hotel is ok good value for money what do you expect really. I recommend it for friends though not couples.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

We reserved a room at Hotel Brian, having read most of the reviews on this site. We found the place to be utterly smoker-unfriendly. The stairs were too steep, the rooms too small, the walls too thin, the toilet too smelly, the shower too drity, the view disgusting (on a cigarette-butt riddled courtyard)... given all these inconveniences, anything more than €10 a night is a rip-off. After our first night there, we promptly checked out and moved to a hotel on Damrak, "De Korenaer". The three-star hotel provided an en-suite WC and shower, as well as a TV and a view on Damrak, for a better price than Hotel Brian.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends