“Great base for a short stay”
Review of Hotel Washington

Hotel Washington
Ranked #268 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I've travelled to Amsterdam many times for both business and pleasure and have stayed at the Washington a few times. It's in a great location - quiet but within very easy walking distance of the tram line and also many of the tourist attractions. The place itself is clean and tidy, no frills but then the price reflects this. If you're looking for luxurious accommodation, then this isn't for you, but if you want a pleasant place to stay while exploring Amsterdam then I find it ideal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CheekyBarolo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Washington

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I did a TON of research and read tons of reviews on places in Amsterdam, as I did not want to end up in a sketchy area. We traveled to Amsterdam in August with a family of 6 (all adults). The hotel itself was ok. The location was within minutes of the Van Gogh Museum and Museum Plein. The breakfast was plentiful. They had plenty of breads, yogurt, juices, and even had scrambled eggs upon request. They also have a small backyard area that you can sit and relax it. I read a lot of reviews about this place and read about the steepness of the stairs. I had convinced myself it couldn't be that bad and I am in fairly good shape. But, consider yourself warned, these are the steepest stairs I have encountered and they are small and each flight is very long. Consider yourself warned!

However, I am going to give 2 different reviews based on the 2 different rooms we had.

Review 1: The first room a 4-person room up one flight of stairs. This room was adequate. It was large and had plenty of space for 4 adults with luggage. The bathroom was large as well, but the toilet was a little finicky. The best part about this room was the large balcony that had French doors that opened to it. This room was completely adequate for a group looking for a place to eat and a quick breakfast before spending a day sightseeing in Amsterdam.

Review 2: The second room was a 2-person room up 3 flights of stairs. First, these stairs were killer. Attempting to get luggage up them was a struggle. Once we arrived at the room, it was hard to believe we had to stay there. This room was tucked away in the attic and had a small porthole shaped window. It was hot to put it mildly. Because of the location, the room has a very small bed (for 2 apparently) and had sloped ceilings. This room was ridiculously small and hot. When we asked the front desk if there was another room for 2 available, we were told that we should have known that a 2-person room was on the top floor. If my only impression of this hotel was the 2-person room, I would have nothing good to say.

Moral of the long story. If looking for a room for 2, I would not chance Hotel Washington. If you're brave enough to tackle the stairs for more than 2 people. this hotel was in an ok location and had a descent breakfast.

4  Thank Lindsey11
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This not a posh hotel, but it is clean, comfortable and in a very old and charming building with unusual steep, winding stairs, high ceilings and big windows. In our room (number 19) we also had french windows and a wisteria covered balcony.
If you are especially interested in the museums, this is in an ideal location, literally four minutes walk from the Rijksmuseum, but in a quiet, leafy side street. You can park outside but this is pricey, better is the park and ride car park at the nearby Olympic Stadium, about six minutes drive away (the hotel will give you a map to it) for 8 Eur per 24 hours to maximum of 96 hours from the time you get your ticket. The car park issue you with travel tickets for each person in your car so that you can get back into the city and return when you are ready - don't lose these as you have to hand them back.
Our family room was big and everything was kept spotlessly clean by the one or two staff on duty at any time, who do everything from breakfast, laundry, cleaning the rooms and manning the reception. but were friendly and exceptionally helpful. The hotel was full but we weren't aware of any noise from other guests.
Breakfast was nothing fancy - typical continental with a fair range of options and they will do scrambled, fried or poached eggs on request - but it was perfectly fine and plentiful, but with so many excellent lunch and dinner options available, it would be a shame to be too stuffed!
There is a tram stop at the end of the road which takes you into the town centre in around 7 mins, but you can walk it in around 15-20 mins.
There were one or two minor maintenance things needing attention - such as blown light bulbs needing replacement or a missing net - but to be fair they didn't bother us enough to even mention them.
I booked direct with the hotel and saved 7% on Booking.com's price and this also included city tax, which Booking.com didn't. I also paid by Visa debit and avoided the 4% credit card surcharge commonly charged, We paid £400 four a family of three for four nights which we thought was excellent value in August.
We'd go there again.

Room Tip: Room 19 is large and has a balcony
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We chose the hotel rather last-minute,so our expectations weren't then too high. But it turned out well.
The location is fab - a quiet residential area very close to the Museumplein (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk). We took the twin "superior" on the 1st floor and it was really OK - rather quiet, spacious room with a balcony (but the curtains should be probably washed more often), tea-maker is useful but putting two mugs or cups next to it would be a nice touch.
Polite, friendly staff. Pleasant breakfast room. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I wouldn't choose a room on the 4th floor, as climbing the steep stairs is a challenge.
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013

It's located in the center, VERY close to the museums. Both the two staffs I had talks with were so polite and helpful. So overall these made me very happy.

However I find it weird when they charge me for Wi-Fi. It's a fundamental need for foreigners, and hotels should not be charging customers for Wi-Fi I think. It feels like they're taking advantage of the situation.

The room I stayed in was in the next building, and the stairs were REALLY frightening actually. I laughed when I saw the stairs' steepness and amount. You should definitely experience it. :)

The breakfast was average, I have better breakfasts each morning at home.

Keep your expectations average, and you will really like this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this experience. Great value and although a bit of a distance from the City Centre, this hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area where the staff were friendly, the room was huge and bathroom enormous! It was not the most up-to-date room but, for the reasonable price, there was nothing to complain about.

The breakfast was fantastic! I went through 4 options as there was so much to choose from.

This was a very pleasurable experience and great value. I would certainly go back again!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a road map to find this as you dont want to miss it
1  Thank fitpaulessex
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We visited family in Amsterdam and they found this hotel for us. We only stayed the one night but we would certainly return. We were on the top floor which was a mission to get to( the stairs are almost vertical) but it was all part of the experience. Sharing the bathroom facilities was not a problem. Everything was clean and tidy.The breakfast that came as part of the room tariff was excellent. A bonus was the Hotels proximity to the Museums.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple