“The Worst nightmare start in this hotel”
Review of Hotel Washington

Hotel Washington
Ranked #266 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I always travel to amsterdam and stay in the hotel and i stayed in this hotel before few year back due to that my boss booked me in this hotel, so i have no option then to stay here, and it also happens last week, that i asked my boss to book me a hotel and he booked me this hotel because the hotel was nearby his home and he have the number of this hotel.

to cut the story short, i was arriving after work around 6pm and i was so tired because i fly really early in the morning from germany and go straight to work and i expected that the reception will give me the key and i took a long nap, but what happen is when i arrived, this lady have my reservation but hesitate to give me the room due to that i need to pay the room immediately, i was so surprise because my boss told me that he already booked the room and pay with his credit card and i show her the email and she also have my reservation with my boss name and his credit card credential. this lady was so rude and she talked to me with patronising voice and i just give up, i said i'll pay with my credit card, i gave her my amex and she said those credit card will be card extra, i gave her my visa card, she said also those with extra, we only accept EC card that don't cost extra. I am so frustrated and then she called the owner and i talked to the owner, i said to him that you have the reservation with my boss credit card and if i didn't show up, you will charge his credit card as well, so what is the problem?? and he understand my logic and he want to talked to the reception lady, and they talked for almost 5 minutes while i am waiting impatiently and i finally lost my tamper and sound her, give me the key or i leave. and she give me they and repeated the same instructions with patronising voice and want me to sign the paper that like an agreement that i won't smoke in the room, if i smoke they will charge me 500 euro or something. i just signed and and go to my room.

she gave me a third floor room, remember that i stayed in this hotel before few year back, and i knew that have terrible stair which almost killed my friends when we carried his big luggage to the second floor, the stair is narrow and if you plan to have a big luggage to carry to your room, forget it, don't kill your self in the process.

so i got into my single room that cost my boss 102 euro per night, it was so small, the bed is terrible, it sucked your body and it didn't even stay flat, it move because of uneven mattress.

the toilet is so so small and what make it suck even more the switch between cold and hot didn't work properly, it defaulted to the hot water, really hot so i ended up shower with a glass from the wash table/basin. i just don't have the mood to complain to that rude lady. so i just sucked it up.

in the morning during the breakfast, no clean coffee glass on the table, and there is another lady and the man manning the room, but they just play dumb and didn't offer any coffee glass or anything, so i just took a normal juice glass and fill it with coffee and this breakfast speed is just pathetic, even the mr bed or highway hotel is better that this. to make it worst i was using the paper bottle and the lid is loose and it pour all into my cold boiled egg. i just had enough and leave immediately after that.

never and never again. just no good thing can be told for this hotel, trust me, i am not really picky person and i stay in the bad hotel before but this is just terrible, plain terrible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I visited Amsterdam in May with two friends and stayed at Hotel Washington for our 3 night stay. The hotel is easily reached from the airport by bus (the 197 I think - stop at Museumplein) which is 5 euros. From the bus stop it is only a 10 minute walk to the hotel. The hotel receptionist was polite and attentive upon our arrival, as well as being very happy to help with all our enquiries. We stayed in a ground floor room which, we were informed, was new. The room had 3 single beds, an up-to-date television, large black out curtains, a kettle and coffees, sugars etc., a seating area and a beautiful en suite. The shower was bizarre as there was a large non-detachable shower head, a smaller detachable shower head and 6 heads which faced to horizontally towards your torso. It definitely ensured a good wash! The room was beautifully decorated, with comfortable beds and efficient, polite maids. The hotel is situated in Museumplein, right near the Van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum and is around a 30 minute walk from Dam Square/central Amsterdam. We did walk a few times but if you're on a short city break it is best to use your time wisely and buy a 48 hour tram pass. This pass only cost us 12 euros each and was totally worth it. The trams come along every few minutes and take you to everywhere in Amsterdam you would want to go.

The hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet (being away from Central Amsterdam ensures a quiet sleep each night). I didn't try the breakfast so I could not comment on this but it did look nice. The hotel was worth the money we paid and we were extremely satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Asking for a newer furnished room may mean you have a room as beautiful as ours was
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Holly S
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Pros - clean, central. Cons - cramped rooms, thin walls, shared shower & single toilet cubicle between 4 rooms. All understandable for a 2 star, except staggeringly high price after taxes and credit card fee applied (ended up paying EUR350 for 3 nights). Very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank John F
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Made out of different houses one next to the other, for the reception and breakfast you'll go in and out if your room isn't in the main house (houses in Amsterdam are historically high but narrow). Prices are quite high in Amsterdam, but the prices of this hotel seem reasonable. Our room was quiet. The bathroom (clearley cut out of what must have been the sitting room of the house) was very small. Inexplicably the shower curtain was totally unsuitable for its needs and every shower would wet the whole bathroom floor (why overcharge with extra work the cleaners?). Also the shower options were rather quirky, but maybe I'm not smart enough: as a matter of fact I didn't at all enjoy my showers! Room seemed clean, and the staff available for any question. Breakfast nothing really special but acceptable. The position of the hotel is very good as within footreach to go to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum; the pubblic transport is just round the corner and it's convenient to go downtown. Bear in mind that the 4% extra charge if you are paying with credit card can be quite a burden and comes to me as a surprise in the XXI century. WIFI is a few euros a day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank henrysco
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights in a single room in the first floor. The room was clean but it was really small, it can only be used for sleeping and keeping your luggage. The bathroom was OK.

Amsterdam is a city where everything is paid. The breakfast is 7.5 Euros but it worth it. The Wifi is not included.

The Hotel is not located in the city center but it is not a problem, you can easily reach the center by walking.

Room Tip: You can rent a bike at the reception, it's about 17 euros for 24h. It's the best way to visi...
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Room Tip: If you want to reserve here, ask in which floor the room is situated. Don't go further than the...
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 21 June 2014

A little far away from town center. Very small shower and toilets at the 4 floor and not so clean. Very hard to limb to the upper floors. Charge extra fee for everything. It might be cheap but price is nt everything.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms at the top floors.
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces