“Great location *****”

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My 1st trip to Amsterdam and choosing a good budget hotel is like the lottery, but we really liked this place. Locaton smack in the middle of a great busy street, breakfast included which was good and fresh. The bar down stairs had good offers on everyday on drinks and the staff were very friendly and knowledgable of the area. The hallways were decorated with a mixture of artwork, as were the rooms. The rooms were a size you would expect for the price, clean and the bed comfy. There was an alley way outside our window that got very noisey at night from the drunkards of Europe, but my suggestion would be get as drunk as them or find a nice little coffee shop and that will help you get to sleep much quicker. When you visit amsterdam ,u dont plan to spend alot of time in your room anyway, so this hotel was perfect and when i return to Amsterdam, i would stay again.

Room Tip: not sure what side we were on.. think the left side of the hallway.. there is an alleyway with alot...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Winston, is a budget hostel, but one that is also accceptable to more acquired tastes.

It is smack bang in the middle of one of the busiest streets in Amsterdam and so if this is what you are after you will be very happy.

The rooms are small and basic but have been clean ever time (3) i have stayed there. We have always had an en suite room and although this is a small bathroom it has a shower toilet and a sink so cant see what else you would need - a bath maybe?

It also has a vbery lively bar which is open late and it does back onto the infamous RLD. You also get a free breakfast. Admitedley it is only coffee, juice, bread, cheese and ham etc but its a good start to the day.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Centraal station and i would recommend it to anyone who is not too worried about aposh place and just wants a comfortable pleace to lay their head while on a short break.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dennis P
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Location is good if you want to be right in the middle of all the action A-dam has to offer, if not - don't stay here as it's smack in the middle of it all. While it's certainly better & more upscale than most hostels, it remains a hostel that lso offers rooms with private showers and/or privates baths. The Art rooms are cool but some have surely seen better days. To be frank I loved it in my 20's, yet my re-visit in my 30's left something to be desired.... like a nicer room!

Room Tip: Art rooms make this average "hostel plus" a unique experience.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Stayed in October 2011 for 4 nights. This hotel is very niceand I'd deffinately return. It is easy to find, around a 5/10 minute walk from the train station and it is right in the heart of the start of the red light district. When we checked in our room was not ready so we were put in a 8 bed room on the ground floor and there was only 5 of us. Luckily they said we wouldn't be sharing with strangers but we did have to stay there over night. The room was nit very nice, very old looking and not very comfortable beds. When we moved the next day we got a great new room. The new rooms are all themed and our room was brilliant as we had 5 beds just for ourselves and as were on the top floor so we had a blacony were you can smoke - as it is non-smoking in the rooms. And there is a lift too!

The hotel has a smoking room area wtih televisions for football and music. It has a reasonable sized bar so even when it gets busy you get served quickly. It also has a big beer garden were we spent alot of our time. The hotel serves food and the food is fantasic. I recomment the nachos and wedges, very nice and good price! The hotel also has a night club however we did not visit it as we were out around the red light disrict most nights. The only down side to the hotel is the room we had, the balcony was leading out onto an alley way which starts at the red light district. This was very noisey at night, of drunken loud people right through until around 3am each night.

The check in people were very friendly and helpful and the hotel has lockers you can use at any time. All in all we had a great stay at this hotel and would return again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are great but noisey. Rooms on the ground floor are for bigger groups and they...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was my 3rd St Chris. Best one yet. Good location. In middle of the red light. Good party and met good people. This one cleaner than others. Bit more expensive but rockin place.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was drawn to this hotel because of the location - less than 10 mins from Amsterdam Centraal and less that 5 mins from Dam Square - and because of the unique room decor that was promised on their website. It did not disappoint.
The hotel is right in the heart of things in Amsterdam, a perfect location, particularly if you are only staying a few days and don't want to waste any time. To get to the hotel reception, you have to go through the spacious but lively bar on the ground floor. I was concerned that I wouldn't get much sleep with all the noise, but noise from the bar didn't bother me at all.
My room was on the 5th floor (there is an elevator), it was small but cosy and comfortable, and even had a (teeny tiny) balcony. The decor was great! murals on the walls, ceiling, even the door, creating a very cozy atmosphere. The room was also very warm which was lovely at this time of year (December). The bed was brilliant - it was like sleeping on a marshmallow :)
The bathroom was compact, but very clean, and the shower was great, lots of hot hot hot water and great water pressure (I wasn't expecting this on the 5th floor). I am a fairly large person, so getting into the shower cubicle was a bit of a squeeze, but it apart from that it was great. Towels, soap and shampoo were provided and changed daily. It seems strange to comment on that but I was worried about it seeing as this location is part hostel, part hotel.

While I really liked this hotel and my room, there were some drawbacks. While I wasn't disturbed by the noise from the hotel bar, my room did face onto the street and there was some noise coming up from there. However, I was with my partner and some friends, and generally we generally didn't get back to the hotel until 12 or 1 pm - the noise didn't bother us for too much longer after that time. You have to expect some noise when you stay in a hotel on such a central and busy street.
Anothe thing was that our room was difficult to find! It was the only door on our floor that had art on the outside. The number was painted on in swirly letters so that made it difficult to iddentify as a hotel room door when compared to the others (all one color, with normal number plates). This resulted in people trying the handle a couple of times during the night, which freaked me out a little- however the door was very secure so I had nothing to worry about. Perhaps the hotel, if they read this, could put a clearer room name/number on that particular door. Another little thing is that the hotel, and at the very least my room, is not very wheelchair accessable - the corridors are narrow, and you couldn't easily negotiate the small room and bathroom in a wheelchair.

Overall though, I really liked this place and I'll definetly be back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up, away from the street noise and bar noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Second time at this hostel, not much has changed. Very good location, well maintained. For some reason neither time did we see the funky decor the website boasted, other than that, the stay was great. Love the bar downstairs. Nice hostel, St Christopher never disappoints. Highly recommended.

I should add that once I reviewed the place on hostelworld the management did message me to let me know that if I contact him directly next time they'd make sure I get one of those funkier rooms - can't beat that! Always good to know your complaint (in this case minor complaints) didn't fall on deaf ears.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends