“Worst hostel ever!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Manchester
“Worst hostel ever!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Well first of all. When we arrived at the hostel we noticed a very disturbing pictures on floor 6 which we had to stay on. When we finally got to our room we notice there was a bad smell of egg. We also saw blood stains and other horrible stains on the bed sheets and mattress. These sheets were never changed and we stayed there for about 3 nights. There was empty glass bottles left on the balcony from the previous guests. The bathroom was disgusting and unhygienic. The food was Ok but it wasnt always cook properly and we received a bad service. The entertainment was ok but i wouldnt reccommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Choose room 606 or just dont go !!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shawholly10
winstonmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. Although we regret to hear your comments, we appreciate this very much so we can look into the things you mentioned and make sure we take action.
To obtain some more details on your experience we will now contact you personally.

All the best
The Winston Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed in the hostel as part of a college trip, I found the rooms very basic - I'm guessing this is what most hostels are like, however the room was hygienically clean. Some rooms are very funky or freaky (as my some of my friends stayed in a room with a skull and freaky interior), my room was just very basic. The location is a very narrow long street (Wammostrat) which is close to central station and practically in the red light district. There is also a restaurant under the hostel which serves nice food and the night club next door is quite small however they had special offers on drinks including 5 drinks for 5 euros which was quite good. Overall I did enjoy my stay in Amsterdam I would to go back but stay elsewhere, but thats just me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Recently stayed here with one of my mates. Ignore the negative reviews. Been to Amsterdam 4 times and its easily the best hostel I've stayed in.

Its located right next to the red light district and within walking distance of all the other attractions and night-life.

The staff were very, very friendly. The bar/club attached is very good and has offers on drinks throughout the day - a great place to start the night.

The rooms were very clean (maid service daily) and easy to get a good night sleep in - not sure why people have been complaining of noise, I didn't find it a problem.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Athey11
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed in April 2012. Could not fault the cleanliness of the place, it was in a great location and the bar was fun. It really was all we were looking for.
My only complaint was on the day of check out there had been a major train crash and no trains were going to airport. Though they could not help this, they could have told us. Luckily we gave ourselves over an hour to get to the airport, but if we had not we would have missed our flight. They should have told us when we checked out and I was disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 and I highly recommend it. Unbeatable location, very safe and secure as well. We had a private room and it was very nice and clean and spacious. Food downstairs is great!! Nothing but good things to say about this place!! I would advise wearing earplugs if you want any sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa P
Bolingey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

This way my first trip to Amsterdam, so obviously my first trip to St'Christophers to. We came as a big group of rowdy Cornish lads, on arrival the check in staff where very friendly, explained everything to use, away we go.
The rooms where spot on for what we required, a bed,toliet & shower & not for getting the FREE continental breakfast.
The bar area was pretty cool, the only criticism I'd make here, is the drinks where abit pricey €5 a pint, but there do have a happy hour, so that's ok 2-4-1 promos & stuff.
Finally I guess the location, it is one street away from the red light district, so you really aint gonna get much more central than that. Especially when it comes to price.

• Stayed April 2012
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I first selected this hotel because the reviews on websites. I wasn't disappointed at all. The location is awesome, right in the middle of the RedLight District. The ambiance at the bar of the hostel is very nice and psychedelic(!). I was afraid about the noise in the dorms because of the bar not far away from them. But I was happy to hear that the noise was really well isolated! The price is also affordable and it was pretty clean as well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends