“Great Location”

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Providence, Rhode Island
“Great Location”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed here with some friends traveling through Europe in April and loved it. Cheap, well run, good bar, nothing to complain about. Also a great location in the Red Light District, with great security.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

Great location. Right in the heart of Amsterdam. Bunk beds were solid, not squeaky. The place provided towels, soap, shampoo, cups. Beds were comfortable. Place was clean. Staff were friendly and accommodating.

The only issue I had was that since the place is located near a bar (same floor as reception), it can get pretty loud at night. Staff offers free earplugs though for this very reason!

• Stayed May 2012
Manchester
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I went to Amsterdam with my college for 4 days in March 2012. Amsterdam the city is a great place to experience with many attractions especially museums. There are also many boat trips and you can hire bike. It was my first time in Amsterdam & in a hostel so I don't know what hostels are like but this one is quite ok. There are quite strange & sometimes disturbing pictures on the floors, especially floor 6. One room had a model of a skull. Our room on floor 6 had some stains on the bed, one small red one, a big yellow one with a bit of dirt on & the room smelt a bit wierd. The sheets & bedding were not changed at all while we were there. The bathroom was a bit unhygienic. There were bottles on the balcony that didn't get moved. I enjoyed the hostels food but not everyone did as it weren't always cooked well. Over all I didn't mind the hostel but probably would try somewhere else but that's just my opinion as I don't want to put you off it as they might have improved or be in the process of improving. But I think AMSTERDAM is a great place to visit for the experience for all types of visitors!

somewhere there
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We've been there for just one night, but it was easy to notice, there was a bad and totally strange energy inside of room #609. We are both really sensitive in case of energies and we both had this feeling. It wasn't because of the picture on the wall, we both thought it's a funny picture, it was something else creating this mood. It also seems that the word "service" is generally not a really familiar word in the netherlands. Especially in combination with the words "friendly" and "good" …

Room Tip: Avoid room #609
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank izaak-maniacovic
Manchester
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Well first of all. When we arrived at the hostel we noticed a very disturbing pictures on floor 6 which we had to stay on. When we finally got to our room we notice there was a bad smell of egg. We also saw blood stains and other horrible stains on the bed sheets and mattress. These sheets were never changed and we stayed there for about 3 nights. There was empty glass bottles left on the balcony from the previous guests. The bathroom was disgusting and unhygienic. The food was Ok but it wasnt always cook properly and we received a bad service. The entertainment was ok but i wouldnt reccommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Choose room 606 or just dont go !!!
1 Thank shawholly10
winstonmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. Although we regret to hear your comments, we appreciate this very much so we can look into the things you mentioned and make sure we take action.
To obtain some more details on your experience we will now contact you personally.

All the best
The Winston Management
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed in the hostel as part of a college trip, I found the rooms very basic - I'm guessing this is what most hostels are like, however the room was hygienically clean. Some rooms are very funky or freaky (as my some of my friends stayed in a room with a skull and freaky interior), my room was just very basic. The location is a very narrow long street (Wammostrat) which is close to central station and practically in the red light district. There is also a restaurant under the hostel which serves nice food and the night club next door is quite small however they had special offers on drinks including 5 drinks for 5 euros which was quite good. Overall I did enjoy my stay in Amsterdam I would to go back but stay elsewhere, but thats just me.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Recently stayed here with one of my mates. Ignore the negative reviews. Been to Amsterdam 4 times and its easily the best hostel I've stayed in.

Its located right next to the red light district and within walking distance of all the other attractions and night-life.

The staff were very, very friendly. The bar/club attached is very good and has offers on drinks throughout the day - a great place to start the night.

The rooms were very clean (maid service daily) and easy to get a good night sleep in - not sure why people have been complaining of noise, I didn't find it a problem.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends