“Definitely room for improvement”

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Toronto, Canada
“Definitely room for improvement”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed at the St Christopher's in Paris, which I loved, so I figured the Amsterdam version would be equally if not more awesome. And the atmosphere was awesome, as promised, and the rooms were well designed and I liked the art, however, there was one big glaring thing that made my stay with them harrowing.

They double booked my bed. Twice.

Now, the first night, it was kind of funny, I guess. I'm a female travelling alone, mind you, so when I come back at dinnertime to my six-bed mixed dorm and find a dude sitting in my bed (on my stuff?), I was a bit concerned, but they cleared that up and hahaha stuff happens sometime, right? They booked me into another room down the hall, and all was gravy.

But the second night? I was in my bed, asleep, at 2 am, and woke to a dude standing over me, angry and yelling, that I was sleeping in his bed. Scary? Yeah. And then the front desk guy came to the room and looked at me like I was a stoner who had wandered into the wrong room and acted very patronizing. But I had my security card that showed I was in the right bed, and his face turned red as he realized that someone messed up, hard.

I got transferred to yet another room, private at least, and was refunded my money for the night, but still. My experience was soured. Two times? Come on. Get your booking system together, guys.

I did like the vibe there, and the wifi was fantastic, and the food at Belushi's is great. The beds were comfy and clean, and they give you towels and shampoo which is a bonus. It's just probably way better for people travelling in groups. Get a private room, and hope that they don't double book that one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor facing the street are suuuper noisy. Avoid as much as possible (Especially ro...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lakenheath
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hostel was nice and pretty secure. We had a private room with a balcony. Only problem was that the balcony door would not lock. The beds were firm, pillows and blankets were soft and cozy. Pretty clean establishment. Breakfast is complimentary, they have an elevator, bar, pool tables and outdoor seating. The have a club next door but we went out for the night. I'd go here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed in a "Superior Double" which was not as clean as I was expecting, although for the price we paid there was nothing to complain about. A few hairs were found on the sheets and the carpet/balcony were not very clean, although having access to a balcony was very convenient and the view onto Warmoesstraat was pleasant. Friendly staff, convenient lockers. Lovely atmosphere. The Winston served its purpose well as we did not come to Amsterdam to sit in our room all day! Overall positive experience. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We were strongly advised by friends to stay here, however after travelling throughout Europe, it was definitely not the best value for money. We paid a lot more here than elsewhere and it definitely was not the best. Rooms were quite clean, toilet was noisy, lockers under the bed were broken and therefore unuseable. Apart from this, the bar was good, food was good, (except breakfast but its free so usually arent great) and location is ideal. But could get something similar for cheaper.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ck2811200
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

First time we had ever visited amsterdam and for some, stayed in a hostel. We are a group of 6 english girls, all 18 and we were not expecting the quality we recieved!
The hostel is in the middle of all the buzz and about a minute walk from dam square! Train station is easy to find.
We booked a private 6 dorm at a very reasonable price!
Our bedroom was basic but was perfect for us! The bathroom was large and the shower was always hot and we had no complaints at all!
Staff were super friendly and the atmosphere was so laid back and inviting
Belushi bar served the best food and we hardly ate anywhere else because of the excellent discount and quality! Garden was lovely, decoration was modern and we experienced no problems apart from a broken door handle!
At night time, it does get noisy and early morning you can hear the church bells - however, ear plugs are free we just didn't wear them and our window was always left open to keep cool, so this problem can be avoided.
This is deffinately the place to go for young groups of travellers and friends and we would highly recommend it
Already planning our next trip back here!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

In such a good location - right in the red light district and close to the centre of town. Rooms are decent ann bathrooms quite small. Breakfast included and service was great. Bit noisy as there is a bar down stairs but they hand out free earplugs to you. Really good vibe, lots of fun. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
Elmore, Vermont
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I found the staff friendly and the bar a great place to eat, drink and people watch. I had zero concerns for safety as a 32 year old female traveling alone. I stayed in a large room with others and shared a small shower and sink. It was terribly overpriced in this regard. The location was solid but for sharing so little space, not much bang for your buck.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo