“The Perfect Hostel”

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at the Windsor in a private ensuite room for two nights, and couldn't have had a better experience. The staff was beyond helpful. They were extremely nice and informative. The decor was really cool. Of the four hostels we stayed at during our trip, St. Christopher's at Winston Hotel had the most comfortable beds, by a long shot. The location is perfect as well - right at the edge of the red light district and a close walk to the train station.

If you stay at the hostel, there are food and drink discounts at the bar/restaurant downstairs, which is nice. The food is pretty good and the drinks are decently strong. The club is small, but a lot of fun.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristin L
Richard P, Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Hey there,
It makes our day to read reviews like yours about our staff. Thanks for writing and for all your kind words. The guys here love there jobs and we're glad that it shows. More importantly we're glad that they were able to help you during your stay with us and give the right information about the city,
Thanks again and travel safe,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed at this hostel for a long weekend in April with a mixed group of 10 friends celebrating a couple of birthdays! We had two 5 bed rooms on the sixth floor next door to each other. Rooms had two sets of bunk beds and a single bed in each along with an en-suite with your usual toilet, sink and shower. Rooms were really clean, had some cool funky artwork on the walls and lockers where you could safely keep along your belongings locked, so overall great room.

Did not manage to get up early enough on any of the days to try the free continental breakfast but the hostel has a full bar downstairs that does all your normal pub grub and does a good full English breakfast. Location is ideal with only being a 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station and right in the middle of the action for all the pubs, clubs, red light district etc.

Overall a great hostel and if your looking for a cheap, clean hostel in a great location then this is the place!

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 606 & 607 which were both 5 beds rooms on the 6th floor with a shared balcony...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello again,
Thanks for leaving us such a great set of reviews,
We're pleased to see that our services, facilities and prices were such a good fit for you and your group's needs.
Hope you guys made the most the most of the adjoining balconies between your two rooms as well ; )
We trust your friends all enjoyed their birthdays too,
Thanks again,
Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Hostel is in an excellent location, just next to the Red Light District, 8/10 minutes walking to the central train station, 2 minutes to the Dam Square and in a walking distance to the most of touristic areas in Amsterdam.
The staff is very nice and the Hostel is very clean and well decorated.
It offers an amazing breakfast with all you need, inclusive fruits and eggs.
Definitely come back.
Just avoid the rooms at the end, because the internet is not very good there.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the end (rooms 7 and 8) because the internet is not very good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Richard P, Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hello there,
Nice of you to take the time to let us know about your time with us. And it's good that you bought up those little internet issues you were having. Coincidentally, our new Wi-Fi setup is mere weeks away from installation, which we believe will take our connection from good to great!
Great to see you found our hostel conveniently located as well. It's only a short crawl to the train station as you said, which means you can get the most out of your time in the city without worrying about getting lost or wasting time trekking around.
Take care, and thanks again

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked the hotel for a weekend and I couldn't be more satisfied, everything was great, starting with the staff that was really friendly, the food was excellent!! and you get discount coupons for food, drinks,etc. The location is great just a few steps from the red light district and 5 min away from the Central Station. The rooms were also great, very clean. They cleaned the rooms everymorning and a girl from reception came once to check if everything was in order and asked me if everything was clean and if all the lights were working. I find that pretty awesome. They really care about the experience you get, The hostel has a great bar and beautiful garden, amazing music all day long. I will definitely come back to the hostel if I go to Amsterdam. Couldn't be happier with the service I got. And I would definitely recommend it to anyone visitng Amsterdam. Thanks once again for the great experience :D

What a fantastic review!
Our team here are always extremely pleased to see that they've made a lasting impression on our guests. In really makes their day to know that they've contributed to somebody's great experience in Amsterdam.
Sure you must have shared a few beers with the guys in our Belushi's bar too, as you seemed to have made the most of our fantastic 2-for-1 drinks deals and discount food in our restaurant.
Make sure you give us a heads up next time you're in town and we'll be sure to make it worth your while ; )
Safe travels, and thanks again for your kind words,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

100% Stay here everytime i return to Amsterdam!
Best Food!
Bar!
Pool table!
All you need!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Richard P, Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hey mate, thanks for getting back to us. Great to see you made the most of our bar during your time with us. Many do! Hope you showed your security card to the team to get 2-for-1 drinks deals and discounted food in our restaurant as well. If not, there's always next time ; ) See you around, and thanks again

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked this hostel as a last minute deal via one of the big booking web providers. Having spent almost a day looking at flights and accommodation I know value all the time spent in finding this place.
Naturally I read all the comments left by other fellow travellers to get a feel of a place, and I guess you can generalise in some way. I was impressed by the consistent good reviews that I have read. It was a combination of a consistent message left by others and also the name that sealed the deal for me. St Christopher is not only the patient saint of travellers but also of a very beloved family member.
The only negativity I have read, and I also have experienced, was the noise from a neighbouring street at the early hours in the morning. However, this was something I was more than happy to accept because of the proximity of the hostel to the centre of Amsterdam. Well, it is in the centre. You also have to remember that this is a short stay/visit to Amsterdam, and not as if you are going to buy a place and live in it long term.
I arrived early to Amsterdam and in time for breakfast. The first mistake I made was to use a locker at the Amsterdam train station to leave my luggage. This was at a cost of 7.95 Euros. I had no idea that St Christopher’s had lockers. I used one when I left to leave my luggage after I checked out for the day before catching my flight. There you only pay 0.40 Euros an hour or 2.00 Euros for the day.
My advice is to head straight to the hostel and use the lockers if you need to. It is not just the cost but the convenience too. Oh, and there is plenty of lockers, I mean plenty – several rooms, sky high, different sizes and using the state of the art technology too.
I tried to cheekily check in about 30 minutes early. The staff’s attitude was first class. They check me in. Were unable to allocate a room for me as yet, but gave me my vouchers so that I can use them in the bar facilities. They even remembered that I had special sleeping requirements and they acknowledged these with pleasure. Ah, what a joy to get customer services that actually gives you what you want and with genuine pleasure.
The vouchers were excellent. I used these before I was allocated my room, during my stay, and after I check out until I left Amsterdam, and thank you St Christopher’s for the food was great and the bear was excellent. I opted for the Cheese Burger and ‘boy o boy’ you can really taste the meat. I am not a vegetarian but I do sometimes have the ‘vegi’ meals, and the ones there looked great, but nothing was going to woe me away from another proper burger.
On the topic of food, the breakfast is the best I have had at a hostel and certainly in Amsterdam, and this was my fifth visit to this great city. Plenty of food, great quality and no one objects or look at how much you take. If you are like me and you sometimes that I’d rather have a lye-in instead of getting up for a bit of toast and jam, you will be very much mistaken.
The room was large, clean and I had one of the eight bunk beds. It had separate shower and toilet, and that meant that one facility could not be sacrificed by the use of the other. We even had an additional sink in the room. The facilities we clean, modern and worked. No complaints there.
As for sharing with people, I was a little unsure at the start because of my age. I thought that these hostels were simply for the younger person but I would like it be known that not only did I see several people of a similar age group to myself, but also the staff treated me well as per any other all guests. Even some of the staff was of a similar age group to me and that put me at ease a little. We all got on well in the shared room and I guess people are people in the end of the day.
I would recommend that you take with you a travel lock for everybody gets a large chest under the bunk bed, the size of exactly half a bed, and certainly plenty to store all your travelling bags, except for one lady in my room who could not find it, and it beats me how you could miss it, but decided to display her luggage and it content right in the middle of the room, resembling a wild west wagon camp site awaiting igniting!
The security there was impressive. You are always greeted in and out past the reception desk. On Saturday night they employ security at the front of the hostel to control customers in and out of the hostels bar. I was also challenged at the reception desk as to my movement whilst making my way to room. I welcomed this and it added a certain comfort to know that security does go on and not just by name.
In summary, the hostel is not only welcoming, comfortable, clean, warm, but seem to show experience and understanding to cater for all situations from pre-stay to post-stay. I even recall a message by a passing bar member of staff, whom by the way did not take my food order, assuring me that they have not forgotten my order and that it was on its way. I have been to Amsterdam now for five times, and certainly if for a sixth time, I too shall be on my way there.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 4. Clean with modern facilities. Love it as its on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Wow! Such a thorough review requires a thorough response ; )
Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with everyone. You seem to have a good understanding of what the TripAdvisor community is all about, and indeed the traveling community at large as well. Love it!
It's really good to read that you made the most of both our restaurant and of our free breakfast - so important to keep well fed when you're on the road, which is why we have such an extensive selection in our all you can eat breakfast buffet.
And thanks for your kind words about our staff. It really makes their day to know that they have left a lasting impression on some of our guests. And very true what you say, our team represents all sorts of nationalities, age groups and cultures, which is what we think traveling is all about ; )
Please let us know if you plan on returning,
Thanks again for your fantastic review, and safe travels!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Probably a little expensive for a hostel but I think it is worth it as you are in a great location with lots to see and do. The bar is a really nice area. Really clean. Great breakfast.

On another note it is super noisy so probably not a great area if you near to get lots of sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Hey there. Good of you to back to us.
We can understand your concerns with regards to price, as we know only too well that Amsterdam is among the most expensive cities to travel in Europe. However, we think it's worth every penny ; ) Our rates are a little higher than some of the no frills accommodation you can find in the city, but we believe that we make up for it with our excellent facilities and services that are unfortunately hard to come by elsewhere.
We're really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us nonetheless and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip,
All the best