“Wonderful stay for a group of 15 university students”
Review of Hotel Fita

Hotel Fita
Ranked #10 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 March 2013

A very large 'thank you' to Roel, Martijn, Ria de Haas and Queenie for making our 8-night stay memorable. Our university studnet group took up approximately 3/4 of the small, boutique style hotel just a very short walk to the Museumplein (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk Museum) and P.C. Hooftstraat, a very high-end shopping street with designer shops and nice restaurants. I have stayed in a number of different locations in Amsterdam in many trips over the years, but this location was the best, not only for my interests (museums) but for the student group as well.

The tram into more Central Amsterdam (although a 15-20 minute walk) is 3 blocks from the hotel.
If you are arriving at Amsterdam's Centraal Station, take the #2 or #5 and it will stop at 'Museumplein' right in front of the Rijksmuseum. From there it is another 3 blocks down Jan Luykenstraat, hotel is on the left side of the street, on the corner, across from a children's playground and school.

Our group had 9 rooms: the largest room, #24, was turned into a triple with the addition of an extra twin bed. This is the largest room I saw which is usually a double. Room 32 was a beautiful double room with a balconey and large floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides (corner). If I were staying again, I would ask for this room. Room 36 was also a nice double, a bit smaller, but with large windows creating the corner.

My faculty partner and I were given singles. Rooms 28 and 38. Both were VERY small, with one twin bed, a small desk and a tall clothing cabinet, no dresser. I had to live out of my suitcase. Room 38 had one window and faced a brick wall. Room 28 had a bit better view but was identical to room 38. They are probably the most economical rooms, as they are for one person, but if you want space, I would suggest getting a double. It would appear that all rooms had a Nespresso machine in the room with 2 caps to get you started. You could purchase 4 more caps for 4 Euros. There was also an electric tea kettle and tea bags and instant coffee.

The spacious breakfast room was on the ground floor with windows facing the street. Rows of square tables were you can eat with others or separate. The breakfast was delicious with many different choices to accommodate different eating styles. They made the Dutch pancakes to order and all of us took advantage and order the pancakes (more like crepes) every morning. I don't eat eggs, or meats, so i was very happy to have delicious granola, fruit and yogurt available to me. Also, a coffeemaker where you could choose what type of coffee you wanted. The Dutch coffee is strong, the way I like coffee, so i was in heaven that whole week.

Room Tip: I mentioned the best rooms that I saw in my review above.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ElizRes

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed at Hotel Fita for a couple nights recently. The team was nice and welcoming, and although the location wasn't central, it was an easy walk and the tram was only a few minutes away and was great for getting around (tip: be sure to buy the day pass for the tram, which is 7 euro, as opposed to the 1 trip, which is 2 euro or so). Roel laid out all the details on the map on arrival, which made the next couple days very structured. The hotel was cozy and felt very homey, and breakfast was a good experience, with Roel serving his pancakes. On the down side, the room was a bit small (#16), and it wasn't warm enough at night (granted, I was coming from warm climates). Otherwise, hope to stay with them again in the spring when I go back with my family.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ImadE563
Reviewed 20 March 2013

3 of us stayed here for 4 nights in March and had a great experience. The location was great, only a few minutes walk from the Museumplein and 10 mins from Leidesplein. It is very close to several bus and tram stops, including the stop the 197 bus to and from the airport goes from.

The rooms are well equiped and the Netspresso machine was a nice (and welcome!) touch. It was very cold in Amsterdam when we visited but the rooms were always lovely and warm.

The hotels greatest asset though is its friendly staff. Without exception everyone was extremely welcoming and eager to assist in anyway. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Greennotcabbage
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Fita for 3 nights in January. We were warmly welcomed by the team upon arrival and immediately offered assistance with our luggage up the few steps to the small reception area.

We were promptly shown our room (#34), which was on the top floor. Thankfully there is a small elevator in the hotel. The room was very spacious with a number of large windows, allowing lots of natural light into the room. The bathroom was also very generous in size. The room decor was nice, the bed was comfortable and best of all, the room was spotlessly clean! In our room, there were 2 chairs, a small coffee table as well as a desk to work from if needed. There is a safe located in the wardrobe and a Nespresso coffee machine and tea bags in the room. There is no minibar or fridge in the room, however, there is "Fita's Trust Bar" located on B1 (near the breakfast room) where you can purchase snacks and drinks at reasonable prices. Such a great idea!

The breakfast was good and after reading all the comments about the home made pancakes, of course we just had to try them! They were very tasty!

The location of the hotel is superb! There are a number of tram stops nearby which makes getting around Amsterdam very easy. Some of the museums are also within walking distance from the hotel. There are some lovely boutique and designer label shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs and a supermarket (Albert Heijn) also within walking distance to the hotel.

One night I was in a rush to return to the hotel, so I took a taxi back to the hotel. If you do need to catch a taxi, be sure to take your map (given to you upon check in by the staff) with you as some of the taxi drivers don't know the hotel, although they do know the area very well. Just a helpful tip: The Hotel Conservatorium is the largest 5 star hotel nearby which most taxi drivers know, so if you ask the taxi driver to go to this hotel, Hotel Fita is located just around the corner.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Fita and can not give enough praise to the genuinely friendly, warm and welcoming staff who work there. If you don't want to stay in a large unpersonalised chain hotel, then this is a great option for you. If you are looking for a good, clean, family-run hotel that is very reasonably priced, then look no further than Hotel Fita.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 16 March 2013

A group of 12 ladies stayed at the Hotel Fita in late December 2012. The location was perfect, with easy access to shopping and public transportation. It is small, but lovely.They met us at the front door and rushed out to carry our luggage. Roel was extremely helpful with information that made our stay hassle-free. The rooms were small, very clean with nice bedding. The food was excellent. Their homemade pancakes (in the states we call them crepes) were the best I've ever had. We asked for the recipe as they have a little secret way of adding exceptional flavor. Our trip leader is a world traveler who is also a travel agent. She was so impressed with Hotel Fita that she has written an article that will appear in a travel magazine soon. Don't miss staying in this charming hotel with it's wonderful staff of helpful and friendly people. Restaurants are close by and a great bakery is right around the corner with an ATM machine outside. I will definitely stay there again. If you are looking for small and charming, this is the place. It is not a large chain that offers more amenities, but for us, it was a breath of fresh air.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 which is next to check in, overlooking the street with a bay window. Others st...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nita R
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Quiet location, close to major museums and well served by public transport. In a few minutes you can reach the city center. The hotel staff is extremely courteous and you feel at home. It is a hotel that I recommend and if I return to Amsterdam I will go there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mirosa S
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Roel and Martijn are extremely friendly when it comes to make their guests feel at home in this hotel! It's a small and cosy hotel next to Amsterdam parks and museums!! And its breakfast... DELICIOUS!! Don't expect big rooms, but they have everything you'll need to make your stay in Amsterdam unforgettable! Totally recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo