“Pristine, Quiet and Comfortable Accommodations”
Review of Hotel Fita

Hotel Fita
Ranked #13 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 May 2010

A friend and I planned a three-night stay at Hotel Fita, which turned into eight nights due to the volcano in Iceland. If you have to be stranded anywhere, this is the place to be. First, the hotel is immaculate, and the beds are super comfortable. Hans, Loes and their team are very professional, handling any request with ease--from directions and a map to help you navigate the city, to restaurant recommendations and taxi reservations to the airport.

The hotel is located in a quiet residential neighborhood, a block away from many upscale shops, and a few minutes' walk to the VanGogh and Rijks museums. Just up the street, there's a tram station that delivers you to many locations throughout the city.

Amsterdam is a great city to explore by walking. What we liked most about the hotel's location: we were less than a 10 minute walk to the beginning of the city's canal rings, yet returned each evening to the quiet, comfortable accommodations of our hotel, away from the tourist hustle and bustle.

Breakfast was served in a lovely room and provided a great start to the day. You'll enjoy fresh coffee, fruit, cheeses, eggs, sausage, yogurt and the most delicious pancakes, while chatting with other hotel guests and swapping restaurant and sightseeing suggestions.

For a fun, entertaining evening out, dine at Pasta E Basta. The food is delicious, and you'll be treated to servers who, as students at a local music school, take the microphone and perform songs in between serving the patrons. You get a great meal and great entertainment all in one place!

We recommend taking a canal cruise, too, as you'll see parts of the city that you wouldn't necessarily see by foot. A note of caution: watch out for the people on bikes. The city is filled with bike pathes, and some of the bikers can be pretty aggressive.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed 1 May 2010

My husband and I were recent guests at Hotel Fita ( originally booked for 4 days but then were extended another week due to ash..)and we felt compelled to post a review - our stay was wonderful...the rooms were roomy and immaculately clean, the beds comfortable and the bathrooms were large enough to accomodate two. The wonderful area around the hotel is filled with museums, amazing shops and the Vondelpark - rent a bicycle and do a few laps.. perfectly lovely way to spend the afternoon , and quite calming to people watch when you have had a stressful day filled with flight cancellations. Honestly , we cannot say enough about our stay here. Hans was wonderfully kind to us during our extended stay and found room for us to stay extra days. We had travelled to London and Paris as well on this trip but Hotel Fita made Amsterdam our favorite place - we will definitely return and have spread the word about this fabulous gem in the Museum district.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I and two friends recently had the good fortune to stay at Hotel Fita while in Amsterdam. We were originally scheduled for 8 nights but were able to extend to 13 due to the volcano in Iceland. Everything mentioned in the other reviews is true: great location, delicious breakfast, clean rooms, quiet, free wifi, free laundry, great staff, free phone calls to the US. But the real treasure is the owners, Hans and Loes. During our extended stay we ran out of medication - they got us in touch with a physician and pharmacy; needed a hair cut - they made an appointment with a fabulous barber; additional days in Amsterdam - they made recommendations for some great places and excursions we would not have known about. We were made to feel so welcome and comfortable. We also enjoyed the conversation at breakfast with our fellow stranded travelers. If I am in Amsterdam again, I would not consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2010

my stay at the hotel fita was great, very freindly people with great sense of humor made me feel at home for a quiet stay in amsterdam i recomend it highly close to everything museums transport ex

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We recently booked four nights at the Hotel Fita that unexpectedly resulted in becoming ten nights due to the explosion of volcano Eyjafjallajokull on Thursday April 14th two days before our departure. Hans and Loes, along with the entire staff of the Hotel Fita treated us and the other "stranded" guests kindly. Everyone was able to extend their stay. The free Internet and Wi-Fi, along with the free telephone (local and long distance) helped keep everyone connected. The hotel is in an excellent location for the museums, trams and restaurants. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well maintained. We had room number six the least expensive and it was perfectly adequate--comfortable bed, good size bathroom (great water pressure), TV and a couple of chairs. The room has a wardrobe cabinet. My wife and I have been traveling to Europe for fifteen years, we pack light and are prepared to wash clothes out in the sink and hang them to dry. So, having the free laundry was really nice. We placed our clothes in the laundry basket gave them to Hans, and when we stopped back after lunch the clothes were in the room. The breakfast was very enjoyable. We ate in a comfortable room, were served coffee or tea, fresh squeezed juice and pancakes every morning. The buffet included eggs, meat, cheese, fresh fruit, breads, Hans' homemade jam, granola, yogurt and cereal. During breakfast Hans was always available to answer questions, give advice or just chat. It was also an opportunity to talk with the other guest and share suggestions about things to do or restaurants to go to. It is a family run business whose owners make their guests feel like family. If your only reason for travel is to check things off your list then maybe it doesn't matter where you stay. But, if you travel in order to meet new people and experience other cultures, then where you stay is part of your visit. The people at the Hotel Fita made our stay in Amsterdam a visit. They are wonderful hosts who sincerely care about their guests.
Note about Eyjafjallajokull: The time during the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull was stressful. Planes were grounded across Europe and no one knew when the eruption was going to end and when we could get back home. In spite of the inconvenience and anxiety that accompanied this event, two blessings came out of it. First, though over a million people were affected no one was hurt. Second, we had the good fortune to spend those days at the Hotel Fita with Hans and Loes, the hotel staff and the other guests whom we met. I'm thankful everyone returned home safe and maybe in five years we'll have a reunion.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2010

My husband traveled to Amsterdam on business, and I accompanied him. Because of the vocano erruption and the closing of the airport (Schippol) we had an extended "vacation" in lovely Amsterdam. The hotel was very nice, comfortable and in a wonderful location. We walked all over the city, and rented bikes on three separate occasions. We were very well treated and respected by the friendly staff, and would stay there again. (price was 159 Euros per night, queen bed and private bath.)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I stayed in the hotel in the beginning of spring so many places were booked to capactiy from travlers coming to see the flowers bloom. Service was great.

I booked in advance via email. Everything was easy and the response time was less than 24 hours. Upon arrival, I was taken to my room where they completed my registration. I was givena glass of champagne and warm cashews. They asked my about sightseeing activities and provided me tickets to the museums I wanted to go to in the city. The ticket costs were added to my hotel bill without any surchage. A wonderful service! I was able to bypass the wait lines at the museums which were 20 minutes at one and 1 hour at the other. They provided me with a city map and provided information about other city events.

The hotel is located in a really nice neighborhood with a 2 minute walk to the nearest tram. Very quiet residential neighborhood at night so it was easy to get sleep. The people at the hotel are wonderful. During breakfast they were giving travel information to a couple who was taking a day trip to Harlem. They provided them with train times and useful information so they would not get lost. This was going on while they were preparing and serving breakfast. They didn't miss a beat.

I left early for the airport and was able to pay the evening before I left. They helped me to navigate to a bus to get to the aiport cheaply (4 euros). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo