“Great Staff - Minutes from Train Station”

Hotel Sint Nicolaas
Ranked #54 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The staff was very friendly and helpful at this small hotel. We had a large family room on the top floor which had four single beds which were very comfortable. We took the train in and out of Amsterdam and the hotel is an easy few minute walk to the station.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, my husband and myself and 17 year old daughter shared a 3 person room. The room was fantastic, a good size with a lovely and clean bathroom including a bath. My only negative is the room was a bit warm and opening the window let in a lot of noise from the trams. We walked with our luggage from the station no problem. The handy tram access was useful for when we ventured into the museum district or to the cheap eateries in the noisy part of town. The room was quiet despite trams. Lots of coffeeshops close by which didn't interest us but didn't get in our way either. Some cheap cafes close by but also some pricey ones so look at menus and head toward the smaller streets and laneways. Breakfast was a typical continental which filled us up well. Loved the decor. Will come back if in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Ragrunberg
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My hubby and I went to a 10 day trips in May visiting Frankfurt, Paris, and Amsterdam. After experienced the shabby and tiny 3-star hotel rooms in Paris and Frankfurt, we didn't have high hopes for Hotel Sint Nicolaas. But wow, what a nice surprise. The room was "huge", classy, with fresh paint and modern finishing in the bathroom. Although the windows were facing the Voorburgwal street, the room is well sound proofed once the window is closed. There was a safe in the closet for customers' convenience. The location is great, a short five minute walk from the central train station and the major habor for canal cruises. Free Wifi and the complimentary breakfast buffet was good, offering fruit salad, cold meet/cheese slices, vegetables, pastries, juices and coffee. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. At the night before our departure, we checked with the front desk if we may had some breakfast earlier next morning as we need to leave around 5:30am. He said it may be difficult as the stuff serving breakfast only start working at 7am. Then in the morning when we came down to the lobby at 5:40am, he has already set out most of the breakfast items for us all by himself. We were deeply touched. This nice gesture just made the perfect end to our trip.
Thank you, Hotel Sint Nicolaas. We will defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BCtravelerette
Reviewed 22 May 2011

As first-time visitors to Amsterdam, the staff were very, very helpful in helping us find our way...from printing train schedules to recommending tours, etc. It is only about a five minute walk from the central train station. It was a great location for touring Amsterdam. The family room was a little small, but doable. The continental breakfast was great. After we checked out, they stored our bags in a secure room. If we were to visit Amsterdam again, we would consider staying here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This is the worst hotel I've ever been. The room was not clean, the air conditioning was not working and the noise of the tram, all the night , was terrible. And we had to pay for in advance.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JuFalk
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Great hotel. Loved the atmosphere. Very old-world. Distinctive. Have stayed in Amsterdam 3x in the last 6 months, and this has been my favorite hotel. One exception to the excellence.... there was a front-desk attendant on one night-shift who was a total jerk. For 3 days, I was getting coffee from the lobby coffee machine, and the only thing that I ever got from the staff was warm smiles. Then, one night, I went to get a coffee (as I did for the past 3 days), and this jerk attacked me insisting that I give him 2 euro on the spot. This was petty. The 2 euro was insignificant, it was just the gross unprofessionalism and offensiveness that this guy behaved with. I payed almost $1000 usd for a hotel stay. Maybe the guy could have let the cup of coffee slide. Or let me know next time he'll have to charge me. Even asking for the 2 euro in a non-aggressive way would have been ok. Instead he went into total attack mode, and got in my face over a petty cup of coffee. This guy is a liability to this Hotel. If they fired him, they would have a better operation. When I first saw him, I thought it was a homeless tramp warming up in the lobby. Then he started this nonsense. He was a small Asian man. The rest of the staff was exemplary.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple