Hotel Prins Hendrik
  • Restaurant
Hotel CC(Amsterdam)
Hotel Neutraal(Amsterdam)
  • Free Internet
All reviewschet bakercentral stationthe red light districtgreat locationbreakfast was includedcold meatsmain buildingbuffet stylenoisy at nighthotel barspacious roomboiled eggsfew minutes walkreception staffdam squareyogurtannex
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my seventh visit to Amsterdam in twenty years, & Prins Hendrik was definitely my favourite hotel. I stayed here with twelve friends on a stag party for three nights, all our rooms were very clean & spacious. Staff were friendly & very helpful. Breakfast was very nice too.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Ajax95
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Very good Hotel and worth its 3 stars. The room for 4 was excellent,on suite bathroom, plenty of storage and space to sit and enjoy the view of Amsterdam going by. The satff were very freindly and helpfull and there was plenty of choice at breakfast, We arrived early and were able to leave our bags while we went out and about and when we were leaving we could leave our bags till later Could not fault it.

Room Tip: 4 of us in room 101
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tedwards10
Reviewed 3 May 2014

First something very important. I would suggest if you are carrying any quantity of luggage beyond a small handbag that you ask to see your room before parting with your cash. Mrs Jeff and I and our two friends were allocated rooms in two different buildings. Our friends were in an annexe adjacent to the main hotel; we were allocated a room in a building in the next street. We were on the third floor up an almost spiral staircase. Our friends were on the fourth floor up a spiral staircase so narrow that it was almost impossible to get even a small suitcase up it. Nowhere that I could see among the hotel information did it say you may need the help of a Sherpa to get your luggage to your room and we asked for rooms on a high floor because a city centre hotel will inevitably involve some traffic and general street noise. Having booked six months previously we felt very disappointed to be allocated such unsuitable rooms and to be told that no others were available. It spoilt our break because we could not visit each other in our rooms during our stay.

Next, the Prins Hendrik is ideally located for Amsterdam Central railway station, just five minutes walk across the canal. Unfortunately it is also adjacent to the beginning of the Red Light district. This in itself is no great problem - indeed the Red Light District itself is no problem. Where the trouble lies is that patrons of the bars and clubs that open into wee small hours in that area tend to congregate on the corner outside the hotel on their way home. Their congregations (which seem to occur regularly just as you have dozed back off to sleeo between about 2am to 5am) can be very noisy and even on a high floor can be very disturbing.

The rooms - our room was spacious but in need of a little TLC. However the bathroom had been recently refurbished. It was reasonably clean. However, it had no drawer space whatsoever and only a tiny wardrobe about 18 inches wide. We only went to our friends’ room once (to know why see above!). Theirs was a loft room intersected with beams with little view. We had flat screen TVs that had BBC1, 2 and 3 among the options.

Breakfast was a reasonable continental style buffet though the serving areas could get a little cramped at busy times. The hotel has a nice restaurant. We ate there once during our stay and the food was very good and the service excellent. The small bar was very inviting and well run. All the staff, particularly those in the bar and restaurant, were very friendly and helpful.

In summary, if you like a good night’s sleep this is not the place for you. But the biggest drawback of all is access to the rooms in the outbuildings. In my view they are not suitable for use as hotel rooms at all and I shudder to think what would happen in those buildings in the event of a fire. The only way out was via the tiny staircases and in the UK I’m quite sure they would not be granted a fire certificate.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms away from the main building
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jeffthejudge
Reviewed 2 May 2014

this hotel is very close to the railway station but it definitely is a rickety thing which had character but had seen better days. however,it was very clean and serviceable. the decor is old and tired but i didn't particlaurly care as i only wanted a place to put my head down for the night before catching a train to frankfurt.
for me it was the staff that made this hotel. i felt very at home and was very impressed with the choice and quality of food. i didn't have breakfast although it was included as my train left early although they did do me something to go which was welcome.
the room and bathroom were clean with fresh linen and towels.
if your expectations aren't high in terms of decor then you will like the flexibility of this 24 hr hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Went here with a group of friends and the hotel was exactly what we needed. Location could not have been any better, directly across for Amsterdam central station.The rooms where spacious and they had a continental breakfast which was sufficient and set you up for a day of sightseeing. I would stay here again if I was returning on a budget.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends