“We'll be back again”

Hotel Prins Hendrik
Ranked #211 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Friendly staff, excellent service, good food and good beer. Location is excellent - just 5 mins from Central Station with canal boat bus stops and tourist office close by. Great place to stay. We'll be back!

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Stephen T
There are newer reviews for Hotel Prins Hendrik

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location for a visit to Amsterdam. Buses, trams and metro are all within a short walking distance.
The reception staff are always very friendly and exceptionally helpful you just need to ask.
Breakfast is self service, eat as much or as little as you wish. There is always a brilliant selection of food and drinks. Our room on the second floor (lift if you need it) was roomy, comfortable and spotlessly clean. If I had to find fault it would be that I would like tea/coffee making facilities in the room so we could make a drink first thing in the morning.

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Hazel D
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were a group of 6 ladies, staying for the night for my surprise birthday treat ! so my friends booked it for me- great location and the breakfast was good, lots of choice- the rooms are a little shabby but nothing major just needs a little updating, sheets clean as was the bathroom which had liquid soap supplied, they will also give you a hairdryer upon arrival if you need it ! but.....the big but we had rooms in the building next door...32 I think and to get to it is a very small, very vertical spiral staircase- you can only get 2 at a time in the door- then you have to wait until they are on the staircase before attempting to climb it....good exercise but a little difficult with a suitcase, and forget it if you don't like heights ! otherwise a great little hotel !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location of the hotel is good in comparison to the train station and the local attractions.

We traveled in two couples and our room was across the street but part of the hotel. The room was very big and would be ample size for a longer stay than we did of one night.

The room was somewhat dated but did not affect the stay. The staff are extremely friendly and we would definitely stay here again and plan to later in the year.

Room Tip: Try and get the room upgraded to an executive suite!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed from Friday 9th 'til Monday 12th May at Amsterdam with 3 other people for my sister's 21st. I mainly picked this hotel because of it's closeness to Centraal Station. We all arrived there about 11pm but the hotel has a 24 hour desk which is perfect. There were some trouble checking in, but it was due to the third party (Thomas Cook) messing up and not the hotel. The gentleman at the desk tried his best to help us and let us check in because we had some paperwork that Thomas Cook gave us but they did not give us the one the hotel needed (vouchers or something).

We went straight up to the 3rd floor and was really happy with our room and the really nice view. The room held 4 single beds (the middle 2 pushed together which was perfect because two of our group is a couple). The massive window can open to a nice breeze and a beautiful scenery. We did hear quite a bit of noise in the day even with window shut, but it did not bother us at all. We all slept peacefully in our beds with no problems. The beds were comfy and despite me worrying that the pillows were quite small, it was still very comfortable. The maids came in every day in our 4 day stay, to clean up our little mess (sorry! It was my sister's birthday!) and changed our beds and towels which was lovely. The bathroom has a soap squeeze bottle and a shampoo/body shower lotion ready (in case anyone forgot theirs). It also comes with paper towels, cups (I assume for washing mouths), shoeshines, and shower caps.

We got up everyday bright and early (despite us going out nearly every night) and took advantage of the free breakfast! It wasn't the best food I've had of course but it was pretty brilliant. On the weekend, the breakfast buffet opened at 8.00am and it opens 7.30am on weekdays. Unsure about finishing times but it is roughly around 10.00am.
There was a nice buffet spread that consisted of soft white/brown breads, decent- sized croissants, fruits, jams for toast/bread, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs (not runny), baked beans, selection of meats, cereals, fruit teas, coffee, fruit juices (orange, apple, cranberry), two types of butters, cheese, and that's all I can think of. If you're a Vegetarian like me, you won't need to worry but you kind of have to like eggs because if you were a vegan (or dislike eggs), there's nothing much to have other than bread or fruits. I'm a big fan of eggs so I had scrambled eggs on toast or mixed with beans or boiled egg in sandwich etc. To toast your bread, you can slide them in the grill machine (next to the breads) and it will automatically move it and toast it for you then pop it out in the bottom. Scrambled eggs and beans are situated in a hot warming machine on the left top side of the kitchen room (it took me a while to find them!). Moreover, It took me 2 days to realise there was a boiled egg warming machine situated on the far right corner of the room (next to toaster)! I would prefer it was slightly runny but I did not mind nonetheless. Overall, it was easily filling, lovely breakfasts (but I would not pay for it if we ever had to).

We went to the hotel bar next door on a Sunday evening and found the bar man very friendly and even gave us 10% discount because it was my sister's 21st birthday. The drinks there were expensive as we asked for Jagerbombs and he had to leave to ask someone else how much and he then said it was 7.50 euros each! (In England, you can get 3 jagerbombs for £5). However, I did not mind because after all, this was Holland, a different country! We asked for 4 Sambuccas in the end which totalled up to 20 euros. It tasted strong, not watered down and the nice bar man even lighted it up for my sister which was funny.

Overall, the room was spacious and nice, the location was spot on- opposite Centraal station and within easy reach to all the shops, bars, restaurants! The staff were very friendly (and deaf-aware as we all are deaf) and one of them even had banter with us because we kept forgetting our room number and that gentleman kept laughing and talking about it. Also he was friendly asking where we were going and even saved me once as I told him we were going to Anne Frank Huis and he asked if I had printed the tickets in advance and I said I did but then remembered I left it upstairs!!
I very much enjoyed my trip to Amsterdam and if I ever come back again (I really do want to), I will choose this hotel without a doubt.

Interesting trivia for music lovers: in Room 210, Chet Baker (famous jazz player) died in 1988 jumping out the window in this hotel. There is a plague situated somewhere on the hotel!

Room Tip: 3rd floor may be noisy for those who wants a bit of peace but has a lovely view from the window.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RosiePosieTosie
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Situated right across from the train station and the docks for all the canal boat lines; there are a dozen excellent pubs located within a few blocks. The desk staff were always helpful and cheerful. The room and bathroom were very spacious by European standards. Excellent water pressure at all times. Breakfast was good. Off the lobby is a cozy bar in the typical Dutch brown wood-paneled style (I love hotel bars!). Probably not a good choice if traveling with kids due to the proximity of some serious Amsterdam funk. I would be glad to stay at this hotel again if I am fortunate enough to return to this amazing city.

1  Thank NinthCircle
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my seventh visit to Amsterdam in twenty years, & Prins Hendrik was definitely my favourite hotel. I stayed here with twelve friends on a stag party for three nights, all our rooms were very clean & spacious. Staff were friendly & very helpful. Breakfast was very nice too.

• Stayed: April 2014