“good location”

Ranked #203 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
wigan
“good location”
Reviewed 16 April 2007

This hotel is in a great location just across from central station.
The double room was quite small and nothing like the picture provided by the hotel (why do hotels do this, if they show a picture of a huge fancy room and then give you a small standard room you will feel a little disapointed) but the room was very clean which can sometimes be a concern in Amsterdam, the bed was comfortable, the shower was hot.
This isn't the hotels fault but there was huge building works going on across from the back of the hotel, across from our room, this started at about 7.30am and was very noisy The hotel could have warned us about this. We didn't complain as we were only there for two nights but I think it would have been a problem had we been staying any longer.
The staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandymoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff
Reviewed 13 March 2007

Chosen for its location which was excellent.
Single room was very small. The shower room/toilet provided a new experience :- to shave or wash you had to stand in the shower which was immediately in front of the wash basin. Nowhere to hang wet towels
The room like many others fronted the street and the noise was troublesome throughout the 3 nights I stayed.
The breakfasts were quite good.
One of the reception staff was rude but the others were pleasant.
Had I not prepaid, I would have left this hotel either on arrival after inspecting the room or certainly after the first nights noise.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Having to stand in the shower to shave and noise
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank Cantonian

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2007

This was a pretty standard 3* hotel. I would probably give it a 2 1/2 though, as I don't think it takes much to make a hotel a little above average (regardless of stars)

Rooms were average. Nothing to complain about, but nothing that made it stand out. Nowhere to hang towels which was annoying when they are wet! Beds were okay. One receptionist was consistenantly rude though the others were generally helpful & smiley.

Breakfast was okay - cold meats & cheeses, bread/rolls, orange juice, scrambled eggs & beans - tea & coffee.

Good location, as directly behind you is the red light district/china town though not the prettiest of areas (overlooking central station). Easy to orientate yourself around the city from here.

After the bathroom light had been on for more than about 90 seconds it would start whirring REALLY loud - very very annoying. Every time we were going to mention it it was the rude man on the desk & so (our own fault) we never reported this!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank WeezeNmD
Dublin
Reviewed 16 February 2007

A large group of us were in Amsterdam for a stag last weekend and stayed in this hotel. We could not have made a better choice. Arriving late with a group of thirsty lads, it was important to get checked in, and out on the town as quickly as possible. The hotel is right across the road from Centraal station and we spotted it straight away. We were all checked in within about fifteen minutes and ready to hit the pubs.

Again we found ourselves in the perfect position, with the hotel just around the corner from the RLD where a lot of the pubs and coffee shops are located. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from Dam square and very close to trams and taxis to explore the city further, should you feel the inclination.

We booked both twin and triple rooms and all were clean and very spacious. One of the twins (324) was in the annex and was more like an apartment with its own kitchen (minus a fridge). All of the rooms had a table and seating area, a TV with BBC as well as local channels, and some radio stations.

Unfortunately I can’t comment on the breakfast as I never made it, but I have been informed by other members of the group that it was good. The bar adjoining the hotel is a traditional Dutch ‘brown bar’ and was perfect for an ice cold beer in the afternoon.

I found that the staff were excellent, and were available to answer any queries before, during and after our stay there.

After a quick poll of the group, some minor complaints were:
- Only one key card per room – awkward if you arrive home at different times.
- The hotel bar closed fairly early and was not available for residents after hours. (Not a major issue as there are many bars within two minutes walk.)
- The check out time of 11am is too early – 12 would be better.

Overall I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anybody heading to Amsterdam in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — One key card per room
  • Stayed February 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank DubNiall
Blackpool
Reviewed 12 February 2007

The hotel is located in an ideal place. Good food, helpful staff and very spacious room. It was quite noisy at night times but this is understandable considering the hotel is right on the edge of the red light district. Would recommend!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank lancsladnorthwest
groningen
Reviewed 20 January 2007

January 18th 2007
I was trapped by a big storm in Amsterdam and could not leave the city anymore. I was not the only one. Many people were looking for a hotel. So was I. I was lucky to find shelter in Hotel Prins Hendrik, just opposite the central railwaystation.
The persons in charge were friendly and helpful. The room was extremely pleasant, spacious and tidy, with a perfect view on a beautiful spot of Amsterdam. Nevertheless the room was quiet.
I enjoyed my stay and will certainly return!
Anja van Berkum, The Netherlands

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank johannesGroningen
Derbyshire
Reviewed 8 November 2006

I have never been to Amsterdam before & researched & asked many questions on Trip Adviser before coming to Amsterdam. Prins Hendrik was recommended to me.

We arrived later than expected due to a delayed flight & also we got on the wrong train from the Airport to Central Station. (Therefore didn;t arrive till after 11pm) Prins Hendrik is literaclly a 5 minute walk from Central Station & very easy to find.

When I first saw the hotel, I thought it would be very noisy, but far from it, there was no noise at all. Mattijs greeted us in reception & advised us on where to go straight away if we fancied going out. Which we did.

The hotel room was huge, very spacious with plenty of storage space in the room for our belongings. The beds were very comfortable with very large comfy pillows.

Breakfast is served in the morning until 10am. There was a good choice for a continental breakfast, fortunately I bought some Tetley teabags with me, as I didn't like the tea, but that is just my taste.

The hotel is fantastically situated near everything you would want to do & see.

When I arrived at the hotel, I mentioned that the hotel was recommended to me from someone from TripAdviser & Mattijs made us most welcome, searched on the internet for restaurants for us, advised on the best places to go, it was a very nice personal touch.

I can't wait to re-vist Amsterdam, but will only stay at Prins Hendrik.

The best hotel, with the best Service & the Best reception staff - Sante (Cheers) Mattijs. x x x

• Liked — Friendly, personal touches, helpfulness, spacious clean room, comfortable bed & Mattijs!!!
  • Disliked — Loved everything
  • Tips/Secrets — If you like your English cuppa in the morning, bring a few tea bags with you
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank Cherry1