“AVOID THIS HOSTEL!!!”
Review of Leidseplein Hostel

Leidseplein Hostel
Ranked #345 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for 1 night and thank goodness that was all. The hostel was in good location but that is the only good part. The staff were very rude, extremely unhelpful and the rooms were a disgrace. Our toilet had a mouldy whole in the roof and we had no lights in our room. We asked for the lights to be fixed and were accused of being ridiculous. There was a horrible atmosphere in the hostel and the wifi would hardly connect. Out of a total of 8 hostels stayed in, this is by far the worst. I definitely do not recommend this dump!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank NicolaLaing130292
There are newer reviews for Leidseplein Hostel

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Unclean, hole in ceiling, no lights in the room! The wifi would barely connect and the stairs within the hostel were dangerously steep!

after speaking to staff we were told that we were "ridiculous to think there was no lights in the room" for them to then confirm we were intact right and then fail to correct this.
Out of all hostels stayed in throughout a three week trip this was by far the worst we had seen and staff were very unhelpful

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I went here for my birthday on Friday and I just came back earlier today and I've been practically dying to come onto Trip Advisor and to write a review on this TERRIBLE hostel. I've never written a review on this type of thing ever and I never have wanted to but I've decided to write this so that I can help people in advance before they think of coming here.
When I first booked it, i knew it was a hostel and I wasn't looking for it to be extremely nice or anything. As long as it was clean etc then It would be fine, just the basic necessities really.
It was four of us girls in our 20's and we had already missed our flight to get to Amsterdam so we slept at the airport and then caught the next plane in the morning. We were already tired and distressed and was looking forward to getting to our hostel.
The location is great but when we arrived to the desk, the man said "what do you want" he was soooooooo rude, i can't even put it into words. The customer service was atrocious and I was so so shocked then i couldn't even speak (I practically numbed up with rage)
He kept getting phone calls and would constantly ignore us in front of our face and we had to repeat at least 5 times what we wanted. He didn't speak to us until half an hour later!
It turned into a bit of an argument and then the manager started shouting at us and being really disrespectful to all us girls. He even came out behind the desk at one point and raised his hand to my cousin. He wasn't professional at all and he didn't listen to us one bit, we couldn't get a word in edgeways.
I would never lie about how bad something is but this was appalling to say the least.
Also a man lost his laptop that he had left with staff and nobody including the staff were trying to help him find it so clearly you can't even trust the staff.
I work in the Catering Industry and I can tell you that customer service is so important, having it can make all the difference.
The place was very dirty with sticky tables that looked like they haven't been cleaned from breakfast or whenever. Personally I would of rather slept in the park to be honest. I didn't want to be somewhere like that and where we are not wanted.
I already paid a lot of money for us to stay there before hand when i booked through the website and they wanted extra money and have taken out more then I should be paying.
They ripped me off and are trying to trick people!
It was so bad that we just told them to keep the money and we ended up staying somewhere else so we wasted nearly a whole day trying to look for another place to sleep because we had to find one in the last minute as we never booked anything else. We were so stressed out carrying our luggage's everywhere!
They really treated us like crap and I'm happy we didn't end up staying there. He also said that if we say in the hostel, that he would put the prices up. What a Jerk!!
There's lots of other hostels or hotels around so don't just settle for this one. Downtown hostel is good and Meeting point which there both in the city center's and are great for having a good time and meeting people.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 773gabriella773
Reviewed 3 June 2013

If you want a BAD experience then this is the place for you!
Don't waste your money. If I could do my time over, I would rather sleep in the street of Amsterdam. I will list the bad things about this hostel.
First of all staff made us wait 2 hours to check in.
Would not accept that we changed our booking a week earlier and made us pay the full amount.
It is expensive
You will not sleep till 6am as it is above a nightclub
Beds were unformfortable and gave me bed bugs
Bathrooms were rarely cleaned
There is a cat that lives in the building and tries to eat your food
It had the steepest staircase in the world, it compares to Everest (trust me, I've climbed it)
The place smelt like your grandmothers underwear!
Your valuables will not be safe, staff are not trust worthy

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed as part of a group of 12 in room 4

Great location, however that where it ends. I've not stayed in many hostels but was looking forward to the promises that were displayed on their website. I quote.... "As far as location goes, it’s the best one in the entire city. The same goes for cleanliness, we are committed to being one of the cleanest hostels in Amsterdam."

Cleanliness... well curtains were barely on the rails, dust and dirt under the beds, half the lamps not working in the room or the bathroom. Bathroom had 2 used towels hanging up and a pair of underwear left by the previous tenant. The Fan wasn't working in the shower room which had the paint falling off the ceiling from all the mould that had formed. Needless to say we wanted to beat to death the friend who booked the room.

Breakfast... well tea/coffee and a slice of bread.

For the money... over 1000 euros total for 2 nights it was a rip off. Charge 5 euros and I'll not complain. To have a clean room isn't difficult and should be address as should maintenance.

Oh.. night club directly below goes on until 5 am, so make sure you join in as the room isn't worth staying in.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back should be quieter and the higher up the better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank James W
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This hostel is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. At 45euros a person for a 12 bed, it is an expensive dump. Obviously, as it was a city hostel, with a great location we were not expecting amazing facilities but this was well and truly taking the biscuit.
The room: dirty, tiny tiny beds, questionably clean linen. Bathroom was just a quick job with bits and pieces found at the junk yard, again, had it been clean, it would have been acceptable.
The included (not free) breakfast: haha! Bread and jam/peanut butter. Oh and don't bother rooting around for the toaster, it doesn't exist.
The staff: extremely rude, very unhelpful and all business business (cash payments only...mmmmh), take no pride or pleasure in what they do.
The communal areas: again, awful - resembled a teenagers garage den.
Don't stay here. At the price we paid we could have got a guesthouse, but we have always preferred to stay in hostels because of the fun atmosphere -
This pit makes a sunken tent at Glastonbury look appealing.
I never really write reviews and generally have a high tolerance for basic accommodation but this place is just... Save yourselves, don't stay here

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Pocahontas_0
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Staff were really nice. Rooms were horrible. Toilets were awful. Windows were broke so we couldn't shut out the Techno club/cafe noise that was blaring till 4/5am, then the people coming out n shouting etc
Good location for food, clubs, cafes etc
12 lads Stag Do