“HEM Hotel Maas - great location but...”
Review of Maas Hotel

Maas Hotel
Maas Hotel
Ranked #277 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
A TripAdvisor Member
“HEM Hotel Maas - great location but...”
Reviewed 8 April 2005

I spent three nights in the HEM Hotel Maas in early April with my family (including one teen and one pre-teen) so we had a room for four. The hotel is in a great location, close to museums, canal boat rides, and the Leidseplein district, with hundreds of restaurants and lots of activity and colour. The hotel has very steep stairs up to reception and then more steep stairs either up or down to the rooms (there is a lift). Ok for kids but not too good if the knees are a bit creaky. We were given a room with four single beds, all of which were very narrow and not very comfortable. The room really isn't big enough for so many people, though we did have a window to the outside world (no view just a brick wall but at least there was daylight). At over €500 for the three nights, the hotel was expensive for such a basic room, then there was a community tax of €11 per night (not mentioned in the booking) and if you drive a car you will need to pay €27 per day to use a parking station nearby. The bathroom was clean and modern. The staff were very firendly and helpful. If the room was more like €135 per night for four people, it would be pretty good value, given its location.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 5 November 2004

We where in hotel maas for our honey moon, the staff is excellent, very helpfull and very kind. What is better then to stay in amsterdam in a canal house. The view is fantastic, breakfast served in the room, the staff guides you to places in amsterdam where the locals go ( good food !!!!).
at first we where i bit scared after reading the reviews below.
But i must realy say that hotel maas is a treat and that the people below are crazy !!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 September 2004

The reviews here seem to be very mixed but my personal experience of the Maas was very good.
There were three of us sharing and when we reached our room, we all thought that it was a bit cramped.
However it was also very clean. The next morning we all agreed that we had all slept very well; the beds are very comfortable!
The bathroom was spotless and the shower was really strong - great for that really clean feeling.
The Hotel Maas is located near Leidseplein. This is a lively area full of bars and restaurants and a great place to sit and watch the world go by.

We were a short walk to the Museumplein with the Van Gogh and Rembrandt museums. In the other direction we were very close to Kalverstraat, one of the main shopping areas. Also we were close to Rembrandtplein etc.
Some of my friends were staying at the top of Damrak and while they were close to some areas, they were fairly distant from the museums.

The staff were very helpful and organised a taxi for us to the airport on our last day.
Overall I would recommend the Maas if you are looking for a reasonable central place to stay in Amsterdam. If you are looking for luxury or a very romantic setting then i think this is not the place for you.

5 Thank gazzawaz
FARNBOROUGH, HAMPSHIRE
Reviewed 21 September 2004

Hotel Maas is right by the Leidesplein, next door to the Crowne Plaza Hotel American i.e. terrific location right by huge choice of restaurants, bars, shopping, museums etc. And the canal bus stops right outside, with tram stops just around the corner. Location really is THE best thing about this hotel, so it is surprising that the hotel literature does not mention this. Near vertical steps lead from the street to reception, but there is a lift to the other floors once you have managed to get up them. Make sure you get a canal view room - some of the others don't even have windows at all. We got an upgraded room for the first two nights of our 3 night stay as our choice was not available (we booked a canal view room with waterbed). The room was on the top floor, and was OK, shame the jacuzzi (the upgraded bit!) did not work though. When we moved for the last night we were expected to move ourselves(!), and the room we got was clean enough but very small. And it reeked of the previous occupants smoke so we were grateful for that window.......and no water bed either, but the bed supplied was comfortable enough. The 3 night stay cost 405 euros, and whilst the hotel was OK, next time for a comparative cost of 504 euros plus 5% city tax I would definitely consider the American hotel next door.

7 Thank Frances_Milner

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed 23 August 2004

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in Europe. Mosquitos in room, blood stains (of dead mosquitos) all of over the walls and blocked sinks.

We must have got the dungeon room - because i cant see how anyone could give this the thumbs up...

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2004

When in Amsterdan stay at The Hotel Mass. A great room, beds a bit small, but clean. Clean bathroom, rooms for groups of 3. Close to everything, great rates, good staff, very safe hotel. Try not to be on the top floor with a shared bath. But ENJOY, you will be back!!!

• Stayed January 2005
Bonn, Germany
Reviewed 13 July 2004

A year ago I booked this hotel. I booked it well in advance for a 3 nights' stay because of its location at Leidseplein and convenience of travelling to my meetings. In fact I've pre-paid the whole cost about 10 days in advance. The room price was around €90 / night.

When i walked into my room, i was sure there had been some mistake and the room was a storage - it was the size of an elevator and it had no windows whatsoever! Not even enough place to put a suitcase. So i went down to talk to the clerk. I was told that they had an overbooking and this was the only thing they could offer me. Not only that but they actually wanted to charge the same price for it. Following a very lengthy debate I was given a regular room (aparently available) but for 1 night only. Even though i have pre-paid the whole cost - they would move me out of the room! Nobody so far was able to explain the logic of this to me.

Well, they did offer me to book me into their other hotel - but that one was somewehere across the city, and i was loosing all the advantages of the location.

My request of helping me to find a room at any of the nearby hotels received a shrug and no help at all. The only thing i managed to get was a reimbursement of the 2 other pre-paid nights.

I walked around the district for a hour early the next morning and found a tiny, simple but very friendly hotel nearby.

Not surprisingly, "Maas" is certainly one place i am not returning to.

7 Thank m2r2o