“Avoid it !”

Ranked #349 of 369 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ploiesti, Prahova, Romania
“Avoid it !”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

It was extremely horrible ! I arrived at 1 o'clock with my husband and our 14-year-old granddaughter and, as was written in the contract, we were supposed to check in starting with 12 pm. The check out was at maximum 11 pm, so we were sure that the room was already ready for us. Unfortunately, the girl on the front desk - who didn`t even welcomed us properly ( she could at least have smiled ) - told us we have to wait around an hour for the room. We didn`t mind at first, thinking we can look around for a bit. Sadly, there was NOTHING we could do around there. There wasn`t even a park with benches to sit on - it was the middle of nowhere... literary ! After half an hour of walking outside without a purpose, we came back in and sat on one of the couches ( the other one was occupied by a huge teddy bear ). As we were waiting, we saw who was cleaning the rooms - a girl that was sooo lazy and seemed so tired of life and a man that was carrying a broomstick around. It was already 2 o'clock, but we had to wait another 15 minutes. We were happy that we finally could get into the room, but as we stepped in, we were horrified - the room was extremely small and the bed sheets had dirt spots on them. The bathroom was small as well, you could barely move in it. The shower looked extremely old and we had a problem with the sink, that someone had to come and fix it quickly. As we were already disappointed, we wanted to open the window - it was a kinda hot day. SHOCK ! There was no way you could open any window. There was a huge window, that didn`t had any manners. We couldn`t believe this ! They gave us an extremely small air-conditioner on the table that did nothing, but make the dust fly. We had to keep it working and the door opened, because as we were staying in after 9 pm, we couldn`t possibly breath. We had to keep the air-conditioner on the whole night. The breakfast was acceptable, but the forks weren`t too clean. The milk tasted weird and the so-called ' fruit juices ' were tasteless. There were some average thing that could have been eaten, but not too many.
The staff there were kind of rude and were walking around pointlessly. My granddaughter asked them where she could get something and they only pointed at something and when she asked where exactly, they look so sic-tired.

AVOID THIS HOTEL ! Better go camping on the sidewalk - even this would be more enjoyable. Our luck we only stayed 2 nights.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I also agree with the previous review - this hotel isn't half as bad as some of these reviews make out.

The girl on the front desk greeted me with a friendly smile. There is no lift, but they never say there is so this shouldn't be a surprise. The room was a bit threadbare and not entirely clean but it was perfectly ok for me and the price was good.

Would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't go for the higher floors!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Lots of poor reviews on here but I stayed last night and I liked it. I had a reservation at a different hotel but for some reason it got cancelled and I had to find another with 3 days notice - not that easy for a Saturday night in the middle of summer in Amsterdam! This was the cheapest I could find and after reading the reviews I was expecting a nightmare of a night but I was pleasantly surprised.

The location is fine. Yes it is out of town a little but I don't know why people complain about that, it shouldn't come as any surprise. It's handy for the Vondelpark though which is lovely and there's a tram stop right outside with a direct route to the city centre. When I checked in the receptionist was lovely, really pleasant and helpful. There's no lift but so what - if you need a lift to get to the first floor then you should really do some exercise. The room has clearly seen better days, a bit "tired" as they say. But the TV worked, the room was clean, the bathroom was fine and the shower excellent.

As long as you don't expect a 5* hotel then I think this place is fine. I'd certainly have no qualms about staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Roberts1970
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed in a 'quad' room with three other guys as part of a stag weekend in Amsterdam. I didn't make the booking myself but we paid around €140 a night for the luxury of staying at Hotel Belfort.

We took a taxi ride from the airport to the hotel (should cost you around €35 but ask before you get in a taxi) which took us to the hotel. For those of you wishing to use public transport, you can get a train to Amsterdam centre and then get a tram (1 or 17, €2.70 for a one hour transferable ticket) to the station Surinameplein, which is literally around the corner from the hotel. The number 1 tram is the quicker of the two and should take around 10-15 minutes.

The facade is a very dated, looked as though I was in the 70s and not much had been updated since then. The reception area was small, but clean enough.

Our room (115) was located nearby the reception in the corner of the hotel. The 'quad' room was basically a double room with a couple of beds thrown in their to justify their expense. The ceiling tiles broken and some where in need of repair. The bathroom was small, falling apart although the shower was surprisingly powerful and pleasant. The television reception was awful and the room suffered from being very stuffy. A fan was supplied but was also broken as it did not rotate.

The hotel is a fair walk away from the main attractions and bars in the city centre. It is about a 25-30 minute walk into town via Overtoom (although you could walk by the beautiful adjacent park if you're not rushed for time). You can also get a tram into town.

As part of a stag party, I had low expectations for Hotel Belfort, but would not recommend staying here unless you were really struggling to find alternative accommodation. I would recommend a decent hostel, or finding something a little better than this for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank humbano

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stay one night in this hotel,but i wont book it again,because de bathroom was not clean.When you toke a shower the water was not floated away so you stand in de dirty water.The lamps where not working en de tv was terribale.The breakfast was also terribal,the bread was ferry dry en der was not a much to make a schois of.Als were the drinking cups and glasses not clean.And de staff had not much yoi to doe things.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank H.A. E
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Myself and three friends stayed at the belfort for three nights at the end of april 2012. All aged between 22 and 24.

The hotel itself was basic but clean. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The location was a bit far away from the city centre and on a busy main road. So it doesnt exactly have nice scenery.
However the road is well served by trams and buses that come every two minutes. Very easy to get in and out of the city using the trams.

If your looking for a cultured, perfect hotel then this is not the place for you but of your looking for somewhere to put your head down at the end of the night then this place is fine.

• Stayed April 2012