“Lovely Boutique Hotel”

Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia
Ranked #117 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay here. The delightful staff went out of their way to help us. The charming neighborhood had lots of fine places to eat, with parks and wonderful small grocery stores nearby. We look forward to returning someday!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan M

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed for just a few nights and thoroughly enjoyed every moment spent there. Our room was gorgeous and very adequate for our family with beds for the kids and lots of space for reading and resting. The bathroom was very tasteful, nice soft towels and deep bath. Our breakfast was simple but very satisfying with a good supply of cereals, yoghurts and croissants as well as fruit and bread. The hotel is a perfect location, just outside the city centre but in walking distance to all attractions, including the Van Gogh gallery and national museum. We could have happily stayed here for weeks.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Cate J
ManagementMagnolia, Eigenaar at Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Cate & family, look forward to welcome you back for weeks! Happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Overall we were very happy with this hotel. Wonderful welcome and great staff. Granted the girl at the desk on the second day was slightly less helpful, but still very pleasant. Good location. Fairly close to museumplein and leidsplein. We walked it quite easily (and all the way in the red light district). But we are walkers, it is a fairly decent walk, but very manageable. Really easy options on public transport to get to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Po2000
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed at a twin bed room, which was narrow, but did it's job. Don't forget there is not so much space in Amsterdam. The room was clean and had all we needed. Staff at the reception was extraordinary friendly and helpful. Would recommend this hotel to everybody who likes to walk a bit and doesn't need to stay in the middle of the all happening areas. Also good for people with cars. The park & ride Olympic stadium and the fashion centre are only few tram stations away. Sunday free parking etc. The hotel itself is small, but very functional, cozy and the lobby/breakfast room feels a bit like home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I needed a single room in a hotel near tram stops as I have difficulty walking. Booked this after I had seen the reviews and found I could get it with the flight on my card points. i had a small well decorated single room overlooking the main street. The tram noise did not bother me but it might bother some. The staff were very helpful when I needed to contact a doctor to arrange for a prescription. The breakfast room is light and airy. I thought the breakfast a touch expensive but it is Amsterdam. If you turn left there is a not very good bar and tram stop. To the right 1 block away are some restaurants and another tram stop, a further block gets you to a good pub / cafe.
TRAVEL TIP. BUS 279? (Can't be sure of my memory on this) From Schipol to the Museumplein then tram 2 will get you almost to the hotel door.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Robert303

Thank you very much for mentioning the bus to your fellow travellers. It is indeed a not very often used option, but a fast and cheap trip. If you are able to walk without any problems you can even get of at The Concertgebouw stop and walk 10 minutes to the hotel.
With respect to the breakfast, it can be prebooked at a discounted rate, for you to know for your next stay!
Glad to read that you enjoyed the room decorations.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I can't say too much about some hotel features, as I arrived at 23:30 and checked out first thing the following morning. The solo room was very nice, had a tv, was clean, comfortable bed and a personal bathroom. The customer service stood out as being very good; the website states that check-in is between 14:00-23:00 and I was unable to get there until 23:30, so I e-mailed them to ask if it would be okay to turn up late and received a reply ten minutes later saying the night porter would be able to stay late for me. The night porter was very polite and helpful even if I did make him stay later than necessary. The location of the hotel was excellent also, a pleasant 15 minute walk or so into the city centre.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was exactly what I was looking for: somewhere inexpensive, conveniently located, clean & nice accomodations, friendly staff. As I was focused on museums for this trip, I started looking for cheap hotels near the museum district, and picked this one. The neighborhood is lovely and quiet, and residential with parks nearby. It may appear fairly far from the center on a map, but as Amsterdam is quite small, it is a very pleasant 35-45 minute walk to the historic center, or a 15 minute tram (stops very close to the hotel) or bike ride, and many key tourist sites (like the Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum) are closer (10 minute walk).

I was traveling alone, and the single room I had was small but met all my needs with a comfortable bed and warm shower with good water pressure. They also had some handy tourist & practical (e.g. where the nearby supermarket is) advice written by the staff that was provided in the room. I was concerned at first because I was arriving late (midnight) and it said that the desk closes at 11 pm, but the night staff were able to let me in and there were no problems. There are only stairs and no elevator, which was no problem for me, but may concern some guests. However, the staff did offer to help with bringing bags up and down the stairs. The breakfast buffet looked a typical pretty good continental breakfast, although I did not try it as I typically just eat a very light breakfast of a coffee & pastry.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

We do indeed always offer to bring the luggage up&down the (typical Amsterdam) stairs we have. Helps us all to keep fit & in shape! :-)

Hope to see you back.