“The Apartment”

Ranked #209 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
North Carolina
“The Apartment”
Reviewed 17 May 2008

Our flat "the apartment" across the street, was awesome. It was clean, large and comfortable and we really liked staying in De Pijp. Bicycle Hotel staff were very nice!! Especially the girl that let us have breakfast when we came down late, we didn't have our clock set properly and we were an hour off! Also, the guy that rented us bikes was so very friendly and most helpful. We liked having free internet too. However, we were scolded for having my friend and her husband stop by to check out our room for all of a half an hour! Also, my husband was scolded and questioned very rudely when he brought my coffee cups back to the main kitchen! Definite buzzkill after a great week, and after we kept our place so neat and clean for the staff.

• Liked — Staying in the apartment
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JJJNorthCarolina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ALASKA
Reviewed 7 February 2008

the hotel was decent ,clean ,comfortable.there was much to see right around the neightborhood,De,Pijp.Cafe Roos,made me feel like home.all was good around the area I,d rate this place excellent . alaska man AMGA

Stayed November 2007
Mexico
Reviewed 30 September 2007

The pros: The hotel is nice, near a Tram Station, a supermaket. and many restaurants. The breakfast is quite decent, and the staff is really nice, in fact they are the best feature of this hotel. You have two computers with internet acces to use for free. Reasonable price in Amsterdam.
The cons: Don't expect any cleaning service while you are in the hotel. I wasn't sure if the sheets were clean or not, I didn't wanted to know but stains are not good in any bed. Stairs are dangerous, but I think it is normal in Amsterdam, Bathroom's plumbery is not very good. You can't use the computers before 8 am or after 11pm.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I am from singapore. I travelled to amsterdam and stayed in bicycle hotel for three days... I like it for its coziness, not noisy as compared to a hostel or backpackers I stayed in London where they are too many backpackers crowding and drinking and making lots of noise

I also appreciate for the free wireless internet where i can bring my laptop to surf net in my own room :) (however please check with bicycle hotel staff cause it only reach a certain level of floors)

IMPORTANT: I loan out a bicycle from them and it somehow disppear or got stolen when I park my bicycle at the central train station (I definitely lock it cause I heard many cases of stolen bicycles)... I reported it to the hotel and they charge me i think for 100 or 150 EURO through credit card for the loss of the bicycle and the most amazing thing is that a few days later (when I returned to London), I got an email from a staff called Marjolein and she mentioned that they have found the bicycle and will not charge me :)... i really appreciate for their honesty and their after service.

It is a hotel that I can trust and will not hesitate to recommend to my friends and if I can go to amsterdam again, will stay in this hotel again...

anyway this hotel i do think it is more ideal for young people, anyway as what other people has mentioned, the staircase is steep... overall with regards to the room... i think it is clean, you are paying for what it is worth, I reckon it is a rate for a third star hotel plus that they already have excellent service... so be realistic about your expectations.

Stayed July 2007
New York
Reviewed 28 May 2007

I really enjoyed my stay in the Bicycle hotel.

The hotelstaff was very cool & helpfull. They told me what the best places were to go out. I had the best party in my life!
Amsterdam is the place to be!

The location was great. A lot of restaurants and pubs on walking distance from the hotel.

My room was clean and very nice (I liked the pictures on the wall...)

I also rent a bicycle. It wasn't easy to ride on, but I enjoyed it so much...

I really recommend you to stay at the Bicycle hotel.

It was great!!!I'm hoping to come back next year...

• Liked — I think the personal contact with the hotel staff and the ability to rent bicycles...
  • Disliked — I just liked it all...sorry
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights at March 2007. After I booked a hotel stuff contacted me by e-mail to ask about my preferences, etc. It was nice communication. My flight had been cancelled and arrived to the hotel one day later. They hold a room for me. Breakfast room was clean, breakfast starts at 8. It contains choices of cereal, coffee, bread, cheese and salami. Each table has a toaster. Breakfast was same every day, so I wish I had some variety. My room was on the 3 floor, it was fun to climb stairs with my bag. Room was small, with 2 twin beds, table, shelf, TV, and a sink. Shower and toilet were at the hall. I can say it was pretty clean for this class of hotel. Location was good for me. Tram N 25 has a stop around the corner, other trams stop in 2-3 blocks. A supermarket is nearby, and a set of cafes and small restaurants. Hotel has a set of travel books and stuff happy to give you an advice. Breakfast room has 2 computes with free internet access. Overall I liked my stay. I don’t spend a lot of time in hotel, so I prefer small and cheap places just to spend a night there.

• Liked — easy access to main tourist areas
  • Disliked — Cheap and have breakfast + internet
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Tatiana I
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2007

Stayed here last year 2006 and as a professional who stays at 5 star hotels through my work all over the world Im used too staying at some of the best hotels in the world,
however for what you pay for at the Bicycle Hotel I REALLY CANT UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING about this hotel.
It was in a nice quiet residential part of Amsterdam, so really quiet in the mornings ie no traffic or trams going by your window every 5 mins which is a big problem in a lot of hotels in amsterdam.
Its a couple on mins walk to the nearest tram which takes 5 - 10 mins I guess to dam square and the red light area, about the same for the Liedersplein as well.
You can rent bikes off the hotel which is great when your drunk, BE CAREFULL NOT TOO LOOSE YOUR BIKE OR HAVE IT STOLEN AS YOU PAY THE HOTEL THE FULL ASKING PRICE FOR THE BIKE, trust me the bikes aint worth that much but you do get warned that your liable for the bikes if their stolen or lost, they provide you with 2 locks big enough to lock a motor bike up with, (We did have a problem remembering where we left our bikes after a night on the beer mind you).

The rooms

Nothing too shout about
But also nothing to complain about either,
Clean tidy, nice enough bed, Shower, after all you only want somewhere to get your head down and have a lie in when you have a hangover.
The stairs are steep,
But show me an old hotel in Amsterdam that does not have steep stairs and small rooms,
This is amsterdam they all have steep stairs and small rooms unless you pay for a swish modern hotel like the Marriot/Hilton etc.

Conclusion
Perfect for what you pay NO COMPLAINTS FROM ME

• Liked — Friendliness Cleanliness Price & location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank RoyPartington