“Nice simple clean”
Review of Prinsenhof

Prinsenhof
Ranked #53 of 343 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed here for €89 for 2 people including breakfast. It was a pleasant stay with a clean room right in the heart of Amsterdam on the 'nicer' half of the city. There was no tv in the room or toiletries provided but for the price in Amsterdam it was good value and the people were friendly. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Not suitable for wheelchair users, lots of very steep stairs!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travel123003

Reviewed 20 September 2011

A lovely canal building with cafes and bars in the nieghborhood. The staff were quite nice, the breakfast is awesome, especially with classical music. Lots of hip European youngsters going to nearby bars, and canal boats passing by with pulsating Euro-trash techno can be bothersome at night. The steep stairs really suck, but whatever. The shared shower and bathrooms are no problem. My single room was small but cozy enough, with a canal view. Tight spaces are a fact of life in Amsterdam. Overall, great hotel and cheap! The biggest problem was getting some sleep from the partyers at night (and man do they keep on going even till 5:30 am!) You can close the window, it gets a little muggy but not too bad.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Thomas B
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This hotel is housed in a traditional canal house on the Prisengracht. There is a cat and a very interesting mechanism for opening the front door from the first floor. The stairs are very steep as is typical of dutch canal houses and there is no elevator. I paid my bill in full in cash upon arrival (I was there for 4 nights total); because of this, the day manager didn't have to keep my passport. When I was checkin out, the afternoon manager, a grumpy man, accused me of not having paid. I assured him that I had paid in full. Why else would you not have my passport, I asked him. The day manager had not written down that I had paid. I asked the grumpy guy to please call the day manager to confirm this. After a bit of arguing, he aquiesed and the day manager indeed confirmed that I had paid. A lot of stress and trouble for nothing. The windows in the room are very old and will not stay up unless you stick a nail in a hole that has been drilled into the sill. It is advertised that breakfast can be provided for people with early flights. I got some resistance to this request but ultimately had some bread, jam and a coffee maker delivered to my room.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This is our second stay at the Prinsenhof and we returned to celebrate our wedding anniversary
It is in a brilliant location on the Prinsengracht canal, close to some lovely bars and restaurants. We asked for room 9 again which is at the front and at the top, (good exercise). A lovely attic room with a small en-suit, a broad small set of ladders leads you to the wide window over-looking the canal and the roof- tops towards the center(it can get a little noisy in the good weather when folk are out on their boats, but we didn't mind, it added to the ambiance.
Breakfast is served on the petite breakfast room which over looks the courtyard and is decorated by an imposing 'Night watch' and a wonderful map of old Amsterdam.
Its an easy walk to all of the attractions from the hotel...looking forward to coming back next year!

Room Tip: The hotels website is great full, and full of tourist information
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pindsay
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Spent 2 nights here in May. First, let me say the location is the best thing about this hotel - very close to tram stops, nice neighborhood for wandering, shopping, simple dining.

The dining room is sweet, the classical music playing at breakfast is sooo nice (Brandenburg Concerto the morning I ate there), the breakfast itself was perfectly fine (and I loved the coffee/tea pot warmer with candle!)

The hotel itself made me uncomfortable. The room was big enough, but funky carpeting (read that as "really needs to be replaced"), dicey shower curtain, sheets that need to be replaced, as well as creaky, could hear other guests, steps in the hallway at night (yes, I know there's shared facilities). I actually put a chair up against my door when I finally went to bed.

Not particularly friendly/helpful staff. No effort to help me as I struggled with my large, heavy suitcase up the crazy narrow, steep, small entrance staircase.

Glad I only spent 2 nights. Next time, I'll start looking for a hotel sooner than I did this time. Would not stay here again, even at the price. I would actually rate this place as between Poor and Average, if I could.

Wish the hotel had lived up to its website...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I stayed here for two nights in a single room with shared facilities. It was the cheapest single i found during a really busy weekend in Amsterdam. (€49/night)

The room was big enough for me. It had a beautiful view of the canal. I had to go one floor down to take a shower, but this was not a big issue for me.

The stairs were steep, but i suppose that's the case for all hotels in amsterdam. Lucky i didn't have much luggage with me.

The location was great. You could hear noise from the pubs on the streets though. Shutting the windows would muffle the noise a bit. There is a tram stop a short walk away that will take you to and from the train station, which you can also walk to (20 mins).

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank nadio
Reviewed 11 April 2011

A bit disappointed with hotel, reasonable buffet breakfast,had to ask for towels when we arrived we were there six nights bed linen never changed or carpet hoovered, toilet could have done with a freshen up because it is in canal house steep steps to front door and to first floor,enjoyed great views of canal quiet but so handy for tram 10mins to CS nice bars and restaurants in immediate vicinity wouldnt bother wandering down to Rembrandtplein we went for a stroll with ten year old grandson early Sunday morning even then there was trouble with police and some "Gentlemen" from an unsavoury looking establishment not sure what it was but picture on window left little to the imagination.

Room Tip: pay bill by cash 5%charge for credit cards
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family