“Perfect for week-end trip!”

Max Brown Hotel Canal District
Ranked #96 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Moscow, Russia
“Perfect for week-end trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend had a short trip to Ansrerdam (just 2 days in total) so we needed some well located lodging and Chic&Basic Hotel was a perfect choice! Its situated within walking distance to Amsterdam Centraal, other public transport and stations are also nearby. You can easily reach key sightseeing points, bars, coffee shops, shopping areas from here.
Rooms are nice and well decorated, service is prompt, personell is friendly and ready to help. Breakfast is ok))
Overall we had a good stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.
Note: one needs to climb pretty steep and narrow staircase to get to some rooms, so please keep it in mind. There is no elevator in hotel

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here from July 10-14. The location was perfect - about a 5-10 minute walk from centraal station and between the downtown area and the Jordaan. Nice quiet street. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the room was tiny but clean. We only had one set of stairs to get to our room (rm 211), but it was very steep.Toast, coffee and tea are included for breakfast and there is free wifi, though depending on your location, the signal can be weak.
Overall I would stay here again if I was going back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

To cut a long story short, I booked at this hotel because I was only staying for one night and would be out for most part of the day and night.

In the worn out hotel room I discovered three black hairs on the bed when I removed the top sheets, and yes, they were the kind you don't have on your head but find somewhere else on the (male) body. The (old looking) bathroom smelled like cat urine and I had to cross some sort of covered alley that look dirty to get to my room.

Fortunately the hotel staff agreed the room looked like hell and, because no other rooms were available, booked me a room at the Park Hotel and offered to pay the difference in fees themself. Very friendly!

The last time I was in Amsterdam I stayed at the Conservatorium hotel, which you can't compare to Chic&Basic ofcourse, but because I would spend only a little amount of time in my hotel room I thought it would be wiser to spend a little less money on the hotel and more on restaurants, bars etc in the city. I hate chains like Ramada & Raddison so I thought Chic&Basic would be a good alternative for around the same amount of money (€140 a night) but my room looked more like a room you find in a hostel then something else. I don't know if I just had some bad luck but I can really advice the hotel management to freshen up the room I stayed in. And really guys, do something about that alley next to the restaurant area!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kastor_Untitled
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel is located at a lovely little street. It is calm and pleasant and just round the corner you can find lively streets with shops and restaurants.
Room are good value for money but to access the upper rooms remember stairs are narrow and very perpendicular

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for one night and it did exactly what it needed to. I had no complaints and the price was high for the basic-ness - but I think that's due to location. Very close to the train station, near nice restaurants and shops. The breakfast was basic but we didn't pay extra for it so can't really complain. It has all the basics, nice staff and felt safe.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruges
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

For £100 per night I wasn't expecting to find someone's old knickers under the bed or the room to smell of smoke.. However that's what I got. We also got on the door step for 20min whilst the receptionist cleaned the reception one night. Don't expect much for your money breakfast wise either, toast and cereal. From what I can gather your mainly paying for location which is brilliant!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple