Hotel Keizershof
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$307
US$273
US$258
US$205
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$163
  • Bar/Lounge
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$276
US$262
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$130
US$315
US$279
US$323
US$225
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$130
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrita hayworthcanal housejohn wayne roomb bthird floortop flooryogurteach morningwonderful hospitalityfriendly hostsgarden roomwithin walking distanceflights of stairsbreakfast is servedwonderful cityspent nightsfantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 April 2010

What a lovely experience. We spent 3 nights here at the beginning of our month long European trip and it was quite nice. The hotel (more like a B&B than a hotel) is modest, but accomodated all of our needs. We arrived from Montreal QC at 6:00am Holland time and were provided with orange juice and bottomless coffee upon stepping into the B&B. The hosts are friendly and very helpful, and allowed us to use their computer to notify family members we had arrived safely. Breakfast is average. The B&B is located within walking distance of all main attractions and is in a great area.
It is good to note that our room was on the 3rd floor of an enormous, narrow, spiral staircase if mobility is a concern. There is also a law firm that rents out the second floor of the house; while taking the stairs up to your room you must cross through their offices. Kind of strange. Otherwise, a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 14 March 2010

A great Bed & Breakfast hotel that has a very accommodating owner. She'll make an omelet breakfast if you wish and send you on your way from a very central location. The B & B is within a couple of blocks north of the Rijksmuseum and just several blocks south of Dam Square. Our room overlooked one of the many canals which while scenic does expose you to a little of the night noise from pedestrians.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I was planning to travel to Amsterdam alone with my 2 children (10 & 15) the summer of 2009 and was looking for a place I would feel safe in, good location, historic if possible, and one that was within my budget. I liked what I saw on the internet for Hotel Keizershof, and since the exchange rate for the Canadian Dollar was poor at the time, I simply wrote and asked if they’d be willing to give me a discount. They agreed, and I was delighted with the rate they offered. When we got there, however, they looked at us blankly and claimed I had led them to believe I had LITTLE children. Though I felt sure I had included the ages of my children, I could not be 100% certain because I had written to so many places. I simply apologized and hoped they would let us stay since my 15 year old felt ill and barely made it there. I was carrying his luggage and mine! They begrudgingly let us in but made it clear that they were unhappy about us. We felt most unwelcome. In an effort to be just I offered to pay more. For the 3 nights we were there my children hardly ate any breakfast, and on one day my 15 year old didn’t eat at all because he was so ill. At my request our hostess didn’t change any linen or do anything in the room for the day he was ill in bed. That negated her arguments that older children eat more and use more water.

I was kindly permitted to use her computer and internet to contact my husband to let him know we arrived safely, but she sat and watched what I wrote, so I didn’t feel free to check up the email I had written to her to see if I had included the ages of my children. However, I did check after we left Amsterdam, and I had most clearly stated their ages! My husband wrote to her, pointing out how unwelcome we felt and that the $150 I had paid on top of the price she had offered us really was uncalled for since I had been upfront about their ages, but of course we never heard back. I was really disappointed. I had given her the benefit of the doubt and tried to be fair and honest but she did not return that courtesy. Next time I will take copies of all agreements along.

About the room: it opens to the canal. Very noisy at night. All the sounds seem to echo up, especially the carts on cobblestone at 4 am. The people cruising down the canal with their stereos on can be clearly heard, as can conversations. Bring ear plugs and a big mosquito net. It folds quite small into a suitcase, but comes in really handy frequently in Europe, since many places don’t have screens or air conditioning. And yes, the staircase is as bad as everyone says it is. Large suitcases would simply not fit!

Breakfast was varied. The hostess wasn’t feeling well while we were there, so I was offered an omelet once and on one day her daughter made one for only two of about 12 people, but the rest of us didn’t get an offer, and we were finished eating by the time she had finished those omelets. The rest of the breakfast was fine.

There was a tiny kettle and fresh flowers in the room which made it cheery.

Do your own research on eateries and such, as you may not get any help here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank Fraumutter
Reviewed 29 November 2009

In spite of the very steep steps to our room, we were delighted with our choice. Our hosts were beyond friendly and even contributed food to our lunches for our train trip after we left. We like to find one-of-a-kind charming places wherever we visit and this hotel was memorable. We had a lovely view of the garden, a large room and all the usual amenities, plus helpful and charming hosts. It's location could not have been better. If you like your hotel rooms to be different from the ordinary, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TazDenverColorado
Reviewed 30 October 2009

What a wonderful experience! It was fabulous in every way: location, genial hosts, a beautiful clean and spacious room (we stayed on the top floor overlooking the garden with a stunning view of the Rijksmuseum); and a hearty, delicious breakfast of eggs, fresh fruit and various breads and cheeses every morning. The deVries family is lovely and were a terrific resource for exploring Amsterdam. We can't say enough positive things about our stay. Negatives? Only that you need to be aware there is a very steep spiral staircase leading upstairs. It's not a chain hotel -- obviously. This is a place where you stay IN Amsterdam and are able to enjoy the city and all it has to offer. A five-star experience!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple