“A stay at Hotel Keizershof, is a MOST delightful Dutch experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Keizershof

Hotel Keizershof
Ranked #149 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“A stay at Hotel Keizershof, is a MOST delightful Dutch experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Keizershof in April this year and it exceeded all our expectations. It is a charming seventeenth century canal-house, owned by the De Vries family and located on the picturesque Keizersgracht in the historic center of Amsterdam.
We stayed in the Rita Hayworth room, a double room on the third floor overlooking the pretty gardens below. There was a shower and toilet in our room in addition to tea and coffee making facilities. The room was spotlessly clean and spacious, the doonas and pillows were soft and fluffy and the bed was very comfortable.
Each morning we were served a delicious Dutch breakfast that consisted of juice, tea or coffee, cereal, yoghurt, jam and Mary's home-made bread and special omelettes or eggs and bacon.
The Hotel Keizershof is within easy walking distance of all historic sites, including the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Coster Diamonds Museum, Dam Square and the Amsterdam flower market. There are also some delightful pubs, great restaurants and little eateries nearby.
We were staying at the Hotel Keizershof when there was an eruption at Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland on April 17. This meant that we were unable to fly home on 18th April. Mary, her daughter Hanneke and son Ernest did all they could to keep us up-to-date with the latest developments each day. The Hotel Keizershof became our 'home away from home' and the De Vries family 'our family' who cared and comforted us until we were finally able to get on a flight home 3 days later. When it came time to go, we were genuinely sorry to leave and will be forever grateful for the kindness that was shown to us during that time.
So, if you all looking for a real Dutch family experience, look no further! The De Vries family are waiting to welcome you to their hotel. What are you waiting for? Go on, book it and I hope like us, you'll find that a stay at Hotel Keizershof is a MOST delightful experience!
Cherie and Dick Wilkinson
Sydney, Australia

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Chapala, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

Welcoming hosts. Great location on nice canel. Big room. Great breakfast. Received good recommendations with directions. Some street noise.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed in this charming B&B for 3 nights in March of 2010. We were delighted with the room, location, breakfast and hospitality. The mother, daughter and son were gracious in every way.

We found a Dutch cell phone on our first day and they were very helpful in translating the phone info and were able to contact the owner and secure it's safe return. This time was above and beyond they obligation, but they were delightful to assist.

Our room (Marlene Detrich Room on the 3rd floor) was large with a sink, table and chairs and a tv. We had a lovely view of their garden. The breakfasts were grand!!! Mary, the mother, provided us with numerous choices, toast, buns, caramel filled wafers, cornflakes, musleix, cheeses, fresh and dried fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea and a daily hot option. One day we had dutch pancakes with fresh strawberries and nutella. The second day we had cheese omlettes with chives. The third we had to leave early to catch the train on `easter. The son kindly gave us a bag of chocolate Easter cookies. We never had any cookie as good before.

Each day they gave us tips on things to do and where to go. And they even shared their living space in the evening. We had a great time sharing stories about travel, family and their B&B business.

Now we feel obligated to address the stairs. We stayed on the 3rd floor and did not struggle with the stairs. We expected stairs in Europe. And the twist, just made them more charming. If anyone has trouble with them, they may need to consider less luggage. If you do want to stay here and are concerned about the stairs book early and get the room on the 1st floor.

We traveled Europe for 6 weeks and this by far was our favorite place to stay. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
SoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Each April I visit Amsterdam for a week of meetings. I want a place to stay where I feel at home, with a location convenient to the central city, with charm and personality. I return to Hotel Keizershof every year for these reasons and more. When I arrive from America, tired and jet lagged, Mary or Hanneke greet me at the door with, "Hello, Peter. Welcome home!" My room is a great value, looks out over the Keizersgracht, and has everything I need. Each morning Mary makes me a delicious omelette or pankoeken, freshly squeezed orange juice, hot and fresh bread, and I enjoy my meal seated around a table with fellow travelers from around the world. When I want to go out and enjoy the city, it's on my doorstep. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank pedrosocal
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

What a lovely experience. We spent 3 nights here at the beginning of our month long European trip and it was quite nice. The hotel (more like a B&B than a hotel) is modest, but accomodated all of our needs. We arrived from Montreal QC at 6:00am Holland time and were provided with orange juice and bottomless coffee upon stepping into the B&B. The hosts are friendly and very helpful, and allowed us to use their computer to notify family members we had arrived safely. Breakfast is average. The B&B is located within walking distance of all main attractions and is in a great area.
It is good to note that our room was on the 3rd floor of an enormous, narrow, spiral staircase if mobility is a concern. There is also a law firm that rents out the second floor of the house; while taking the stairs up to your room you must cross through their offices. Kind of strange. Otherwise, a great experience.

• Stayed May 2009
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

A great Bed & Breakfast hotel that has a very accommodating owner. She'll make an omelet breakfast if you wish and send you on your way from a very central location. The B & B is within a couple of blocks north of the Rijksmuseum and just several blocks south of Dam Square. Our room overlooked one of the many canals which while scenic does expose you to a little of the night noise from pedestrians.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

I was planning to travel to Amsterdam alone with my 2 children (10 & 15) the summer of 2009 and was looking for a place I would feel safe in, good location, historic if possible, and one that was within my budget. I liked what I saw on the internet for Hotel Keizershof, and since the exchange rate for the Canadian Dollar was poor at the time, I simply wrote and asked if they’d be willing to give me a discount. They agreed, and I was delighted with the rate they offered. When we got there, however, they looked at us blankly and claimed I had led them to believe I had LITTLE children. Though I felt sure I had included the ages of my children, I could not be 100% certain because I had written to so many places. I simply apologized and hoped they would let us stay since my 15 year old felt ill and barely made it there. I was carrying his luggage and mine! They begrudgingly let us in but made it clear that they were unhappy about us. We felt most unwelcome. In an effort to be just I offered to pay more. For the 3 nights we were there my children hardly ate any breakfast, and on one day my 15 year old didn’t eat at all because he was so ill. At my request our hostess didn’t change any linen or do anything in the room for the day he was ill in bed. That negated her arguments that older children eat more and use more water.

I was kindly permitted to use her computer and internet to contact my husband to let him know we arrived safely, but she sat and watched what I wrote, so I didn’t feel free to check up the email I had written to her to see if I had included the ages of my children. However, I did check after we left Amsterdam, and I had most clearly stated their ages! My husband wrote to her, pointing out how unwelcome we felt and that the $150 I had paid on top of the price she had offered us really was uncalled for since I had been upfront about their ages, but of course we never heard back. I was really disappointed. I had given her the benefit of the doubt and tried to be fair and honest but she did not return that courtesy. Next time I will take copies of all agreements along.

About the room: it opens to the canal. Very noisy at night. All the sounds seem to echo up, especially the carts on cobblestone at 4 am. The people cruising down the canal with their stereos on can be clearly heard, as can conversations. Bring ear plugs and a big mosquito net. It folds quite small into a suitcase, but comes in really handy frequently in Europe, since many places don’t have screens or air conditioning. And yes, the staircase is as bad as everyone says it is. Large suitcases would simply not fit!

Breakfast was varied. The hostess wasn’t feeling well while we were there, so I was offered an omelet once and on one day her daughter made one for only two of about 12 people, but the rest of us didn’t get an offer, and we were finished eating by the time she had finished those omelets. The rest of the breakfast was fine.

There was a tiny kettle and fresh flowers in the room which made it cheery.

Do your own research on eateries and such, as you may not get any help here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family