“Great host-Great location-Great breakfast!”
Review of Hotel Keizershof

Hotel Keizershof
Ranked #150 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We arrived at 12:30PM and were greeted by the owners with a warm smile. We were informed we should take our luggage up to our room and come down whenever we were ready to register. Our room (Charlie Chaplin) was very clean, large and cheerfully decorated. We had a shower/sink in our room (with blow dryer) and shared a toilet in the hall. Our internet signal was weak according to our laptops but we had no problems using the Wi-Fi in our room...fabulous! But, in case the signal is not good, there is a wonderful living room with comfortable couch and chairs and you should have no problems. Our host and her daughter and helper continued to be gracious and start us off each morning with a full breakfast (realize this value). You might be greeted by the host two cats. There was enough good food to last us all day. Outside of carrying up our luggage to the 3rd floor (spiral stairways) it was a wonderful place to stay. The location is very good too!! We could hear some noise from the street below but not much-nothing worth keeping you away.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mroterdam

Reviewed 7 February 2011

The owners of Hotel Keizershof, the De Vries familiy, are absolutely wonderful. At their hotel, you aren't just a guest, you feel as if you are staying with old friends. I have never stayed at a bed and breakfast, but that is how I would categorize this hotel. Upon arrival they gave me some tips about the area, made me feel right at home, yet I came and went as I pleased.

My room was on the 1st floor with it's own staircase, so I didn't have to carry my suitcase too far. It overlooked the garden and although my stay was during the winter, I can only imagine how much more charming it will look in spring and summer. The room even had a beautiful antique fireplace with old delft tiles and it felt quite roomy. Although the amenities were basic, there was a tea pot in the room, the room/bathroom were clean, the bed was super comfortable, and they even had free wireless. Perhaps my favorite part was the amazing breakfast they served, I had a hard time believing it was all for the guests. If only the food in America was this good!

The hotel is centrally located on a beautiful quiet canal. The tram stops right off of the street, so it's easy to get to from Central Station. Whether you want to walk to Dam square, go to the Van Gogh museum, or the Anne Frank House, they are easily accessible from the hotel.

If I get to come back to Amsterdam, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank ziggidyz
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Enjoyed our stay here. Our room was up on the 3rd floor with a gorgeous view of the canal. The spiral staircase to get there was tight and difficult to climb with luggage, but worth it! The room was comfortable and cozy with a very clean bathroom. Breakfast was fantastic and included and the host was most generous. She gave us museum passes to use that other guests had left after their stay - saved us at least 40euros each! The location is also perfect - within walking distance of all sights and close to the tram that gets you to central station.
Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Portland_and_beyond
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Hotel Keizershof was convenient to the trams and within easy walking distance to Leidseplein.

The breakfast room was elegant. The breakfast was good and fun, visiting with the owner, Mary, and her kids, Ernest and Hanneke, who were friendly, helpful and accommodating.

We loved our room, Mae West, which had a canal view, was very clean, warm and cozy, with the toilet & shower in the hall. Climbing the steep spiral staircase, passing through business offices to get to our room on the 3rd floor, was wonderfully characteristic.

Our only negative is that we had to depart very early our last morning and did not get to enjoy the breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CarolJim
Reviewed 16 November 2010

My adult son and I stayed at Hotel Keizershof for three nights in late October. This was our first visit to Amsterdam and we booked our stay after reading some reviews and pricing some other options. We don't regret it and enjoyed our visit. The family own hotel, more like a bed and breakfast, was perfect for our needs. it is centrally located and very reasonably priced. Our room was on the third floor and if you did not pack light, you will certainly regret it once you reach the top! We chose a bedroom with a private sink and shared toilet and shower. We never saw any other guests but I know some of the other rooms were occupied. Although the room was not particularly up-to-date, it was tidy and clean. Keep in mind, we get up early and come back late. We wanted a room for sleeping and had little need for a big television and the other typically related amenities found in an a chain American hotel. We wanted some local flavor and this hotel provided it. Keep in mind it is old and there are some limitations. It is centrally located and most museums and other attractions are within easy walking distance (we like to walk . . . a lot!). Due to excellent directions provided by the owener, we easily found the hotel from Central Station using a streetcar. The owner and hostess, Mary, was delightful. She greeted us upon our arrival. The only surprises were pleasant ones. Mary and her daughter provided us excellent ideas for visiting museums and advised us concerning directions, schedules, etc. They were extremely helpful. We felt like we were staying in the home of one of our friends . .. . as it turned out we were! Now, concerning the breakfast. . . my son can eat! I usually have trouble waking him and getting him going, but after the first morning, he was up early and downstairs at the table! Mary prepared great omelettes and or waffles that accompanied a fine assortment of pastries, fruit, yogurt, cheese, sliced meats, cereals, fresh juice, coffee, tea, etc. My only problem was prying my son away from the table. All of this said, if you are expecting the big American chain with all the "amenities," this hotel is probably not for you. If you want to make some new friends, enjoy a quiet neighborhood and enjoy a true taste of Amsterdam, I recommend it. I feel like most of the previous favorable reviews are accurate. I can't speak about the negative comments because that was not our experience.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank lwhcchh
Reviewed 4 November 2010

This was my first visit to Amsterdam and my first re-entry into international travel in several years. My four days and nights here at the Hotel brought back all the positive memories and feelings of getting out and seeing the world again. If your desire is to stay in the consistent surroundings and expectations of a nice La Quinta near the mall this is not the place for you. However, if you want to savor the experience of Dutch life provided by very caring and knowledgeable folks who just happen to treat you as extended family, enjoy your grandma's breakfast fresh every morning, be within walking distance of EVERYTHING, (caveat, I LOVE to walk), give your knees and balance a little workout toward your room, find in room TV's a distraction, but views of canals and gardens a pleasure, and an excellent, excellent value for your hard earned money, this is probably your place.My only tip would be to bring a small white noise machine if you like to sleep with a fan on like I do at home. It is not noisy, sometimes it is even too quiet, just a personal thing for me. If you go and this is your first time, listen to what Mary and her family recommends for you, it is always going to be the best time. I look forward to visiting Hanneke and Mary again soon. You will not regret your stay, unless your a big fan of the Malted Waffle griddles at a Stateside hotel chain. Thank you again Mary, Joseph

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank hp18pilot
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Felt like I was staying with family or friends. Helpful advice available at any time and a very generous breakfast. Thanks ever so much for the museum pass.

Shared bathroom and toilet a little tired in the decor department (but both clean and functional). Bedroom was clean and comfortable. The stairs will definitely be an issue for someone frail.

NOTE: Enter through the black door at street level if you arrive after 5.

Would definitely stay her again...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo