“Wonderful little hotel”

Ranked #22 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Enfield
“Wonderful little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have just returned after spending 3 nights at the Hotel Clemens, having booked it after reading previous reviews on here.
It is a wonderful hotel and was everything we had expected and more. I would highly recommend it ( and already have ) to friends who may travel to Amsterdam.
The initial stairs are steep but they carry up your case for you anyway.The hotel was refurbished in March 2012 and everything is clean, fresh and modern. We were made very welcome and given a coffee in tne lovely comfortable lounge area before going to our rooms. I had a single room at the back which was lovely& quiet. I didn't find it particularly small after all, the prices were small compared to many hotels. It was clean comfortable and the shower was to die for - I have never had such a powerful shower.
Breakfast was plentiful and tasty and had everything I would have wanted. It was also a really nice touch that you could have tea or coffee from the machine whenever you wanted.
Everybody we came across was friendly and helpful and would go out of their way to help you.
Lastly I can't forget Michael and Pussy, the gorgeous cats who live in the hotel and are always around for some fuss.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to go back again when I visit Amsterdam.
Just to note, the hotel website doesn't appear to have been updates since the refurbishemnt and they have 14 rooms as opposed to the 9 it states.

Room Tip: The front rooms have quite a bit of noise from the road so if you are a light sleeper it's best...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I was made to feel welcome from the moment I arrived. All the staff I met were extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed in a single room at the rear of the hotel and although small was more than adequate and very quiet at night. There were a variety of options available for breakfast including cereal,croissants, breads,boiled eggs, cheese,cold meats and yoghurt. The location was very central, I was able to walk almost everywhere I wanted. There is a bike hire shop a couple of doors down too. There is a lovely lounge area available at all times and I loved that I could make a tea or coffee at any time. Well done to the owners. I really enjoyed my stay. Hope to see you all again one day.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AdelaideTinkerbell
Petah Tiqwa, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel really new.
Really good service
I slept there four nights and enjoyed every minute.
Is close to the center.
No hotel elevator and stairs rise is Dutch but it's not critical.
The team helps you gain the suitcase apartment.
The rooms are small.
Breakfast is fine.
The WIFI is also good reception room.
I think the hotel should get at least three stars and not two but probably because of the stairs and rooms.

Room Tip: "low floor"
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shachark3788
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We flew into Amsterdam from London and took the train from the airport to Amsterdam Central Station. From there we took the tram to the hotel. Tram 13 or 17 takes you there. Once you get off at your stop which is Westermarkt, start walking back in the direction you came from. You will cross one canal before you get to the property. The hotel has a very steep flight of stairs but the dude at the hotel will take your bags up for you so you do not need to worry about having to negotiate a steep flight of stairs with a 20+ kg suitcase! The person at reception was pleasant and checked us in after we were given some welcome drinks. We had booked a double deluxe room. The room however, is extremely tiny (the bathroom of my house is larger than this hotel room) to the point where we had no space to open our suitcase. We had to be on our feet with the bag on the bed so we could open our suit case to get our things out of it, so in a nutshell if you suffer from claustrophobia, this hotel might not be the right choice for you. This is probably the only negative aspect of the hotel because the staff were pretty good. I probably could have jumped from one end of the room to the other (yes it is that tiny) so if you do book a room here, be prepared to get a tiny room. Breakfast was included in our rate. It wasn't fabulous but it was good. The only cooked things they had were boiled eggs. (no fried eggs, bacon, grilled tomato etc) You will get mostly cheeses, croissants and danishes + tea, coffee, yogurt and cereal but since we weren't paying too much to stay here, I thought the breakfast was decent. Tripadvisor doesn't have a 3.5 star option and this for me would be perfect for this hotel so I have to give it it a 3. Had a rooms been a tad larger however, it would've had a solid 4.

(As a note for travelers flying into Amsterdam as their first destination on a long holiday to Europe, be careful when you purchase a European sim card. We bought a Lebara mobile sim card at the airport which was really cheap while using it in Amsterdam and London but at our next destination in Greece, we lost 45 Euro within a matter of minutes because of the high calling and incoming call charges) We paid 15 Euro for it and got heaps of talk time while we were in Amsterdam and London because they might fall in the same "zone" but it costs 6 euro a minute for incoming and outgoing phone calls in Greece which we didn't know about but found out rather quickly after our credit got over! Most hotels offer wifi and there are wifi hot spots in most restaurants in Europe so I used skype or facebook to message family and friends when i needed to get in touch.

Room Tip: Most rooms here are really tiny so I don't think it really matters which room you pick
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Haramkhor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Don't tell anyone but what a wonderful little hotel this is! Had the extreme fortune of uncovering this hidden gem whilst on a recent trip to the Netherlands. Where do I start? The location - perfect! Easy walk from the Central train station, just off Dam Square BUT tucked away just enough to feel quiet and peaceful away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist traps. The hotel is a short walk from streets such as Prinsengracht where you can find plenty of little bars, cafes and restaurants - perfect for sampling various brews. Naturally, all the sights are nearby too.

So what about the hotel itself - from the moment we pressed the buzzer on the street we were made to feel so welcome. The staff were amazing from start to finish. So helpful, so friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were modern and comfortable but not pretentious or cluttered. Last, but not least, the breakfast - a lovely, generous continental spread. However, the most remarkable aspect of the stay, in view of the above, was the cost. Unbelievable value.

I could go on....but.....if in Amsterdam....and you don't want to pay through the nose for a lesser experience, I'd recommend staying here....But don't tell anyone. It is a hidden gem after all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cheesybeano
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

The location of Hotel Clemens cannot be beaten. Close enough to walk to everywhere you want to go, but tucked away enough from any noise or nonsense. The staff were wonderfully welcoming and helpful. Thank goodness they were kind enough to lug my bag up THAT staircase! The included breakfast is varied and very good by European standards. The breakfast/guest area really is lovely.

The rooms are very small. We only had just enough space to place our 2 pieces of luggage. That said, the rooms are comfortable. The beds and linen are really lovely and I slept like a log. They are very new and funky.

All this for a reasonable price. Would highly recommend, but not if you are just going to hang out in your room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nat_in_viaggi
Oakdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This was my second time at the Clemens.
They have remodeled since I was last there. Great location and the staff is wonderful, very helpful.
Great breakfast!
Can't be beat for the money!
If I am ever in Amsterdam again the Clemens is where I will stay.
All most forgot, their were four of us, two couples, and we all loved it

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple