“Charming hotel with great character in an excellent location”

Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel
Ranked #89 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Fort Worth, Texas
“Charming hotel with great character in an excellent location”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for on my recent leisure trip to Amsterdam. I wanted something that was more like a guest house than a hotel, with a lot of uniqueness and charm, in a good location within walking distance of the major tourist sites -- and it didn't disappoint.

The Wiechmann is not a 5-star hotel - if that's what you are looking for, you'd better book the Marriott or Crowne Plaza. This is a charming 3-4 star hotel that is the result of 3 historic canal-houses that have been connected together. The stairs are steep and narrow, the wooden floors creak, the decor is eclectic, and I loved it!

The hotel is located on the outermost canal ring, the Prinsengracht canal. It's an easy 5 minute walk from the nearest tram stop, which from there you can also easily get to the Centraal train station and the Amsterdam Schipol airport. The "neighborhood" was very lovely and I felt very safe as I walked around. From the hotel, I walked almost everywhere in the central tourist district of Amsterdam, but took the tram sometimes just to save time (or my feet!).

The hotel had a nice sitting area in the main reception area, and if you were lucky, the friendly family dog, Taz, would be there to say hello and ask for a belly rub :) There was also a lounge with comfy chairs, a small bar, a TV and a book exchange table. Although I never used it, there was also an internet computer available for guests upon request.

The breakfast room was absolutely charming, sitting on the corner of the building, with lovely window views looking out over two canals (one on the front of the building, and the other on the side). It's easy to see that the breakfast room used to be a cafe. It was a pleasure to watch the comings and goings of the Amsterdammers as they went about their daily life while I was eating my breakfast :) The breakfast itself (which was included in the price of the room) was very satisfactory, with an assortment of cereals, fresh fruit, breads, jams, cold meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, juices, milk and coffee/tea.

I had a standard-sized single room on the 3rd floor, with a large window overlooking the Prinsengracht canal in front of the hotel. The view was stunning, it was the quintessential view of Amsterdam that I was so eager to see -- and I was even happier to have the view right out my room. My room was not lush, but it was clean, sufficient and functional. I had a large double bed (maybe it was a queen?) which was comfortable and had nice linens with a thick coverlet. The room also had a nice, small flat-screen TV mounted to the wall, a small wall-safe (which wasn't big enough for my laptop or my Kindle, but was perfect for my passport, extra cash, keys, etc.), a heater under the window, and also a freestanding electrical air-conditioner. The bathroom was somewhat small, but it was perfectly fine for one person, and all of the facilities were updated and clean. The room didn't come with a hairdryer, but the front desk was happy to loan me one during my stay. The entire hotel had complimentary wireless internet access, and I had no problems accessing it from my room -- which was a nice bonus.

The staff of the hotel were friendly and accommodating. They assisted me with directions and touristic recommendations, they printed some airline boarding passes for me, and they arranged a very early morning taxi back to the airport for me. There was also a slight discrepancy with my rate when I checked-out, and they proactively contacted me before I'd even arrived back home in the States with a resolution.

The only thing I can say negative about this hotel is that the walls and ceilings/floors were fairly thin, so I could hear most of what my neighbors were saying and doing in their rooms -- but this is something I would expect in a historical guest house. Also, although I'm very happy that my room overlooked the canal, the downside was having to deal with the noise. Amsterdam doesn't have many cars, but it does have people who are out and about at all hours of the night walking along the canals -- and the sound from their talking and laughter was amplified by the water of the canals and the buildings surrounding them like a canyon. So, because of the "street noise" and the chatter of other hotel guests, I found that the best way to sleep was with ear plugs. Also, although the steep stairs didn't bother me at all, this might be a detractor for someone who is mobility challenged or has a lot of large/heavy luggage to carry.

Overall, this hotel was perfect for me. It was precisely the experience I was looking for during my visit to Amsterdam and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to others planning to visit the city.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the canals have a lovely view, but are more noisy. If you want a quiet room, ask...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank BethanieKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Wiechmann in a quad room. The location is perfect and was easy to get to using public transportation from the airport. The room was simple. The bathroom was TINY. The stairs were STEEP! Imagine climbing a ladder with your suitcase. Overall I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and not looking for any frills.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Located overlooking one of Amsterdam's many canals, the Hotel Wiechmann is in an historical canal building. Our family of four stayed in a 2nd-floor, canal-view "family room", which was absolutely gigantic--so big in fact that when I first walked in, I thought a mistake had been made! High ceilings, creaky hardwood floors, antique wardrobe, huge bathroom. The main room had a king bed and the annex room, with sliding leaded-stained glass divider doors, had two twins for the kids. The tall windows overlooking Prinsengracht street had blackout curtains, which was nice to block out the streetlights. There was some street noise but nothing out of the ordinary; A LOT of people in Amsterdam ride bikes, which of course are quieter than cars. The kids loved the hotel dog, Taz, who was a sweetheart. Breakfast was adequate but there was no cooked food such as eggs or meats--just the basics like toast, fruit, cereal and coffee/tea. The dining room is decorated with Delftware (?) and looks out onto the street, so it was a nice spot to watch the city wake up and commute to school or work by bike. The hotel is a few walkable blocks away from most attractions and as a result has a down-to-earth vibe, very warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Canal view family rooms are spacious, but somewhat expensive.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LibbyGH
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This hotel has a lot of qualities, including the location near the Johnny Jordaan monument, along a canal from the golden age. It's one of the best two-stars hotel in this city. I was a guest in a small single room on the fourth floor, with a beautiful view of the roofs of Amsterdam on the rising sun.
This room is modern, well equipped and not so small, if you compare with what other 2* hotels propose. Special mention for the bathroom which is very clean and spacious. A little inconvenient is the absence of a mini fridge.
I don't have anything to complain about the staff of this family-run hotel. The included breakfast is copious and tasty, it's taken in a very luminous (eastern orientation), perfect to start the day in a good mood.
Safety is also taken seriously, at the entrance and with a personal safe in your room.
All of these come at a price, but if you stay more than three nights you can benefit from a 15 %, considerable reduction.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank VictorPaname
new york
Reviewed 13 September 2011

OK, the stairs on the right side of the hotel are STEEP, but the other side not so much...also the rooms that face the front of the hotel can be a little noisy sometimes, but the location, the staff & everything else about the place makes it one of the best values in amsterdam...we went with 2 other couples for 5 nites & we all agreed we would stay here again...i can't stress enough how convient this location is to stay in, literally can walk to everything...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank morgalex
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 September 2011

So it was expensive for the square footage - but that is Amsterdam. Very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed 17 August 2011

As other people have said, this hotel is quirky - the stairs have to be seen to be believed, but they were excellent preparation for our trip to the Anne Frank House! It felt as though you were staying in someone's home, rather than a 'McHotel'.
This was one of very few hotels I found which offered four-person rooms, which made it a good value stay for us and our teenage children. Our room was right at the top with four twin/single beds and a view over the rooftops. The mattresses seemed new and the linen was very clean.
Don't be put off by the €220 price per room (for four of us per night) - at least this hotel isn't charging extra for breakfast, wifi etc like all the others seem to be, and it is so centrally located that we walked to all of the tourist 'must sees' so saved on transport costs too.
The resident dog was very friendly, but was extremely well trained and did not bother us.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotel's breakfast room is on the corner of two canals - it used to be a coffee shop and we sat eating our breakfast (which was basic but plentiful - cereals, toast, fruit, cold meats and hard boiled eggs) and watched everyone going to work on their bikes ... we could have lingered for hours, but we had a list of sights to see. You definitely get a flavour of life in the centre of Amsterdam from a stay at this hotel. We would all highly recommend it, and we would go back there very happily.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family