“Be warned - you might not have a room...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel

Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel
Ranked #78 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Be warned - you might not have a room...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

We booked the hotel for three nights. On arrival, we were told that due to an error in processing our booking we didn't have a room for the 2nd of the three nights... not exactly what you want to or expect to hear when you have just arrived at your destination, ready to start your holidays.
We were told we would have to speak to the manager who wouldn't be available until 8am the next morning. The whole experience left a bad taste so rather than have the trip ruined we decided to cut our losses and move elsewhere and luckily found somewhere not too far away which was fantastic. Hotel has a huge alsatian in the reception so not for those who don't like dogs. Obviously we will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank babyeel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Location was perfect. Staff was really helpful and friendly. I loved the building. So much character, it was fun exploring. Only reason I gave it 4/5 is because our bed was not so comfortable. It was short and the mattress was not good. Also, it's cool the buffet breakfast was included but was not great. However, the sitting area where you eat is really quaint - it's in the corner part of their hotel. Great view of the streets/canals. We stayed in a room away from the street so it was really nice and quiet. Their dog is AWESOME. He's adorable and super friendly. We were walking distance to everything we wanted to see, including the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh Museum. High recommend !! Also loved the shower (we got a bathroom with a real shower head!)

PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

This hotel is a charming, affordable hotel in a great location. The room & bathroom was of decent size. The room was clean & the housekeeping staff did a great job every day. The staff was friendly and helpfu. I love that the family dog lives there and greeted the guests every day. The thing to be aware of is that the steps are steep and depending on where your room is located you may have a lot of steps to climb. The breakfast was good: fresh fruit, toast, eggs, cereal, juice, coffee & tea, etc.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty doing a lot of steps you may want to ask for a room on a lower floor. I don...
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Lovely hotel. Spacious twin room with traditional furniture overlooking canal it is lovely to watch Amsterdam go by after a day sight seeing with a well deserved cuppa. Great location. Breakfast could do with a bit more variety but was still OK. Friendly dog "guards" reception!! The steep stairs are to be expected as it is a canal house but it can be hard getting suitcases up them. The reception has various cards giving discounts at several tourist attractions. This hotel helped made our trip very enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for on my recent leisure trip to Amsterdam. I wanted something that was more like a guest house than a hotel, with a lot of uniqueness and charm, in a good location within walking distance of the major tourist sites -- and it didn't disappoint.

The Wiechmann is not a 5-star hotel - if that's what you are looking for, you'd better book the Marriott or Crowne Plaza. This is a charming 3-4 star hotel that is the result of 3 historic canal-houses that have been connected together. The stairs are steep and narrow, the wooden floors creak, the decor is eclectic, and I loved it!

The hotel is located on the outermost canal ring, the Prinsengracht canal. It's an easy 5 minute walk from the nearest tram stop, which from there you can also easily get to the Centraal train station and the Amsterdam Schipol airport. The "neighborhood" was very lovely and I felt very safe as I walked around. From the hotel, I walked almost everywhere in the central tourist district of Amsterdam, but took the tram sometimes just to save time (or my feet!).

The hotel had a nice sitting area in the main reception area, and if you were lucky, the friendly family dog, Taz, would be there to say hello and ask for a belly rub :) There was also a lounge with comfy chairs, a small bar, a TV and a book exchange table. Although I never used it, there was also an internet computer available for guests upon request.

The breakfast room was absolutely charming, sitting on the corner of the building, with lovely window views looking out over two canals (one on the front of the building, and the other on the side). It's easy to see that the breakfast room used to be a cafe. It was a pleasure to watch the comings and goings of the Amsterdammers as they went about their daily life while I was eating my breakfast :) The breakfast itself (which was included in the price of the room) was very satisfactory, with an assortment of cereals, fresh fruit, breads, jams, cold meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, juices, milk and coffee/tea.

I had a standard-sized single room on the 3rd floor, with a large window overlooking the Prinsengracht canal in front of the hotel. The view was stunning, it was the quintessential view of Amsterdam that I was so eager to see -- and I was even happier to have the view right out my room. My room was not lush, but it was clean, sufficient and functional. I had a large double bed (maybe it was a queen?) which was comfortable and had nice linens with a thick coverlet. The room also had a nice, small flat-screen TV mounted to the wall, a small wall-safe (which wasn't big enough for my laptop or my Kindle, but was perfect for my passport, extra cash, keys, etc.), a heater under the window, and also a freestanding electrical air-conditioner. The bathroom was somewhat small, but it was perfectly fine for one person, and all of the facilities were updated and clean. The room didn't come with a hairdryer, but the front desk was happy to loan me one during my stay. The entire hotel had complimentary wireless internet access, and I had no problems accessing it from my room -- which was a nice bonus.

The staff of the hotel were friendly and accommodating. They assisted me with directions and touristic recommendations, they printed some airline boarding passes for me, and they arranged a very early morning taxi back to the airport for me. There was also a slight discrepancy with my rate when I checked-out, and they proactively contacted me before I'd even arrived back home in the States with a resolution.

The only thing I can say negative about this hotel is that the walls and ceilings/floors were fairly thin, so I could hear most of what my neighbors were saying and doing in their rooms -- but this is something I would expect in a historical guest house. Also, although I'm very happy that my room overlooked the canal, the downside was having to deal with the noise. Amsterdam doesn't have many cars, but it does have people who are out and about at all hours of the night walking along the canals -- and the sound from their talking and laughter was amplified by the water of the canals and the buildings surrounding them like a canyon. So, because of the "street noise" and the chatter of other hotel guests, I found that the best way to sleep was with ear plugs. Also, although the steep stairs didn't bother me at all, this might be a detractor for someone who is mobility challenged or has a lot of large/heavy luggage to carry.

Overall, this hotel was perfect for me. It was precisely the experience I was looking for during my visit to Amsterdam and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to others planning to visit the city.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the canals have a lovely view, but are more noisy. If you want a quiet room, ask...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank BethanieKay
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Wiechmann in a quad room. The location is perfect and was easy to get to using public transportation from the airport. The room was simple. The bathroom was TINY. The stairs were STEEP! Imagine climbing a ladder with your suitcase. Overall I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and not looking for any frills.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Located overlooking one of Amsterdam's many canals, the Hotel Wiechmann is in an historical canal building. Our family of four stayed in a 2nd-floor, canal-view "family room", which was absolutely gigantic--so big in fact that when I first walked in, I thought a mistake had been made! High ceilings, creaky hardwood floors, antique wardrobe, huge bathroom. The main room had a king bed and the annex room, with sliding leaded-stained glass divider doors, had two twins for the kids. The tall windows overlooking Prinsengracht street had blackout curtains, which was nice to block out the streetlights. There was some street noise but nothing out of the ordinary; A LOT of people in Amsterdam ride bikes, which of course are quieter than cars. The kids loved the hotel dog, Taz, who was a sweetheart. Breakfast was adequate but there was no cooked food such as eggs or meats--just the basics like toast, fruit, cereal and coffee/tea. The dining room is decorated with Delftware (?) and looks out onto the street, so it was a nice spot to watch the city wake up and commute to school or work by bike. The hotel is a few walkable blocks away from most attractions and as a result has a down-to-earth vibe, very warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Canal view family rooms are spacious, but somewhat expensive.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family