“An OK Amsterdam experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel

Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel
Ranked #79 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Richmond,Virginia
“An OK Amsterdam experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

I stayed at the Wiechmann one weekend night in March. I was looking for a good and inexpensive experience (I've been splurging too much lately) and picked the Weichmann over more upscale properties because of the price. Overall it was not bad and not great.
The pluses: the hotel staff was uniformly helpful, cheerful, and polite. The big lobby dog was a treat to play with. The room was clean and had a small keyed safe. The bed was comfy. Breakfast was OK with lots of good coffee. Oh -- and the location was good. Not right on the middle of everything, but a quick walk to the Dam and shopping areas, and very close to a nice coffeehouse and couple of bars.
The drawbacks: the room (and I had the cheapest single) was incredibly small -- the room was barely wide enough for the bed. I had no view. There were free computers with internet access near the lobby, but the network login password wasn't working so I could not use it until the next morning. I didn't mind the steep and winding stairs, but then I only had a backpack.
So very middle-of-the-road. A good choice if you're watching your Euros - especially if you can get a canal view room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small, uncharming room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank danfortuna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

Good location.Doesnt serve any tea or coffee apart from at breakfast time though. No facilities in room to do so either.
Very comfy beds.very clean.nice decor.Had one of the back rooms with no views atall. Would definately want one at front if possible next time.
Alsatian dog in lobby and breakfast room.Very steep stairs.Not suitable for anyone with any mobility problems.
All in all very satisfactory.Would stay again.

• Liked — The comfy bed and location
  • Disliked — No Tea and coffee
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Llyngwyn
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2007

The Wiechmann is in a great location, on the Prinsengracht, walking distance to everything. We had a room on the 3rd floor and getting our substantial luggage up there was a dreadful experience. The stairs are steep and twisted and not contiguous so you're switching from one staircase to another mid-trip. We were later told that normally someone would have carried our bags, but there was only one new person on desk duty that evening. They did find someone to bring our bags down when we checked out. We were there for three days and enjoyed the hotel and the location. We had the only room with a balcony and, although it was cold and rainy during our stay, this was a feature we enjoyed. Otherwise, the room wasn't memorable; in fact, there was mold on the bathroom ceiling. But everything worked well and we were happy there. We took advantage of the free computer use on the main floor every day of our stay. Breakfast is included in the price and there were boiled eggs and equipment to toast your bread. Other than that, it was the standard breakfast served in these kinds of places....lousy lunch meat, lousy cheese, a basket of winter fruit., cheap bread, canned peaches and, of course, abundant coffee and tea. We encountered great variation in the helpfulness of the staff. When we asked for additional pillows the first night, we were asked to come down and get them! We told the guy that he was younger than us and should bring them up! And there were a couple of women at the front desk who knew nothing about the surrounding neighborhood...even telling us to go as far as the Leidseplein to find a public telephone when we later found one around the corner! There's no excuse for untrained, uneducated front-desk staff at a hotel that charges 140E/night. On our last day, the owner of the hotel, helped us locate a hotel in Brussels for our last night, and we were very appreciative of his assistance. He did, however, charge us for the phone calls he made to Belgium.

3 Thank clapton1
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2007

I just returned from Amsterdam for the first time, and what a wonderful place it is! It is just as cool as I have always heard it is, only cooler! Just a beautiful city, sort of like a large Greenwich village, with canals, boats, and bikes running all through it. Cobblestone strreets with great little bars, cafes and "coffee shops" ;-) around every corner. My partner and I walked for hours, day & night. The whole city seems so sureal. The streets are quiet, with very few cars, tons of bikes, and 15th & 16th century buildings lining canal after canal. We both felt very relaxed and really enjoyed the whole experience.

The Wiechmann Hotel is a great place to stay. It is not a luxury hotel, nor is it trying to be. If that is what you are looking for you may be disappointed...and you will pay more. It is a fairly simple, typical European style, small Hotel. It is well run, clean, and charming in its own way...with a few extras that make it special.

First, all the rooms are non-smoking, and so is the breakfast room. This was my main reason for choosing this hotel, as I am easily bothered by the smell of smoke. Smoking is only permitted in the lobby/lounge area, while we were there this was not a problem. I assume most of the guests are non-smokers as well. I so appreciate the few non-smoking places in Amsterdam, this is one of them. (By the way, there actually are a few restaurants that are starting to offer smoke free rooms or areas, and it is indicated on the window with a decal. Of course there are also all the wonderful outdoor cafes, where the smoking is less bothersome)

Next, the location of the hotel is perfect, as so many other reviewers have said. It sits right across the road from one of the central canals with wonderful views from the lobby and breakfast room of passerby's on foot and bicycle. From this spot you can walk to just about everywhere, in any direction. If you head straight out the door and across the bridge just in front of the hotel it takes you directly into the heart of town by way of plenty shops, bars and cafes. If you walk to the left, you will come to The Joordan area with more quaint shops, bars and cafes. If you walk to the right, it is a few blocks to Leidstraat, a main central road, and Leidsplein, a cool commercial square with banks, bars, restaurants, stores, tourist info and canal boat tours. From here you can catch one of the easy to use trams which connect the whole city, and to the central train station. The trams are great when you get tired of walking.

The hotel, which comprises three canal house buildings in a row, is architecturally beautiful on the outside. At night it is lit-up and looks really nice from across the canal. Our room in the back, on the third floor was basic and simple: Two single beds pushed together with comfortable enough mattresses; a table, two chairs, desk area, a key-safe, and an armoire to unpack into; a decent size bathroom and shower with soap and shampoo; and two large windows that opened to let in the fresh air. It was very neat and clean, with maid service everyday. And yes, the stairs! They are steep and narrow and tiring, and like most similar hotels, there is no elevator.

The breakfast was also simple but enjoyable. Nothing to write home about but it was free! Good coffee, toast, jams, cereal, boiled eggs, ham, cheese and a little fresh fruit. The view from the room, as described, is very storybook!

I found the staff to be efficient and cordial, as I found the Amsterdamers in general. I would not describe the Dutch as gregarious people, but always polite and courteous, in a mind-your-own-business sort of way, which suits me just fine.

As a point of reference, I own a restaurant, so I know what it takes to run a business and to try to please people. No matter how hard you try there will always be some who are not satisfied. I read a few of the negative comments below, but I also read between the lines, and I am glad I did. I cannot say I have any complaints about this hotel. I am obviously recommending it to those seeking a well run, perfectly adequate, and relatively inexpensive, place to stay. As I said it is not a luxury resort, but it is a really cool place to stay in a really cool city. When I return to Amsterdam, I will stay here again for sure.

• Liked — Location, Simple Charm
  • Disliked — Climbing the stairs
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank seatosea
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

I stayed one night at this hotel, in June 2007. The physical facility is decent (as long as you're healthy enough, and have moderately sized suitcases, so that the steep narrow staircases won't give you trouble.) But the service orientation is really lacking. I paid 100 euros for my room, and neither the TV nor the wireless internet was working, not exactly what I expect for that price.

When I went to check out, I asked the girl at the desk if these deficiencies might merit some price reduction, she said no but she'd call the owner to see what he said. His response was a big laugh. I told her OK but pointed out that in this day and age with people posting reviews of their hotel experiences on the internet, I would feel obligated to inform people of both positive and negative aspects of my stay. I was being polite the whole time, as I was certainly not in a position to demand a reduced price (the hotel was in no way obligated), I just wanted to see if they'd want to give one to show that they recognized the deficiences as not normal. Nonetheless her immediate response was to say in an offended way, "That sounds like a threat!"

So if you'd like to stay at a place where tripadvisor reviews are seen as a threat, then the Wiechmann Hotel is the place for you ;-). Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank CameraTotinMan
Wiechmann, owner at Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2007
It is too bad that your review only tells the readers that you were not able to access the internet with your computer and that the tv did not work. No other guests made any complaints. My apologies for any inconvenience. It does help to give the hotel staff this information before check-out.
I appreciate any review. It does not matter what people say, as long as they talk about you.

Cardross, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

We spent the last 3 nights of our honeymoon at the Hotel Wiechmann in May 2007.

We booked through the hotel's website, which is easy to use and you know exactly what type of room you are booking, which is rarely the case in my experience of booking hotel rooms. I was desperate for a canal view, having stayed in Amsterdam three times previously in a succession of rooms with appalling views (at both the Pulitzer and Krasnapolsky we overlooked internal corridors/roofs and at the Swissotel, unbelievably, the window was only feet away from the wall of the next building and allowed very little daylight into the room.) Most hotels offering rooms with canal views charge exorbitant rates for these rooms. We booked a double room at the Wiechmann with bath, shower and canal view, with breakfast included, for 150 Euros per night, which compared very favourably with rates I had been offered elsewhere.

We took a taxi from the Dorint Sofitel Amsterdam Airport (an excellent hotel - see my review elsewhere), which cost 35 Euros. You could not ask for a more central hotel than the Hotel Wiechmann. Amsterdam is right on your doorstep, with Dam Square and Leidseplein both within walking distance. Be prepared, though, that the hotel decor is very old fashioned and may not be to everyone's taste - as another reviewer wrote, it is a little like staying at your grandparents' house. Our room wasn't huge; large enough for a double bed, wardrobe, dressing table, a small table and an armchair. There was no mini bar but there was a small wall safe. However, even if I wasn't bowled over by the decor and facilities, I certainly got my canal view! Wow! We had a corner room and the whole of the outside wall on two sides of the room consisted of floor to ceiling windows, two of which opened onto a ledge with a pretty wrought iron grill to elbow height, almost like having a balcony. And the canal is right outside. The only drawback with the central location and canal view is that it is very noisy at night - we were there over a weekend, though; perhaps it isn't as bad during the week. We were on the first floor (i.e. one floor up from the street) and, while trying to get to sleep, I could overhear people asking for directions in the street below.

The first time we went down to breakfast we were extremely disappointed. It was a Saturday morning and very busy. The tables are packed in tight and there was barely space to pull out a chair to sit down. Breakfast is essentially an unsupervised buffet, with a pretty limited selection. We didn't bother with breakfast on the Sunday morning, but decided we should on the Monday morning as we were flying home that evening and had a long day ahead of us. It was a completely different experience. The breakfast room was almost desserted and we were able to sit at a table in the window with views out onto the street and canals. It was lovely.

Be warned that, although the rooms are non-smoking, the public areas are not, and you have to pass through these to reach the rooms. Smoke also tends to drift up the stairs towards the rooms, which is very unpleasant. The stairs might cause problems for some, as they are very steep and narrow and you have to carry your own luggage. The staff were civil but not exactly chatty.

On a more positive note, there is a small computer room behind reception with unlimited free internet access, which we really appreciated. A previous hotel had charged 5 Euros for 30 minutes.

If you are looking for a bed and breakfast (because that is what this is, really) in central Amsterdam with enviable canal views, I would definitely recommend Hotel Wiechmann.

• Liked — Wonderful canal views
  • Disliked — Crowded breakfast room on busy days
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bunnny
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel for a long weekend break. It was in a beautiful and quite part of town, right on a canal. The room was clean, fresh and spacious. The hotel had a slightly old, but almost kitsch decor that was harmless. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was simple, but adequate and the view from the breakfast room was amazing. The price was just about reasonable considering the guide book said that hotels in Amsterdam are quite pricey and anything under 80 euros would be cold damp and terrible! I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Stairs were steep but they all are in Central Amsterdam!
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple